Bearman 05-May-22
Bearman 05-May-22
midwest 05-May-22
dg72a 06-May-22
Bou'bound 06-May-22
DanaC 06-May-22
Shiras42 06-May-22
01-May-22
At? Adams,rothhar,keller,idol, ect. Grew up reading their stuff. Any of these legends still alive and hunting?

01-May-22
Chuck is still going strong. Just killed a new world record Sitka last year, and a couple more good Sitka, couple of antelope, a bull elk, and a mule deer I think…

Roger Rothhar passed away a year or two ago.

Not sure about Miles Keller or Dick Idol.

01-May-22
No one cares about the true greats anymore. They don’t wear flat brims and post on the gram!

01-May-22
Myles sort of went underground after his unfortunate fatal vehicle accident. Hopefullyvhe is doing well. He is one of the greatest whitetail bowhunters ever. As far as I know, Dick is still going strong with his furniture-sculpture-art business in Montana. Probably still killing big deer too, but none of these guys are into the YouTube/gram "influencer" game. They were THE influencers and got free stuff long before flat brims and man-buns were invented.

01-May-22
Not following the Keller statement? I've met both the wensels. Took in a movie and super with them. Super guys with a sense of humor but totally not arrogant . Any other 80'90's writers we considered "big names" still around n hunting? I do know Dwight s died. Sure liked his stories. Larry Jones, any inside on him? Jordan,blanton,bushman. Ect. Just trying to remember the ones that helped me "light the fire" I lost track of the heyday of those fellas years ago.

01-May-22
Bearman…..Myles Keller struck and killed a young boy while he was driving impaired, back in 2016 or 17.

02-May-22
Before widespread hunting shows and social media, writing was the key. Many good writers and great bowhunters just don't have the right personality to be as popular in how content is delivered today.

I have a buddy who became a popular personality. One year, while working the ATA show, a large line was forming down one of the aisles on my way to meeting. This usually meant a big product reveal or a big personalty doing an autograph session. As I passed by the line and got near the front, the line was for my buddy signing autographs at a sponsors booth. At a table a few feet away, also doing autographs, was a guy who was at the top of the bowhunting world when we were growing up. There was only a handful of folks getting a poster signed by him. When my buddy and I talked later we both had the same bitter/sweet take on the scene.

02-May-22
Larry D. Jones is still going strong. He just wrote an article on elk hunting in the Pope and Young, Velvet II record book that was released this past summer.

02-May-22

Zbone's Link
Mr. Rothhaar passed a few years ago, but the Wensels post here occasionally, Barry starting a thread a few weeks ago which Gene posted along with Ryan Rothhaar, Roger's son:

forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=496227&messages=51&forum=4

Gene is also contributing to a GREAT thread about the "Savage Deathmaster" recurve over on the LeatherWall right now with pix of iconic bowhunters and bowmakers from back the day:

leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/lw/thread2.cfm?forum=23&threadid=332635&messages=205&CATEGORY=3#5112119

Gene coined the bow's Deathmaster name...

02-May-22
Roger Rothhaar's son Ryan is a bowhunter and a friend of mine. He comes to AK periodically to hunt... That torch has been passed appropriately.

Pete

02-May-22
They are all great, and I was able to meet rothar, and adams, and keller, and like others listened to the wenzels..... all class acts. I watched a Dwight Schuh and Larry Jones video, VHS, and took off mule deer hunting after that,,,, ha ha.. OTC Nevada, never saw another hunter......................

But for hunting the deer, hands down, on any land public or private, was Bob Fratzke and his group.

Still have all of their books, and still have a Fratzke Winona Wool hunting vest.......

02-May-22
It's been many years but I recall meeting Mike Lapinski, Larry Jones and Dwight Schuh a few times. They were very genuine, humble and the most influential to me.

I met Chuck Adams too and somewhere in my stash I have a signed photo of him with a large grizzly.

All these guys and others mentioned above were the real deal and in it for the right reasons. I would love an opportunity to sit down with them for a few hours and just chat about some of their past hunts and experiences making a living. Great thread!

Edit - I learned how and when to be aggressive calling elk from talking to Mike Lapinski and killed elk because of his advice. It'd be nice to shake his hand one more time and say thanks.

02-May-22
I'm glad I grew up in the Era of reading stuff instead of just watching it play out on t.v. Good stuff guys.

02-May-22
When the P&Y Convention came to Lancaster PA, I had the great honor of taking a UBP T-Shirt around and having all the legendary archers there sign it. I believe I had 25-27 signatures. Every one of them was humble and appreciated the opportunity to sign the shirt. I then had the shirt framed and it was auctioned off at our next UBP Rendevous. I'm sorry I didn't buy it but I did get to meet, talk to, and shake hands with every one of them. There were no "flat brimmed" signatures.....trust me!!!

02-May-22
Ah. I long for the days where legends did not have theme songs

02-May-22
I went to a lot of deer shows, etc. But one day the PBS group, was in Madison Wis, so I drove down to that. WOW, that was one of the coolest things I did. Lots of nice stuff for sale, and seminars..... Anyways, I also would like to mention Mike Mitten, I hope I spelled his name right....... That guy talked to me like I was his best friend......

Bought his book, One with the Wilderness, I read it every fall, at my UP cabin........

And another guy, I met only once, but he is a legend, is Ron LaClair, out of MI,,,,,, his life is nothing but an adventure..... Those guys would go up in N Mn, and canoe for miles deep in, to hunt big deer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

02-May-22
Ron LaClair has always been a great ambassador for bow and arrow hunting.

02-May-22
Ron LaClair is truly inspiring. Still getting after it at 86(?) years old. Keeps on trucking.

02-May-22
Chuck is still going strong and writing for many different publications. He is still a hunting machine and kills plenty of animals each year. His wife even convinced him to have a social media presence so if anyone is interested, you can find him there.

02-May-22
Dwight Shuh has been replaced by Eva Shockey.

We are doomed.

02-May-22
whatthefoc...If that's the case, you're correct.

02-May-22
I met Roger Rothhaar in West Bend WI. back in the 80's. Bought a signed copy of his book "In pursuit of trophy whitetails" He would make fun of his weight, kind of short and chunky. I stuck a few deer with the Rothhaar snuffer!!

03-May-22
Get on IG and follow Chuck. He post lots of interesting stuff as well as past and present hunting adventures.

Join P&Y and you can probably meet Larry D, MR James, and many other well known and not well known dedicated bowhunting killers at the convention in Reno next spring.

03-May-22
Author and a true ambassador of bowhunting and bowyery was Jay Massey... If you get a chance to read any of his 4 books or magazine articles from the likes of Bowhunter or Traditional Bowhunter, etc., you will not be disappointed... Great inspirations by a great man...

03-May-22
All the old guards were influencers in their time, it was just different. This thread just sounds like a bunch of old guys complaining about the new generation. I grew up reading Dwight Schuh, Larry D. Jones, Chuck Adams, MR. James, etc. I thank those gentleman for forming my passion for bowhunting. As great as they are I don't think they'd look all that much different if they came on the scene right now. People are generally the product of their time.

03-May-22
Bow and arrow hunting is rapidly declining in this country, there are fewer " big names" if you want to use that terminology. In most states, there are more scoped crossbow users than bow and arrow hunters these days. Expect the bow and arrow hunter numbers and the associated culture to continue the decline.

03-May-22
I would add E. Donnell Thomas to this discussion. I would not think he is too young to qualify.

03-May-22
Yes! E. Donald Thomas, also MR James, G Fred Asbell-

03-May-22
Yes! E. Donald Thomas, also MR James, G Fred Asbell-

03-May-22
Of all of the older writers I'd say I like Asbell the most. It's got a very relaxing quality to it and is very unpretentious.

03-May-22
I do think there’s a little bit of old man syndrome here but I truly don’t consider the top Instagram and Facebook guys in the same league. Social media algorithms do not lend itself to sharing long form, substantive content. It’s all short, attention grabbing visuals. That’s why there’s so many hotshots and the big name bowhunters with channels are non existent.

Put me in the old man camp. I read every Wensel book, Rothaar, Schuh, MR, Massey, E.D Thomas etc. I’ve not seen any social media hero that comes close to the lifelong passion and learnings these guys passed on. All I see is nonstop turkey decapitation videos and kill shots.

If you are interested in entertainment then those platforms are great. If you are interested in learning from guys with earned credentials social media is not the platform for that.

There is no doubt the younger generation is being influenced by these hotshots and that’s why the sponsors flock to social media. I don’t know what that means for the future of bowhunting but my gut tells me that I’m probably not gonna like it.

My 2c

03-May-22
I agree Pat. Good thoughts.

03-May-22
Totally agree.

03-May-22
Yup.

03-May-22
I agree with, Pat

. Maybe the you tubers and grammers stay away, figuring Bowsite has it own brand of know-it-alls. If’n you get my drift.

03-May-22
Well said Pat. Unfortunately I fear you are correct where this all ends up.

03-May-22
There are some young(er) youtubers out there putting out some great content. Hardcore, DIY, public land guys like Dan Staton of Elkshape and The Hunting Public. A lot you can learn from these guys for free. Aron Snyder of Kifaru puts out some good stuff as well. I'm sure there are others.

03-May-22
Midwest you make a great point...... Younger guy, who tracks deer in N Mn and N Wis, and the UP,,,,, check out A Foot Print in the Snow, Todd Havel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

03-May-22
I just saw David Blanton on Red Arrow last night... cmon man!

03-May-22
Him and that host were hilarious hunting trophy doe and all they saw were bucks... I've always enjoyed Blanton and his humor!

03-May-22
The Hunting Public? LMFAO.... The same crew that partnered with TFG (for $10K) to increase non-resident turkey hunting in Tennessee AFTER resident turkey hunters asked for a decrease (decline in turkey population) the bag season limit from 4 gobblers to 2. TFG reduced it to 3 gobblers. Then turned around partnered with THP to increase non-res participation and actually increased the overall gobbler harvest over previous years. THP doesn't give a sh!t about Tennessee residents. Or residents in other states. Their only concern is Likes, Shares, "and click on the notification bell".

No thank you. MR James, Dwight Schuh, Jim Dougherty, Larry Jones, and the rest are nothing like todays social media's hunters and huntresses.

03-May-22
So a group of rednecks from Iowa were able to change Tennessee turkey hunting regulations? Amazing! Got a link?

I do know they donate a lot of money to various state's turkey research projects.

"MR James, Dwight Schuh, Jim Dougherty, Larry Jones, and the rest are nothing like todays social media's hunters and huntresses."

Those guys sold books, videos, and magazine articles. What's the difference?

03-May-22
"So a group of rednecks from Iowa were able to change Tennessee turkey hunting regulations? Amazing! Got a link?"

Pretty sure that's NOT what I said. Resident turkey hunters asked the TFG to reduce the number of birds allowed to be harvested, from 4 to 2. TFG reduced it to 3. TFG partenered with THP to increase non resident turkey hunting participation by pushing it as a destination for the turkey hunt of a lifetime. Result. Harvest increased over previous years, despite a declining population, due to the influx of non -res.

"Those guys sold books, videos, and magazine articles. What's the difference?"

Andf the horse stands midstream, looking at the water. Tell me if the BRO crowd has had a postive impact on hunting (and fishing) in the west.

03-May-22
What defines a big name?

03-May-22
I kind of laugh at all this anti you-tube, facebook stuff. The big names from long ago were providing content just like the guys on youtube, facebook and instagram are doing now. If those guys were born in this era they would be using the same platforms as the BRO crowd. By the way, plenty of good information and good people on the new platforms. When are you guys going to realize bowsite is social media? It is very comparable to a private facebook group. Trolling and all included.

03-May-22
I remember when the older bowhunters hated Chuck Adams.

03-May-22
Big Eight,,,, I agree with your posts in many ways. I guess the difference I see today, is its fun to watch You Tube, I love it,,,, but you learn very little. The other hunters mentioned here, gave alot of seminars, and wrote alot, not about what they shot, but how they shot it, and how they hunt, and tips a new hunter could use........................

Not much on Outdoor Channel, however entertaining, that a young hunter is going to learn much from, except alot of poor penetration at times ha ha

Today its about selling stuff,,,, and nothing wrong with that at all, people got to make a living, etc, where as in the later, it was about teaching tactics..................

Its all good in the end........... One of the benefit of the younger hunters, is there quest to stay in shape, and that has made alot of us older hunters, to do the same, and inspired alot of hunters,

03-May-22
"Give me a second" all out of breath. No one has mentioned Stan Potts and I don't mean the present incarnation of him. I am talking way before anyone knew he was!! He was a phenominal whitetail hunter. Killed 3 200" deer before anyone knew his name. Noel Feather was a great hunter as well, just did a few stupid things. Today there are a few great young guys!! The hunting Public guys all are good hunters and do try and teach folks a thing or two. I am in that older bunch but those THP guys have motivated me to hunt public land and try different things. The problem is the old way was the written way and today it is a visual telling of the stories. I myself miss the written way, its a lost art to write a story down and tell it on paper!! Shawn

03-May-22
Yep, The Hunting Public is top notch stuff. Highly recommend it.

03-May-22
Fred Eichler is the real thing and doesn't give a crap about "score".

03-May-22
I very seldom, and haven't for 15 years watched "hunting shows" but I really like the THP guys. Full of energy,aint afraid to try outside the box things to get it done. (The vast majority of bowhunters should "heed that'"! They just seem to hunt well together and I've never seen an "ego issue". Lots of names mentioned here I forgot about. Thanks. Brings back memories from when I was a young punk trying to kill stuff.

03-May-22
If anyone in northeast got into Turkey hunting it was probably with the help of Dick Kirby Quaker Boy Turkey calls... the local old timers tell me before he got into Turkey hunting he was a top notch Whitetail Archer with long and recurve bow... not a really big name but he may have introduced Turkey hunting to hundreds of thousands to the sport.

03-May-22
Quote: “Fred Eichler is the real thing and doesn't give a crap about "score".

Fred is a great ambassador to Bowhunting and a strong supporter of the Pope and Young Club. While he has never really pursued trophy animals only (which is pretty awesome) he has been fortunate to arrow many of them……..he’s entered 35 animals into the P&Y records program.

03-May-22
I like Fred. Seems to always have FUN.

03-May-22
I never seen Monty Browning mentioned above- he is a great modern day bowhunter.

03-May-22
how about the guy who got the grand slam of sheep with a bow in less than a year. Our own Medicineman................... who the heck kills four sheep with a bow in less than 7 months and three of them in 6 weeks.

03-May-22
So many names mentioned & so many I have met. I've even shared a campfire with a few & a hunt or two. Nope, not a big name here, just a bowhunter since 1956 (when I bought my 1st real bow & joined organized archery). Todays archer/bowhunter is not to different, they just have different ways of conveying their adventures & how they do it.. Oh, sometimes they get carried away due to "I am guessing" "Sponsor requests". Sadly, age takes it's toll on us physically & have to make way for that "new blood new ways".. I just feel blessed to have experienced many adventures in my long journey Bowhunting. I'm still in the game competing & bowhunting (thankfully) & know & met many a "Name" over the years. Enjoy it fellas, time is a thief.

03-May-22
There are good hunters with good info on YouTube like hal blood and Rodney elmer

03-May-22
Bou bound. Someone with way too much $..Lol. Really congrats to him. That's one hell of an accomplishment! Nice / refreshing post hunter 76.

03-May-22
Shared a camp with Jake Gentlemen in spades. Another one Ben Lee enough said.

04-May-22
Pat, I totally agree. But as stated above I'd those same guys were in the game today they'd be doing the same thing. I appreciated the older style more, they really shared the adventure side of the hunt; that's what got me hooked.

04-May-22
In the past hunting and marketing was more about adventure, today it is mostly the graphics of thrill killing to sell sponsored gadgets. I can see (and have experienced) the difference.

04-May-22
Can't leave out Randy Newberg for one of the best adventure youtubers.

04-May-22
If ya wanta go way back, I was born in 1959 and as a kid I grew up reading Jack O'Conner and Elmer Keith and watching Fred Bear Adventures on Saturday mornings... Now those guys were true icons...

04-May-22
+1 on Freddie Eichler. I've known him and shot with him since he was a teenager. Friends with both he and Michele for decades. He (they) are the real deal. What he portrays in media is who he is in real life - no fake YouTube persona.

04-May-22
Indeed zbone! As I get older, I want to see someone share the whole experience, not just the kill shot. May ruffle some feathers here but, the abundance of show now are over a foodplot shooting out of an enclosed blind. (Nothing wrong with that), It just turns me off. I'd welcome again seeing someone sitting in snow/rain and being in a treestand. Small rant over.

05-May-22
Some time, long ago, somebody probably made a video showing long, boring, tedious hours sitting in a stand with nothing much happening. "Ooh, noise! Damn, squirrel." "Hey look, a chickadee!"

Sold four copies, sponsor dropped him. Today he works at the car wash. Best carpet vacuumer they ever had.

05-May-22
In the last 5 days, I've had two bowhunter/hunter extremes that many of you speak of here.

I'm sure many of you might know Eddie Claypool from Oklahoma. A great guy, a great bowhunter and as he says... "I'm just a redneck bowhunter". A DAMN good one too. We were fortunate to get to hang out with Eddie this past weekend at his place in Kansas. We actually live about 45 minutes away from one another here in Oklahoma. We had a great time "chewing the fat" and just hanging out and talking bowhunting and life. My wife and his wife became fast friends too. Just really good folks. Eddie doesn't do much social media, except for FB, very lightly at that. I believe Eddie is 63 now and still piling up animals.

On the other extreme... I had a regional sales rep (who is in his early 30's) that works for the company I work for, in the office yesterday. I had been told he was a "pretty big hunter" and all. We sat down in my office and started discussing hunting. I let him take the lead and it went like this... I have these sponsors, we have this youtube channel, we are on such and such channel, on such and such network, and we are close to getting on the pursuit channel. It was almost nauseating. Not my cup of tea. BUT, if he's doing it legally, why should I bitch. I did ask him if he knew Eddie. He squinted his eyes and gave that question mark look, and said "No, I don't think I do". :)

I guess I'm in the old guy lane as well.

05-May-22
I had the experience of sharing a hunting camp with Tink Nathan many years ago. Interesting fellow, to say the least.

05-May-22
Ole Tink used to post here years ago,,, " Interesting fellow, to say the least", yeah, too say the least...8^)

05-May-22
I know that we are all getting old. But, I do believe we are forgetting one person. An many of us do look up to him and respect him. PAUL@THEFORT...

05-May-22
A few of the current crop TEACH us and show us the physical, mental, moral pleasures of the outdoors and hunting by attitude and example. The rest just show us how to manipulate nature ( food plots and game cameras), incesssantly try to sell us gadgetry to make it "eaiser", and take us along so that we can " enjoy the experience" without risk, strain, or sweat: Virtual reality at its finest. Few are leaders, which we so dearly need.

05-May-22
And Boris with the mic drop.... well said.

05-May-22
Anyone try "Rub Line Slime"? Lol.

05-May-22
Roger Raglin, still around d? Always enjoyed his attitude.

05-May-22
Roger is still around. Jiminy Christmas, he lost 80 lbs.!

06-May-22
What? No Mitch Rompola??? I want Mitch back, and bring that world record with you.

06-May-22
But you have to admit today celebrities do have catchy tunes to accompany their hunts

Welcome to the drop zone, got you in the crosshairs Once I pull this trigger, they're gonna haul you outta here Hunting is a lifestyle, survival of the fittest We on a hunt, what you want, come on Now you in the drop zone Drop down, exhale, one shot, one kill We do it like this all day, drop zone y'all we don't play We chase them big old hogs, big trucks with old bird dogs It's all American to hunt and tote a gun Climb up in that tree stand, got a muzzle loader in my hand Big buck walkin' into sight, game over drop zone good night We hunt them grizzly bears, kodiaks blacks and brown Wanna see where the drop zone is, follow them tracks to the edge of town That's where you'll find me, all my folks behind me We do it like every day, God bless the USA No way we'll ever stop, we make that big game drop Outdoors is where we roll, now welcome to the drop zone Welcome to the drop zone, got you in the crosshairs Once I pull this trigger, they're gonna haul you outta here Hunting is a lifestyle, survival of the fittest We on a hunt, what you want, come on Now you in the drop zone Now if it flies it dies, that's geese ducks and dove Pheasants and quail yeah, huntin' is what we love We chase them thunder chickens, we make 'em strut and spit When they enter that drop zone baby, game over that's it Big bass, big bucks, big guns, get some This is America and we don't ever run Been known to tree a coon or maybe grab a gator Support the NRA, what more do I need to say One shot, one kill, drop zone it's real Outdoors is where we roll, now welcome to the drop zone Welcome to the drop zone, got you in the crosshairs Once I pull this trigger, they're gonna haul you outta here Hunting is a lifestyle, survival of the fittest We on a hunt, what you want, come on Now you in the drop zone

06-May-22
"What? No Mitch Rompola??? I want Mitch back, and bring that world record with you. "

There's a guy who quickly discovered the dark side of celebrity. Sad.

06-May-22
Someone mentioned Monty Browning earlier. What a story teller! I could listen to the same story 10x from him and not get tired of it. :)

Some really good people mentioned in here.

• Sitka Gear