Swampbuck 08-May-22
t-roy 08-May-22
wildwilderness 08-May-22
LKH 08-May-22
t-roy 09-May-22
rock50 09-May-22
rock50 09-May-22
29-Apr-22
What would you recommend for brand of electric fence for a one acre corn food plot?

Cost?

Solar?

Type of battery?

Any helpful tips for do’s and don’ts?

29-Apr-22
Hunt98…..look up “Foodplot fencing Ideas” on here. Lots of good info for what you’re looking for. Solar fencers are pretty foolproof. You can probably, most likely, buy all of the individual components you will need, at any farm supply store, quite a bit cheaper than a specialty kit.

29-Apr-22

Lewis 's embedded Photo
Lewis 's embedded Photo
I did mine with parmak charger 1 inch electric tape and I simply used uline wrapping tape for the inside 2 lines very inexpensive and the two inside are not charged and have not been broken through going on the third year hope this helps Good luck

30-Apr-22
Parmak good charger , buy larger than you need . Not sold in big box stores . Don't p on hot fence .

30-Apr-22
X3 on the Parmak.

30-Apr-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo

30-Apr-22
Get the mounting bracket that fits on a t post and you’re good to go good luck Lewis

30-Apr-22

bigswivle's embedded Photo
I have a Gallagher unit that does 18miles. Solar charger, four strands of hot wire and one strand of ground wire(all slick wire, no rope stuff) Material cost was about 2500$ for 12 acres. Nothing getting in and a steady 8700 volts

30-Apr-22
I have a Gallagher unit that does 18miles. Solar charger, four strands of hot wire and one strand of ground wire(all slick wire, no rope stuff) Material cost was about 2500$ for 12 acres. Nothing getting in and a steady 8700 volts

30-Apr-22

30-Apr-22

Buck Watcher's embedded Photo
Wire $50 (I use the rope kind). Clips$15 12V Fencer $50. T posts (all from FF or Menards). And an deep cycle battery.

I have a 120V for 25 years, zero issues. My neighbor has a 12V fencer and his battery lasts all season on 1 charge.

30-Apr-22
Do deer jump and Electric Fence?

30-Apr-22
To each his own but you don’t need wire simple wrapping tape and electric tape works great at a much more economic cost and you can carry it around not much weight mine is going on 3 years old good luck Lewis

30-Apr-22
I've got 2 Parmaks that are over 20 years old. Been in constant use. A third one failed because the seal leaked on the control unit and it corroded to death.

I've always used solid steel wire. Lasts forever and I had a device made out of scrap steel and tire rims to wind wire up for use on a new plot.

30-Apr-22
Wildwilderness……..deer can easily jump the electric fence, however, the concept behind the plot fence configuration is, the distance between, and the differing heights of the inner and outer fencing, supposedly messes with their depth perception. I’ve been using them for the last 10-15 years, with very good success. It won’t keep every deer out, but it does keep the overwhelming majority of them out.

02-May-22
Nice clean pic's of those E fence set ups . It would be overkill but I have an Parmak se4 50 miler . I don't have a pig in there race but do own also a Cyclops Super . Really well built unit . If anybody here never heard of them , might wanna surf the web and look up the Cyclops line . They make "higher joule " stuff .

02-May-22
Gallagher for my portable horse corral. In western Montana that’s the standard.

08-May-22

Pat Lefemine's DeerBuilder embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

I know a lot of guys are hesitant to put up a single row e-fence because they are pretty easy for deer to jump them. While that is true, and a 2-row efence is better, you still get amazing results with a 1-row deterrent fence.

Check out this photo taken last year in my Ohio soybean kill plot. The one row fence, that deer can easily jump, has dramatically better growth than the non-fenced section.

This is just a simple, one-row fence with a rural king solar charger. The unit, poles, and wire cost me $400 one-time and I get to use it every year. So if you think it's not worth it to invest in an e-fence due because it won't be a complete deterrent, think again. It really is worth it.

08-May-22
I see the fences with double or triple wires offset on depth. Then I see a few pictures that are all straight depth like barbed wire

Will the single plane one work off the electric alone?

08-May-22
X2 on Bigs, can’t do plots but can do small melon, squash

08-May-22
Hogs in FL DON’T care. They eat everything

08-May-22
Not quite sure I understand your question, wildwilderness.

08-May-22

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Cattle e-fence
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Cattle e-fence
My question is if a simple e-fence like this picture work to keep deer out?

Note the wires or not at different “levels” or “inset “

08-May-22
Single plain is not very effective. Deer come up to it and leap with ease, even with 48" wire.

09-May-22
Agree with LKH. If they have access to readily available browse outside of the fence (as in Pat’s pic) then you might get away with it, but if you’re the only game in town, in the immediate area, then I highly doubt a single tiered fence would deter them very much, if at all.

09-May-22

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo

09-May-22

rock50's embedded Photo
Protecting young oak trees
rock50's embedded Photo
Protecting young oak trees

• Sitka Gear