Starfire 05-May-22
wyobullshooter 05-May-22
Missouribreaks 05-May-22
Missouribreaks 05-May-22
Kurt 06-May-22
Ursman 07-May-22
Jasper 11-May-22
02-May-22
I’m trying to work myself through target panic issues (technically buck fever as I shoot fine at targets). This malady surfaced out of the blue after 45 years of bow hunting. Anyway, I have gone through Joel Turner’s Shot IQ program several times and read his book as well. I’m in the market for a new, better quality release I can shoot with back tension. For those who shoot this way what releases do you like and why? Thanks!

02-May-22
TP is definitely an awful affliction. I struggled with it for a long time and still do get a flinch from time to time. I found the Carter evolution and the silverback to be extremely helpful. They help teach you good form, how to pull through the shot, and a true surprise release. John Dudley’s educational videos are also excellent! Good luck with it!

02-May-22
I have used Scott and Truball BT releases. About any BT release will help, find one that fits you. I am partial to my Truball because it is very similar to my regular hunting release. TP can be controlled but it raises it’s ugly head from time to time.

02-May-22
When you say "back tension release", are you referring to a resistance style or a hinge?

02-May-22
I love my Silverback, dedicate yourself to only shooting it for a few months and it sure helps. But as Joel Turner recommends also go back and shoot at least a thumb button or even an index finger release. Don’t stay purely on an tension release for the long term. Good luck!

02-May-22
Went from a Scott Mongoose to a Carter Wise Choice this spring. We’re getting along well enough that I bought a backup.

02-May-22

02-May-22
Midwest, I am open to trying any kind of release in order to work through this. What I’m dealing with has rocked my world in respect to hunting. My confidence is gone….never thought I’d say that as I’ve been shooting a bow for over 50 years. I believe in Joel’s program, just need a release I can build confidence with. I have no consistency with the couple I have. Thanks!

02-May-22

02-May-22
Jasper, I feel your pain. I suffered with a world-class case of TP for over 20 years. The release I used to learn to shoot under control, in conjunction with following Bernie Pellerite's program outlined in his book "Idiot-Proof Archery", was the Carter Backstrap. Although that release has long been discontinued, John Dudley has collaborated with Carter on his Nock 2 It Backstrap release. It's quite a bit different than the original Backstrap, but it's certainly an option to consider.

Keep in mind that any style release can be fired using back tension for a surprise release, just like any style release can be made to fire on command, resulting in anything but a surprise release. You're certainly on the right track utilizing Joel Turner's Shot IQ. The key is to develop a correct shot process regardless of what release you decide on. FWIW, I use a Carter Quickie index finger release and I never squeeze the trigger with my finger. Once positioned on the trigger, I simply concentrate on expanding my chest until my release fires. I firmly believe if I can learn to shoot under control, anyone can. You didn't develop TP overnight and you certainly won't overcome it overnight. Be persistent and concentrate on shooting every shot under control. Best of Luck!

02-May-22

Whatthefoc's embedded Photo
Whatthefoc's embedded Photo
Hi John , I am in the same boat … tp after 30 years of archery. Couldn’t even hold the pin on the target - stuck low.

We should make a distinction here on the term ‘back-tension. Back-tension is a term meant to describe a method of archery release. Index trigger, Thumb button, Hinge and Resistance are all styles of release aids - and there are ways to shoot all of them via backtension

A year ago I bought two STAN releases. The Perfex Resistance which is a pure resistance release. I Also bought the Perfex Thumb button. The two releases are the exact same size and shape. The plan is Resistance for training, Thumb for hunting

I shot the Resistance release all winter, and while I am far from having kicked my TP, I am shooting better now than I have in years. Sort of like a recovering alcoholic, I’m ok today, but my demons are ready to pounce at any time. With the Stans I can switch back and forth with ZERO effect on my anchor point. Another advantage of the Stan is the trainer lock - by inserting a pin, I can make my release so that it will not release the arrow. I aim and pull until I hear a click - kinda like a dry-fire drill with a rifle. There’s no hiding the flinch when there is no shot.

I have read good things about the Truball GOAT. It can be converted to act as a thumb button or a hinge. If you are going to buy one release, I’d say get the GOAT. That said, I prefer the pure resistance release over the hinge for training. You can ‘cheat’ a hinge, and I would find myself doing exactly that with mine. The resistance release forces you to pull thru the shot. Short of a seizure-like full body convulsion, there is no way to punch the resistance release.

Although it was pricey at the time - I have no regrets over buying the Stans.

Good luck.

02-May-22
I have a Silverback which is a resistance style and I also had Dudley's 2 Smooth hinge which I traded on AT. I'm currently shooting a Truball HT hinge and started using it for hunting last year.

Both style releases are great for getting over TP but it takes a commitment as noted above. When you use either style for hunting, it will FORCE you to stay present in your shot process.

One thing I would note that I never hear mentioned is don't worry about accuracy at first because it will likely suffer. Just concentrate on good form and a repeatable shot process. Accuracy will come later.

Headed to one of Joel's clinics with another Bowsiter the end of this month!

02-May-22
Here's a really good video I saw recently that should be helpful to anyone suffering with TP.

02-May-22
Good point from the Midwest

Trust the float. A real epiphany for me was the point where I realized that my arrow groups are about half the size of my perceived pin float.

Another thing I learned this winter- while doing aiming drills (no shot), is how steady I’m capable of holding the bow when there is no shot about to happen. In the end, I think this is the goal - minimize the float to the best of my ability, then trust whatever float remains.

02-May-22
“Another thing I learned this winter- while doing aiming drills (no shot), is how steady I’m capable of holding the bow when there is no shot about to happen”

So true. Even in the midst of my TP hell I never understood why I could hold rock steady when I knew I wasn’t going to shoot. Same thing with blank bale shooting. Joel does a terrific job of explaining the “why” of this head scratcher.

Nick, I am SO jealous! If he ever comes to Cheyenne, I’ll be the first in line. I’m not holding my breath. Ha!

02-May-22
Rob, He's doing them all over the states now that he's retired from LE. I'm sure he'll be in the Denver area sometime. Easy drive for you.

02-May-22
I’ve shot a resistance release since HHA made the first one. I now shoot a Stan Element tension and also a hinge. I actually teach a some kids with a tension only now.

02-May-22
I really like the new Backstrap release. Since it has a wrist strap, it feels very familiar to what I've been shooting for many many years. I've struggled with TP for over 35 years. Tried everything mentioned.....but just always struggled with it. Once I got used to the Backstrap (it takes a while), then it literally put the fun back in archery. I'd been very successful hunting because I'd gotten really good at "drive by shootings." But targets were a different matter. Now, I'm holding on targets and love going out to shoot the range again. And hunting with it as well, with very good success. Everyone needs to find what works for them..... This has just been my experience.

02-May-22
Here's another vote for the Nockon Backstrap release. I bought one this past winter due to my TP with shooting targets. It took a bit to get comfortable but once I got it figured out, my shooting has greatly improved. So much sothat I used it during our informal weekly club shoots. They score x's as an 11 for a possible score of 330. My 1st shoot I shot a 249. My last score was 311 if I recall.

02-May-22
If you are a wrist strap guy I also recommend the Carter Backstrap. That & lots of blind bale shooting helps when mine flares up. The backstrap is very similar to the Carter Like Mike I hunt with.

03-May-22
I have been shooting the Silverback EXCLUSIVELY for 4 years. Notice I said EXCLUSIVELY as I had a horrible case of the TP's for many many years to the point I dang near sold all of my archery stuff. It was terrible and I feel for anyone that is going through it. Recently I picked up a Carter Wise Choice and with some determination and work am now shooting it with back tension, thanks to the Silverback retraining my brain. When you get a back tension release, give all of your releases to a friend temporarily and shoot nothing BUT that release and let it run its course. Too often I have seen people get one and expect instant results, it don't work that way (didn't for me anyway). Patience and persistence is key. Good luck!

03-May-22
Use the Silverback for most target shooting then switch to the Nock 2 it with a thumb button for hunting. Highly recommend John Dudley's videos.

03-May-22
I had target panic for decades while serving in the Army and addressed it after retiring. I read up on all the various releases and found that all could be "commanded" to fire in one manner or another. I bought a SCAT release - a hydraulic release that fires after a period of time set by the shooter. I shot it exclusively for a month and can use any release now. Today, I can place my pin exactly on target and pull through the shot much like I did with the SCAT. I shoot it first when I pick the bow back up in the spring, just to reinforce good form and habits - good luck

03-May-22
I use a Silverback for some of my practice. Once you figure out how to shoot one, it can really take your shooting to the next step. I don’t think I would ever hunt with it though. I prefer a thumb button; I shoot a Nock2It.

03-May-22
TP also almost did my hunting/archery love in as well. Every season I would start winding up with my same practice routines with the same results…drive by punching or freezing below the target or flinching to high heaven. I realized much too late the mistakes I was making…I had to start all over I can’t speak highly enough about the help of a resistance release and the education of Dudley! I always have my Silverback with me for training and reinforcing good shooting habits and process!

03-May-22
I'm 46 years old, I got my first compound bow when I was 5 year old. Archery was my first love!! I feel like I shot VERY well all of my adult life hunting and 3D shooting, TP hit me this winter (Jan 2022), I really thought I was done with Archery and wanted to quit. But, I ordered a Silverback and a Nock 2 It, and I watched all the John Dudley coaching videos, and Joel Turners stuff, and finally I am back to shooting probably as good as ever. It takes 2-3 months of dedication to get over it but it is something you can get past, don't give up, you can do it!

03-May-22
All great information! Target Panic sucks period, the end. Finding the correct tools to help is key, the HARD thing is sticking with it long enough to retrain your brain that surprise release is Ok.

04-May-22
I've used resistance activated and hinge back tension releases, didn't really help, also tried a few different resistance activated wrist releases, didn't work. I finally committed to shooting my regular wrist release with back tension, it took some time, started with no sight and close, at first I would get maybe 10% of the shots off proper but steadily got better, now 100% of my shots are activated by back tension. The best release I have used is the Stan xtinction2, very crisp, no travel so no anticipation

04-May-22
It's not if... it's when will it get you!

04-May-22
Really?

04-May-22
"It's not if... it's when will it get you!" Sadly this is true.

04-May-22
I have a Stan Perfex Resistance release I use to train myself to use back tension. Thumb releases you can still "punch". Resistance releases you have to pull through to get the tension to set them off. After using this release to train my brain I can use my Fletcher trigger release with no problem.

04-May-22
I am in my 60th year of shooting stickbows instinctive, it better hurry if it is going to get me.

04-May-22
^^^^Good for you. And your point is?

05-May-22
Anyone ever try the SCAT release?

05-May-22

Whatthefoc's Link
Check this one out.

Anyone here try one (since this old thread)?

I like the concept, but not impressed with the geometry. You must lose over an inch of drawlength with this scat release.

05-May-22
The point is..those who said everyone gets target panic sooner or later, are just plain wrong. You should read the thread before jerking around.

05-May-22
Yes Missouri you were clear.

I wonder if the reason you never got tp is because you shoot instinctive - no visual of a pin floating around.

05-May-22
I have heard of a few traditional archers get the dreaded TP but for the most part it is a disease that mostly compound archers contract.

05-May-22
I bought a used Scott Back spin and I really like it. I have tried a few other hinge releases before and this one gives me the comfort and control I need. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore.

05-May-22
"You should read the thread before jerking around."

MB, perhaps you should follow your own advice. The OP stated he is suffering with TP and wants to shoot a quality release using back tension. He specifically asked for advice/suggestions from those that shoot that way, so the fact you shoot stickbows instinctively is of little to no relevance to this particular topic, which is why I asked what your point was. You should definitely be thankful, since you say you've never experienced TP, but the majority of those that shoot with pins do, at some point, develop TP to one degree or another.

05-May-22
Thanks wyo.

05-May-22
What is interesting is target panic is not uncommon with stickbows and instinctive shooters. There are various ways they try and solve it, including adding a pin sight, clicker, etc. You can find many discussions about the topic, some right here on the leatherwall.

06-May-22
When I shot fingers with a compound and pins, a clicker fixed my target panic issues. Used one on a recurve when I hunted with it for a year.

I’ve used an index finger release shot with back tension for the past 19 years. I really learned to shoot back tension with the original Carter Evolution. Great training aid and put target panic in the past for me. Been a whole lot more fun since!! And I typically limit my practice to a few well shot arrows a few times per week.

All that said, I am one of the few that has more trouble with a thumb release causing target panic than the index finger. I do hook deep on the index finger and like the B3 Hawk release with the head connected by webbing to wrist strap.

Good luck working through it!

07-May-22
Hypnosis anyone?

11-May-22
Ursman, Yes I tried hypnosis. I’ll try any thing at this point. I just haven’t had the chance to test the results on an animal yet as that’s the the only time I’m affected by it. We’ll see.

• Sitka Gear