JRABQ 05-May-22
Paul@thefort 05-May-22
Buffalo1 05-May-22
drycreek 05-May-22
LKH 05-May-22
SB 05-May-22
05-May-22

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
$5500. worth it? 1993 PolarCraft,Bass, welded alum, 50 Mariner 2 stroke. elect tilt, two fish finders, 30# elect motor, trailer, two batteries, Used in fresh water.
$5500. worth it? 1993 PolarCraft,Bass, welded alum, 50 Mariner 2 stroke. elect tilt, two fish finders, 30# elect motor, trailer, two batteries, Used in fresh water.

05-May-22
Only if you take me fishing with ya! Just think of the women in bikini’s you and I would attract in that thing.

05-May-22
Don't have a clue, so I'm no help. Best of luck to you!

05-May-22
That boat ain’t that big. Beside the CO gals just don’t get to the size of Massachusetts ones. That were the ‘mass’ in Massachusetts comes from.

05-May-22
In all seriousness that sounds like a lot for semi-small 30 year old boat. Offer him $4500 since you are always out another $1000 when you buy a boat that was without inflation. I’ve owned a couple and there is always something to fix on them. I would not buy it without take it out on a lake making sure everything is as advertised.

05-May-22
I wouldn't pay over $4000.

05-May-22
I’d probably pass, and find one from a friend you can trust. At that age unless they were properly stored and taken care of it could be a project. Looks like the skag on the motor is sheared off. I’ve replaced floors and transoms and rebuilt lower units it’s not fun if your expecting to just head out and use it right away. Are you looking for a small lake or river boat? That flat bottom would be a battle on a windy day, big lake.

05-May-22
Also the corrosion on the rear ladder tells me it was stored in the water at one time...tied up to a dock probably with a canopy. Don’t want to be a Debbie downer but I’ve had my share of buyers remorse. I’m sure a fellow bowsiter could find a deal on a good rig that’s been well taken care of ;)

05-May-22
Im with with Beav not over 4000

05-May-22
BOAT---bust out another thousand.

05-May-22
The boat and trailer appears to be in great shape for its age. The Mariner outboard warrants and automatic $1,000 deduction in the asking price. Mariners are notorious for breaking down and needing trips to the mechanic shop. Mariner engines are no longer manufactured and sold in the US and parts can be a challenge. Some Mercury parts can be used on Mariners though. If I were looking to buy a boat, I’d pass on this one due to the engine. Just my opinion.

05-May-22

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
For bowfishing? Not a chance. I wouldn’t pay 3500.

05-May-22
FFF

If it float, flies or fornicates, rent it! Is cheaper in the long run. ??

05-May-22
You are buying the motor. Anybody can fix a boat but if the motor goes down the boat ain't worth nuttin. Break Out Another Thousand!!!

05-May-22
Half the price of a boat is the motor. What's the motor worth and let that be your guide to decide if it's worth it. The extras don't mean anything.

This is not a big lake that can have rough water type of a boat...

05-May-22
I've bought a few used boats in the last few years. My brother even more. We both watch the ads regularly. My opinion is that is not a value buy. There isn't one thing about it that stands out as being good. Engine is old 2 stroke, electric up front is old and worthless, electronics are old and worthless, and the boat itself is a flat bottomed fibreglass boat without a great layout. It is also small to boot. Nothing at all going for it in terms of resale. Seats are old and torn, leaves/pine needles in it indicate it is not covered therefore you can assume stored outside which leads to reduced floor and carpet life. Old aluminum hulls can be in great shape, old fibreglass rarely is. In this case it's obviously hit some stuff in the front. Skeg is sheared off. I would be partial to a riveted hull like a Lund or Alumacraft if looking aluminum especially as a boat ages. You can do much better for the money IMO. I am also not scared to drive to pick up a boat. I have owned flat bottom boats and if you get into wind you (and the boat) take a pounding. Cast a wider net than your immediate area.

Paul my first question would be what are you after? length of boat? Aluminum vs fibreglass, hull style, tiller? single console? Double bubble? Full windshield? 4 stroke, 2 stroke or performance 2 stroke? Then budget? What features are important to you? Livewells and locations? Rod locker? Other electronics in the package?

After having repaired leaky rivets in an aluminum boat that would not scare me to do in the slightest. Engines however do scare me. That is my personal thing. I want to make sure I've got a reliable engine. Seems like 4 strokes in the 15-20 year old and newer category for the most part are very very reliable engines. I can't get away from the old carb'd 2 strokes fast enough. Oil mess etc. No thanks. Even if I had the capability to work on engines when you have a problem it costs you a day on the water, and can lead to a pile of other headaches. I'd rather Reno a floor or something to meet budget than skimp on the engine.

05-May-22
Lastly - if you are looking for a boat for bow fishing. I would want a vinyl floor. Or buy a boat that is in good exterior shape and good motor and a bad floor that you can Reno the floor and put vinyl in. Shooting fish gets super messy. Carpet and mess are a bad combo.

05-May-22
I would have thought that boat/motor would be closer to $3500 assuming everything was in decent working order.

05-May-22
Is this a good deal,,, my opinion no, not at all...... I use to sell boats. Too many boat owners, think that all the add ons, increase value. To a dealer they dont. A customer, wants to buy a boat, motor and trailer................ He or she want to put the add ons, of what they like, and choose.....................................

Your in Colorado, so I can assure you, the fishing rigs, are not as numerous or plentiful, like you see in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and MI,,,,,,,, that is a fact.

String Puller observed it well, and made a good post on it..... Go to Wis Lake Link and compare, what you see being sold used. 5500.00 for that, not a chance. Too many other better deals out there. Also that boat is a "pounder", if your going to use it on good size water.......................... Good luck in your search

05-May-22
Seems a bit high to me, and the hull is definitely not for big water.

05-May-22

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Paul, I have no idea where you live in Colorado, but even though Colorado isn't a boat shopping destination I looked for about 1 minute and found this boat in Parshall, Colorado that I would much prefer to what you have shown. It is also listed at $5500. An e-tec is at least a good motor and good on gas. Unfortunately they are also being discontinued but I don't expect parts to be an issue. This motor is a 2014, the electric up front is actually usable as compared to the one you have shown, and the ad mentions a Humminbird though it is not shown. Boat is a little bigger and roomier. But look to Wisconsin, Minnesota areas if you want to see a bunch of good boats.

05-May-22
Too high Paul. I wouldn’t pay more than 3000. Like everyone said, Mariner outboards are trouble. You’d have to pay me to take the motor lol

05-May-22
Paul, after reading APauls comments, I would keep looking ! My son just bought a somewhat similar boat but newer for less money. Everything appeared to be fine but it left him out in the middle of Blue Mesa on the first time out. As was said earlier, I would get a test run before buying. Good luck to you on whatever you do, Bob

05-May-22
Not for 5,500, that boat I would be willing to pay no more the. 3k amd that's if it's running like a top keep looking and hold out for a better/ newer boat. With things going the way the are in the economy I have a feeling your going to see a lot of toys being sold, unfortunately.

05-May-22
Don't look like CO numbers.

05-May-22
Not worth it to us Kansas folks.

05-May-22
I would definitely have the motor gone through by a certified mechanic, if it shot craps on you, a new 50hp Mercury would cost you $8000 or $9000. I would be very careful if it were me. As said above, that style of hull design is not for large windy lakes. They’re great fishing boats for calm water.

05-May-22
I would avoid it all together in Colorado. You will be upset every time it gets windy, which is every day it seems. I'd cautiously take a much closer look at the boat Apauls posted if it even lasts a week on the market.

05-May-22
I live near Paul. That isnt a boat you want for the waters around here. You want something a bit deeper to handle the wind/waves when they suddenly come up.

I have a 14' alum LOWE with a 15hp Evinrude - I can catch all the fish I want out of that, but I have to be careful what lake I venture out on.

There are 2 good days when you own a boat - The day you buy it, and the day you sell it.

05-May-22
IMO... Pass.... Too old. On top of replacing the motor, trolling motor and electronics/wiring in due time, you'll need new tires and bearings on the trailer, on top of whatever else pops up.. You want to spend your time fishing or whatever you'll do out of it, not fixing something every time you get to the boat ramp or home.. I wouldn't give 2500.

05-May-22
Seems a bit high to me, and the hull is definitely not for big water.

05-May-22
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE FEEDBACK. BASED ON YOUR FEEDBACK, I WILL NOT BE PURCHASING THIS BOAT. IF I HAD, I WOULD HAVE OFFERED $4000 FIRM. I feel better already. Maybe I will just purchase a few set of waders and wader boots and grab up the fly rods. MY best, Paul

05-May-22
Polar Craft boats were originally built in Olive Branch, MS (on state line with Memphis, TN). They put out a decent boat at the time, but I don't know if they are even in business now. Mariner is basically a Mercury motor. I would have to question parts availability for a motor that age.

Bottom line personal recommendation- keep looking at newer rigs

05-May-22
I just sold a solid Ranger RT188 with $5K worth of electronics on it. I feel it’s cheaper for me to go three or four times a year with a guide.

05-May-22
If you get that far, take a heavy needle/ice pick and probe some of the corners, especially low down to see if the wood has rotted out.

05-May-22
Not with a Mariner on it! Who cares if the woods getting bad...it's an aluminum boat! I've replaced a lot of aluminum boat decking...it ain't that big a deal.

• Sitka Gear