DonVathome 03-May-22
MQQSE 03-May-22
DonVathome 03-May-22
Jody 06-May-22
IdyllwildArcher 06-May-22
Treeline 06-May-22
BULELK1 07-May-22
30-Apr-22
I think this is the week for Wyoming to draw their last pre 90/10 draw for sheep, moose, goat and bison.

Good luck to everyone that is in the running. I think everyone who is high on the point totals is trying to unload them.

Hopefully I’ll be back with a sheep tag later this week!

30-Apr-22
Good luck, hopefully some bowsiters will draw. I'll be eager to see the draw stats this year. I know there were 388 NR's going into this year's draw with 22 or more points, and there should be around 45 ram licenses issued. In a normal year, roughly about half of that group applies for a license. Of course this year is far from normal. Maybe a bunch of them snoozed?

30-Apr-22
May 5.

30-Apr-22
I'm in for Sheep & Moose with 22 points. Bison & Goat also. It's going to be a long 3 weeks. Bulk of the Western States post next 3 weeks. Good Luck All !!

30-Apr-22
Sheep with 22 but will probably not draw… Sad how all messed up every state’s point system has gotten. At least there is still some hope…

30-Apr-22
I am so glad I drew my moose tag last year, with 19 points. I’m pulling for all you high points guys to draw your tags!

01-May-22

BULELK1's embedded Photo
'Only' $750.00 for a Non-Ressy Bull tag when I drew out.
BULELK1's embedded Photo
'Only' $750.00 for a Non-Ressy Bull tag when I drew out.
I'm glad I got my Wyo-Moose a few years ago.

I've only got like 3 points on a Ram so this will be my last year.

I've strongly suggested to many of my fellow non-Ressy friends to go for units; 9, 10, 20 or 22 with their over 20 Moose points.

Good luck, Robb

03-May-22
I agree this year is going to be very interesting. SS I am also curious how many more apply vs just buy a point. I am guessing not a whole lot more. I suspect the half that sit out are not really following stuff, and do not care to much when they draw. If they did they would be applying, and drawing, tags. I am really hoping to get my moose tag this year but I only have 20 points so there are only 3 units (4 tags I think) I can draw. It is likely I will not draw, but hopefully. Based on history if the 90/10 was not in place next year I would be pretty much sure to draw.

I am very excited for Friday I will be on a plane in the air when results come out. I am ponying up the $7 for wifi access so I can check my results:)

Yes that was a joke I am spending $7 to find out if I drew my $2k tag:)

Good luck everyone!

03-May-22

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo
Emails are coming out. Son just received his with a link to all the No’s.

03-May-22
WY moose is up. Applied for 26 with 21 pts, no luck. Maybe in another 10 years….

03-May-22
HOLLLY HECK I drew my sheep tag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No moose. I thought I would draw moose and not sheep. Unit 22 but I can hunt unit 5 starting 10/1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-May-22
And cow bison again! JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-May-22
Congrats Don!

03-May-22
Congrats!

Nothing for anyone in my house. 23 points for sheep now. May have been our last chance until I move to WY.

03-May-22
I was curious how much demand & sense of urgency there would be this year for the NR sheep draw, given the 90/10 deal approved for next year. Looking at the newly-released draw stat's, I'm kinda surprised. Mostly it was just the normal +1 point creep that happens every year. It looks like there was not really a huge amount of renewed urgency on the part of the guys holding 23-27 points. Except for one guy with 27 PP who did elect to draw out in Unit 19.

03-May-22
He should get a nice ram out of 19. Some areas had increased quotas too this year.

03-May-22
SS that is good news. That implies half the apps with over 22 points did not apply (they apply points only). That can really help. What will really affect many others guys at 23 points (today) is how many drop out next year.

03-May-22
And the other big thing is whether they re-structure the entire draw in some way for NR's. With current quotas, unless they change something, there's no more random-draw ram licenses for NR starting next year.

03-May-22
I am sure they will restructure, No doubt. I assume asap which is 5 years. Wy is a master at getting NR money and no random tags is not an option.

03-May-22
Sure hope it goes at least 5 years.

03-May-22
I believe WY regs/laws say it takes 5 years to approve something like that.

06-May-22
I drew sheep in 17 with 26 points. I was lucky the guy with 27 chose unit 19 and not unit 17. If he had, my chances would have been 33%. Three of us with 26 points put in and that put my odds at 66%. This is the 3rd bighorn tag I have drawn, 2 in Colorado and now WY and I drew a desert sheep in NV a few years ago. My wish is that you all get to hunt sheep some day.

06-May-22
This data proves my hunch that a lot of these guys who put in for points and not hunts will end up just taking these points to their graves - and not by means of odds, but by means of never applying due to several reasons: including life circumstances all the way to never really intending to put in for the hunts consciously or subconsciously.

If there was ever a time to put in for WY sheep, it was this year. If you knew the stakes (and if you had 22+ points, you had to know the stakes as you've made a huge investment to get where you are), you did what you could to make it happen (I realize there are guys out there that just couldn't, so don't bite my head off). Sure, not everyone could, due to life-circumstances. Not all, but many of the rest will still not be able to go "next year" and will continue to buy points. Likewise, the year before the "CO bump" where the up-and-comers had 2 weighted points and weren't competing yet for moose and sheep hunts, didn't see a big spike in people applying for a hunt who usually just buy a point.

Sure, there's a lot of guys that will continue to put in till they're as sure as they can be that they'll draw so that they can plan (in preference point states). But that perfect time to draw will never come for many and their wheels will fall off while they wait. And there's lots of reasons for that: family, work, being 100+ lbs overweight (one day I'll get in sheep shape), money, time off (or lack thereof), delayed retirement, retirement coming too late for personal health, wife never giving the go-ahead, hunting partner never getting on board, and I could go on.

There's also a ton of guys who either want to, or by nature of life-circumstances, can only go on one hunt per year, who don't go all-in on apps, so they put in for their hunt-of-preference, but then go with points on everything else. And/or when they get a tag, apply for points in the rest of the draws or limit the amount of apps they put in vs points because drawing too many tags is a huge problem for them.

I also believe that there's a large contingent of people who apply who just like to dream. They like the idea of going on these epic hunts, but they actually don't really like going on them nearly as much as they like dreaming about them and they'll continue to put in for points and dream, but won't actually put in for the hunt. I feel this way because I've met some of these folks. I've talked with two different guys who have 20+ points in multiple states who don't even hunt every year - at all, even in their home state. Further evidence of this is the Alaskan draw hunts (pure lottery, no points) where many of these hunts have a fraction of the tag winners hunt the tag - even tags that could be regarded as OIL tags due to how difficult it is to draw. How could 1/2 or less of the winners of a particular tag end up not hunting the tag? The only answer is that they were never going to hunt the tag in the first place, had they won.

You also have guys who can or do go on multiple hunts per year, but they also book 1 or more guided hunts per year and would have a conflict of hunting dates if they drew 1-3 tags unexpectedly.

And then you look at the situation with Bonus Points, which drives this point home even more. If you look at a state like Nevada, where you really only keep your odds from going down by getting another bonus point (very different situation compared with say, elk in CO where 20 years ago, you felt you just had to slug it out), you're never going to be guaranteed a tag, no matter how long you hold on to your points, so your chance of drawing "eventually" by putting in for just points is basically nil, even if you have 20+ points.

It's more evidence that there's a large contingent of folks out there that put in for Western bonus/preference points year after year and will die with most, if not all of them, irrespective of odds.

06-May-22
Jody, you got an awesome tag…. Good luck!

My buddy drew 12.

Good synopsis on the points issues in the western states, Ike. Sucks, but you gotta pay if you ever want to play! As a guy high in the points for most of the western states, I have to be careful not to bite off more than I can chew. It really sucks when these states change the rules after many years and it hurts chances, but gotta keep plugging along…

Luckily, sitting on two great hunts so far (elk in AZ and antelope in NM) and have the ability to dump either if I do ring the bell for sheep, goat or moose somewhere!

07-May-22
Good for you Jody!

Some good points there Iddy,

Robb

• Sitka Gear