jdbbowhunter 01-May-22
Straight Shooter 01-May-22
Kodiak 01-May-22
Oryx35 01-May-22
ohiohunter 01-May-22
ohiohunter 01-May-22
Oryx35 01-May-22
01-May-22
I was lucky enough to draw 16D first season this year. I put in with an outfitter. I have killed a couple of pretty good bulls in 36 (first season) as well as CO. I will be in good shape. I’m excited about the tag and looking for info anyone might be willing to share about the unit and or their experience in the Gila. Thank you!

01-May-22
Congrats. I’m glad to hear someone actually draws that tag.

01-May-22
Thanks! I certainly didn’t expect to draw it. I planned on hunting MT or CO this year so I swung for the fence in NM.

01-May-22
Obviously, you hit the fence!

01-May-22

01-May-22
Congrats! You put in with a Outfitter, but looking for info? I would hope your Outfitter has the info covered.

01-May-22
Yeah, I’m not looking for someone to tell me where to hunt. I’m interested to hear if anyone has hunted the unit, ideally the first archery season, if the bulls were talking, anyone had success etc.

01-May-22
Great tag, you’ll have no issues finding and hearing elk. We’ve hunted first season both times (my brother 3x). Who is the outfitter, you can PM me if you do t want it out there. Good luck.

01-May-22
Probably the best unit in the state. Weather and pressure dependent, the bulls will be vocal, especially early morning and at night. Sometimes even at noon, just never know. Hunt hard and if you don't take a bull it will be because you were being too picky.

01-May-22
Peanut butter and jealous. Good luck!

01-May-22
I hunted it many yrs ago…ran into Tom Miranda in there, great unit

01-May-22
Hunted it 21 years ago, we were into elk everyday. Passed on a smaller bull on day 2 @ 15 yards. Was a there week of 9/11. Best area i've hunted for elk, but alot can change in 21 years. Good luck!!

01-May-22
Great tag, you’ll have no issues finding and hearing elk. We’ve hunted first season both times (my brother 3x). Who is the outfitter, you can PM me if you do t want it out there. Good luck.

01-May-22
I hunted it probably 15 years ago with my brother and a friend. Saw some great bulls, alot of ATVs, many bears.

We had the most luck hunting water and wallows. We saw one bull we guesstimated at 380ish. Great unit, pretty crispy when we were there, can't remember the exact year.

01-May-22
The bull in my profile pics is one of several that we've taken out of 16D. It's a fun hunt. One bit of advice, if you get hard monsoon rain stay on the better roads or you'll sink to the axles. The whole area turns to gumbo.

01-May-22

ohiohunter's embedded Photo
ohiohunter's embedded Photo
I hunted it the past 2yrs. No doubt they are there, like anywhere the weather dictates a lot. Hopefully you have your guide until the end bc that’s when things start to pick up.

2020 temps hit 90’s which made all day hunts grueling with suppressed action, a good time to hit the shower mid day (or sit water) as I was tenting it. Water is a good sit IF IF it doesn’t rain. Typical pecking order bugling, get too close and too aggressive they push off and button lip. There were a few bulls that would play ball, but they weren’t quite rut stupid enough to barrel in blindly.

2021 big rains few wks before season, vegetation was wild and the elk dispersed from water holes. They barely started hitting some holes later in the hunt. Again typical early season bugling.

All the elk taken I seen were from water or still hunting- right place right time. Depending on where you’re taken, it can be a rough hunt.

01-May-22
If you tag out with time to kill pick up a bear tag, lots of bear sightings.

01-May-22
Definitely lots of bears, but you have to purchase the tag 48 hours before you can use it. If you think you might want to add a bear I would recommend buying the tag ahead of time.

• Sitka Gear