Pop-r 02-Jun-22
Thornton 02-Jun-22
Pop-r 02-Jun-22
Thornton 02-Jun-22
Pat Lefemine 07-Jun-22
KB 07-Jun-22
Shawn 07-Jun-22
28-Apr-22
With the deadline fast approaching, I had a question about buying a point only.

The website lets me select a NR deer point only, without needing a hunting license.

does this work? will you be awarded a point with purchasing only that option? without a valid license?

29-Apr-22
Their website states one of the choices to be:

"- $26.50 Preference Point. A nonresident hunter who does not want to hunt in the current season can purchase a preference point that will count toward a white-tailed deer permit in a future drawing."

I'm buying a point that way without a license.

29-Apr-22
Yes, and it is wise to do so cause in the very near future you will need a point to draw. 5 or 6 years ago, most everyone drew. It was like 95-97% now I believe it is down to under 65 percent. Shawn

29-Apr-22
When is the draw deadline?

29-Apr-22
^^^ Yesterday if you're applying for my unit. Today if you're applying for a different unit. :)

JK.... I have 1 point so I should draw anyway.

29-Apr-22
Today, 4/29, is the deadline to apply.

29-Apr-22
Yes they are saying 1 point will pretty guarantee you a tag but that will change in the near future as they get like 30 thousand folks applying for 20 thousand tags and it keeps getting worst. Shawn

29-Apr-22
I went to apply for a point and it didn't look like it was available for another two weeks. Am I missing something?

29-Apr-22
Ike, if you don't do it today you will have missed something!

29-Apr-22
LOL @ Greg!

Thanks for the heads up, just bought one. :)

29-Apr-22
Do the points expire in KS?

29-Apr-22
They did not used too but now I believe after 5 years. Shawn

29-Apr-22

sitO's Link
The best source of information, for any of these questions, would be to call the KDWP or visit the website(link attached). Or, you could rely on Al Gore and the rest of his wizards here on the World Wide Web.

29-Apr-22
I grew up in Kansas and am curious what would draw anyone to pay to hunt there ?

29-Apr-22

greg simon's Link

30-Apr-22
I remember when there used to be left over NR deer tags in Kansas

30-Apr-22
I remember when there were no nonresident deer tags in KS

30-Apr-22
5ks, come hunt in northern Wisconsin where wolves have decimated the deer population and you might understand. I would have never branched out to as many other states if northern Wisconsin hunting hadn't been destroyed. I'm not the only one either, many hunters from Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan are looking elsewhere due to decimation of deer herds by wolves. You guys in Kansas might think that wolves don't affect you but states without wolves like Kansas are going to see an ongoing increase in nonresident hunters as wolves continue to run rampant with absolutely no management and displace more and more hunters.

01-May-22
No, Kansas won’t see more NR hunters, they already cap how many show up. (The one caveat is NR landowners are not capped on hunting their own land)

What IS happening for the NR though is it’s getting harder to draw a tag each year. May end up like Iowa someday

01-May-22
Yes, you're correct about Kansas not having more hunters but "states without wolves like Kansas" such as Missouri, Nebraska, etc that have OTC tags will continue to see more nonresident hunters. I realize that the actual number of nonresident hunters in Kansas may not be increasing due to the cap but if that's the case I wonder why some of the residents I have run into complain about increasing pressure from nonresidents. It could be that with increasing competition for tags, the people that draw tags might be more serious and spend more time actually hunting so therefore it seems like there is more pressure.

01-May-22
It is getting out of control in Kansas. I wish they would change and be just like Iowa. Make it a draw state that requires no less than 2 points and reduce non resident tags to a total of 4 or 5 thousand tops. Shawn

01-May-22
There’s wolves in Nebraska 3 have been shot in the last year

01-May-22
I hope it ends up like Iowa someday for NR. We'd actually be able to to show everyone what it used to be like and people might stop thinking a 150" is a big buck.

02-May-22
I doubt that the Nebraska wolf population is anywhere near the wolf population in Minnesota, Wisconsin or the Michigan UP.

I like being able to hunt Kansas during the years I'm waiting to draw Iowa but I also wouldn't mind less competition there. And I sure would like to have hunting on public land that was so good that I could start thinking that a 150" is a small buck...

02-May-22
If Kansas went to four or five thousand tags you’d be waiting a hell of a lot longer than three years Shawn. It’s amazing most of Iowa is still under four points. But that probably speaks to access more than anything.

02-May-22
Iowa is definitely Resident friendly- they can still get 2 buck tags while NR are limited to 1. If Iowa limited all hunters to 1 buck like Kansas then they could give out more NR tags like Kansas does. Not that any Iowans (other than some outfits) would want that.

02-May-22
KB, Iowa only gives out 3600 or so archery tags, Iowa can still be drawn with a couple few points. Some are 4,5 and gonna be 6 years, I would wait 3 or 4 years to hunt Kansas as well. Shawn

02-May-22
I can see competition in Kansas affecting the perceived hunting pressure as mentioned.

Land and Leases are getting more expensive, hunters turning to limited public land, and actually hunting harder with the social media driven Trophy quest or need to shoot something.

02-May-22
Wilderness I believe one issue is a lot of guys really want a trophy and what they think is a P&Y deer from the tree turns out a lot of times to be 115" deer. So instead of actually waiting and killing a 140" deer they shoot the first good buck that comes along. It also doesnt help that the guys from the midwest say "I dont see these guys shooting a 150" deer and thinks its big!! In 75% of the states out there a 150" deer is huge!! Last bit of my rant, I am also tired of all these YOUTUBE "heros" saying giant buck down, or 150" 9 pt and 9 out of 10 times the giant buck is 110-115" buck and the 150" deer is lucky it goes mid 130s. Shawn

03-May-22
Shawn, I don't understand what your saying when you wrote:

It also doesnt help that the guys from the midwest say "I dont see these guys shooting a 150" deer and thinks its big!!

03-May-22
Someone posted that guys coming from say the east or other states said guys shoot a 150" deer and they think its big. Almost to say a 150" deer isnt a big deer in Kansas, I totally disagree a 150" whitetail is a big buck anywhere. The problem is comments like that leave NRs thinking there is a giant behind every tree in Kansas when a 150 is even hard to come by in Kansas. Shawn

04-May-22
Shawn, As a life long hunter that has been killing big deer in Kansas since before NR were allowed to hunt here. You use to be able to find 3-4 150" bucks in a section or two of ground. 175"+ buck was the shooter and a 200" buck was the goal. We have lost about 4" per decade since the 90s on average. So you are about right a 155" is now the shooter and the goal is a 180" buck. I dont scout 20-30 sections like I use to but feel i am pretty correct with this statement on out best 6 sections of ground we run cams on.

04-May-22
Matte is right on. I guided and leased a lot of land in college. An old outfitter told me once in 2005 that about every thousand acres should have a Boone and Crockett buck on it. Now, every local knows when a Booner is killed because there might only be a couple in an entire county, if that. The first year I guided in 2005, several of our nonresident hunters were letting 150" bucks walk right on by. That year, we killed a 172", a 186", a 160"s, a 155" (I shot it) and a 150".

04-May-22
Still find it funny Kansas does not have a 200" whitetail even entered in their state records and not a whole bunch over 180"s. I understand what some are saying but I look at the reality and even most Kansas hunters do not pass on 150" whitetail even 20 years ago they didn't. I believe less tags would help but a lot of the harvest is Kansas guys road hunting so not just less tags for NRs but all the wy around. Shawn

04-May-22
A lot of big deer are not scored because many like me don't give a dam.

04-May-22

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
Keepemsharp is correct. The competition for leases and wealthy nonresident buying huge ranches has caused people to clam up. Several bucks from our state would beat the world record Hanson buck. One guy on this site, a well known outdoor publicist, knows where an unreported world record mount hangs, and he ain't sayin' who or where it's at. Our other buck, the Kansas King, was never killed that we know of, and it would have went 218" typical. My favorite is the Pickell Buck, a 249" killed next to my Dad's ranch, shot with a recurve bow. Dad spoke to Mr. Pickell in person, and the buck was killed 2 miles from where Outdoor Life reported it, next to my Dad's fence. Take note of how many big ones were killed before the state was opened to nonresidents.

04-May-22

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
KS
KS
Yes looking at the KS top 20 for rifle and archery there are no Typical bucks netting over 200”. That is a very lofty mark…..

The Non-typical category as listed above (archery) does have some nice bucks, the top rifle is at 280” net entered.

I do think most would be happy with a net 190” buck!

04-May-22
That’s a heck of a buck, wildwilderness, but I’m not seeing 190” net. Too many deductions, IMO.

04-May-22
Yeah, not our buck but I know where the property is. Was reportedly 196” gross so would net less like you said. I included it for perspective.

I do standby by most people would be happy with a 190” net whitetail!

05-May-22
Agreed. I’m tickled pink if they make 190”, gross! ;-)

05-May-22

KS
KS
The hard thing with A big typical is that old bucks usually grow some trash.

I know where this buck was killed in KS and reportedly went 221” gross. The bucks in this area have big bodies, hitting 300lbs so antlers don’t “look” big

05-May-22

05-May-22
Everyone is making my point!!! Most everyone except few Kansas guys all seem to say they would be thrilled with 150" plus buck typical or non typical. Shawn

06-May-22
I can sympathize to a certain extent with you Kansas residents who have seen a degradation in the quality of deer hunting over the past couple decades. Now just imagine what it would be like to have over 500,000 acres of public land with huge forests to hunt that has experienced a 90% reduction in the deer herd and is now practically devoid of deer. All the time you've invested, all the traditions you have built and all the money you have invested in your deer hunting camp/land is now almost a total waste. The value of your real estate has dropped below what you paid for it over 20 years ago because there is no longer any demand for hunting camp land in an area that is devoid of deer due to wolves. You guys believe things are bad but you probably haven't experienced what bad really is. I'll take your "bad" and appreciate it because the hunting I loved in northern Wisconsin is gone forever...

29-May-22
Anyone know when non resident Kansas draw is done? Wish these draws were done earlier. Makes planning hunts harder than necessary

29-May-22
Looks like the results were out about May 26 last year. I checked my KS account and didn’t see any results…

30-May-22

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
I hunted Kansas often in the 90’s, but quit when they liberalized NR quotas. Thanks to, of course, a lame duck corrupt politician who owned a huge ranch. He went into outfitting after his term ended. Go figure. I saw public hunters increase and the awesome quality decline. Been sitting on 4 points over a decade. Public had no where near the appeal to me since tags jumped. These days I have an IL LL so can hunt 1/35th the price and drive a lot less.

01-Jun-22
“We were told a couple more weeks,” is the report I was given when I called Pratt this morning. Results have been out May 21-25 dating back to 2018. The new system rumors must be true.

02-Jun-22
Thornton, I'm curious IF you thought the outfitter was correct or was as dumb as anyone hunting deer in Kansas?

02-Jun-22
I really don't get either one of your questions. Up until the early 2000's, the outfitter was very correct.

02-Jun-22
I apologize if that was the case. That's unbelievable to me! Seems they'd have killed alot more of them if that was in fact the real deal. I would think if a man knew a B&C buck lived on this 1k acres in KS he'd be pretty much considered dead. Or a good chance of it.

02-Jun-22
We did kill a lot of them. This was before failure feeders, nonresidents and trail cameras came into existence. Literally every hunter I grew up knowing that hunted anytime between the first season in the 1960's and the late 90's had at least one booner. Most were killed with recurve or those big wheeled laminated Browning compounds. There are several booners I saw in person last summer a little over a mile from my farm on a strictly managed, 1600 acres that just sold for several million.

07-Jun-22
Any word on when they will be publishing the draw results?

07-Jun-22

KB's Link
“Soon”

And… “record applications.”

07-Jun-22
Yeah mid june at the earliest!! Shawn

• Sitka Gear