JTreeman 20-Sep-22
JTreeman 20-Sep-22
Overland 20-Sep-22
Guardian hunter 21-Sep-22
TREESTANDWOLF 22-Sep-22
11-May-22

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
Reality really kicked into high gear yesterday. Flights are booked, (3) Hotels are booked (2) Car rental is booked (1), Licenses are purchased (2 - fishing and hunting). Holy logistics! Gear list is getting fine tuned (85lbs) along with the new bow set up. I'm fortunate to have a few hunts to work through the new rig and get settled. * Bought a hat yesterday and it came with a bow.

Now onto get an Iridium phone or InReach.

I am booked with Cesar Lake Outfitters in the Yukon and it has been an absolute pleasure working with Joel thus far. I was originally booked the first year of the pandemic... and here we are.

I have the option to add a Grizz tag. This is something to consider and discuss because I may not have this type of opportunity again really, provided I take a moose early in the hunt.

I know a few guys here have been up there and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I am beyond excited!

Of course I'm going to document the entire experience. :)

11-May-22
Get an Inreach, small battery bank and link it to your phone. Leave phone on airplane mode.

Get a grizzly permit, and if an opportunity arises either before or after you’ve got a moose, take advantage of it.

Good luck on your hunt, should be fun!

11-May-22
Good luck Rich, this should be another good one to follow.

11-May-22
You will be living my dream hunt. Best of luck, can't wait to read all about it.

11-May-22
I’m jealous. Really jealous.

11-May-22
Congrats and good luck. That's the dream hunt right there. It is on my bucket list

11-May-22
Don't forget to pack some fishing gear. Fishing in those Yukon lakes is really fun and can provide some tasty camp food! Above all enjoy the moment. The Yukon is more than a hunt!!!

11-May-22
Well, you’ve got the right bow so you’re on your way.

11-May-22
Good luck!

11-May-22
A trip I'll never make, so make the best of it! Shoot straight!

11-May-22
Three bow hunters took three record book bulls with Caesar Lake. It was a great adventure with great guides. Good luck.

11-May-22
Is this your first moose hunt, Rich?

11-May-22
Following! That's a bucket list hunt for most.

11-May-22
Good luck. Adding species is way more economical than going up for each individual species. Is this a base camp or horse aided? I would take the best rain gear you have and a good pair of camp shoes that are waterproof. Really nice at the end of the day or middle of the night pee.

12-May-22
Thx Nick, those are good tips! I'm going to speak with Joel about the Grizz Permit this weekend. Fishing rod and some small tackle will be a must Greg ! Thx Charlie, I agree. Ursman, I didn't realize 3 record book bulls, I thought it was two. One of the reasons I decided on Cesar was he only takes a limited number of bowhunters. TurboT. This is a river/lake hunt with a base camp. Agree on the rain gear, definitely. Good tip on the camp shoes also, thank you . T-Roy, yes it is :)

Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming, it will be here before I know it.

Right now, I'm using a "ball against the wall" to build up the "hold" muscles. Basically rolling a volleyball against the wall. 15 reps up, 15 down, 15 side to side, 15 left circle, 15 right.

Lord knows I may be a full draw for a bit if he opportunity presents itself.

12-May-22
That is Crazy kool man!

Enjoy and be safe,

Robb

12-May-22

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
You’re going to have a ball, Rich! Moose is probably my favorite animal to hunt (not that I’ve done it a ton) Their sheer size is incredible, especially when you walk up to one on the ground. I hoe you get to notch all your tags and end up having to fish the rest of the trip ;-)

The only other thing I can think to add is, take tons of pics of the hunt……I’ll definitely be following along. Good luck, Rich!

12-May-22
Buying the grizzly tag was kind of a no-brainer for me. It's their most expense license, but its only $25 CAN!!! Man, you are going to be hunting the Yukon. If you have the tag at least you can say you bow hunted grizz in the Yukon, even if you don't even see one! Hell, I tried to get my outfitter to buy me a Stone sheep tag for the whopping fee of $10. He laughed at me because he said I would be miles away from any sheep during my moose hunt. I said I didn't care, since it would be the closest I would ever come to bow hunting Stone sheep in the Yukon. He still didn't get me the tag. Enjoy your hunt.

12-May-22
Thx again all.

bowownly - point taken, very true …. Just added the Grizz Tag. >>>———>

12-May-22

20-Jun-22

After much deliberation with myself, I’ve decided my arrow build will be about 470 grains (Victory RIP TKO-300) total tipped with a Iron Will 100, vented wide.

Looking through the archives here, many moose have fallen to even a lighter set up.

Just received my Kuiu 2300 pack and am I impressed! Plenty of pockets to use day pack with a hydration bladder holder, expands nicely and generous straps. This should work out nicely.

20-Jun-22
Please excuse the double posts. I have no idea why it keeps happening.

21-Jun-22
Good luck..... How much poundage are you pulling on the new Matthews?

21-Jun-22
Following along, Rich. I'm booked to hunt Canadian moose in BC at the end of September (flying into Whitehorse, YT on September 26th). Picked up a V3X in the same color to you and my arrow build sounds about identical (same weight and BH). Feels a ways off, but I also know it'll be here before you know it!

21-Jun-22
Enjoy Rich! Your setup is great, and you've got no gear issues. One thing with moose too is you can draw while in full view of them. The only animal I'd rather draw later than earlier. Drawing too early as if it was a whitetail has the potential to lead to being tired and missing (ask me how I know. Thought I was going to shoot earlier than I did ugh) Whereas with a moose you can pull them into bow range, stand in the wide open and draw your bow while they look at you. Definitely would say more risk drawing too early in the risk/reward relationship but it never hurts to be prepared! Good luck!

21-Jun-22
Sounds great! Heard great reports about Cesar Lake from a fellow I met caribou hunting a few times. He thought very highly of them (rifle hunter). Good luck!

21-Jun-22
For those doing a moose hunt.. look into bringing your moose antlers home as luggage … I ended up paying over 3 g’s to have the outfitter do a European build a crate and ship it… My own fault for not asking… I could have paid $200 to bring it home with me and done the European myself… buyer beware I guess

21-Jun-22
Let those iron wills fly!!!!

21-Jun-22

Groundhunter50. I have it set at 63 Lbs with the 65 mods at 85%. Feeling very comfortable with hold at this weight and thank you APauls for that tip!

Bigeasy, I’ll be just ahead of you, flying in to Whitehorse on the 21st. What day you scheduled to fly back out?

Shug, another great tip. I’ve been thinking over this long and hard. I’d imagine I would have to split the set if I’m successful?

Kurt, I have to agree, totally this far. Back when I booked, another fellow Bowsiter had a great experience and took an amazing bull. I called right away after reading his write up.

Thx much Scoot.

Bou, yes sir!

Preparation is half the fun. Really appreciate all the tips and comments.

21-Jun-22
Good luck!!

22-Jun-22
As of now, I fly back home on October 9th.

I've had multiple people reach out to me about getting meat and antlers home as well as there were a few people saddled with the same bill that Shug got. Eric Bethune (Bowjangles) sent me some info on how he got his stuff home and I'm going to try that route. Certain airlines will accept antlers, even without them being split.

22-Jun-22
Rich, you are going to have a blast. Your set up is more than enough to take one down. Their sense of smell is amazing so always keep that in mind. Shoot straight and be ready for an amazing adventure.

23-Jun-22

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
My moose set up for this year, Rich. You’re a man of good taste!

23-Jun-22
Toronto airport seems to be sucking more than normal this year. If you have to connect there try to leave plenty of time.

23-Jun-22
Hey there Jason… on the same page with you. ;)

Huntinelk, so I’ve heard. I’ll be headed to Vancouver via Minneapolis, (Delta) then on Northjet to Whitehorse.

23-Jun-22
Looking fwd to following this. I have a friend that went to Cesar Lake four times, he arrowed three moose.

23-Jun-22
Decided to add a travel day on the front end in Whitehorse since I have a two hour drive to Watson Lake to allow for any delays.

I’m told if the hunter tags early, they may opt to get me started early.

23-Jun-22
It sounds like you will have a great time.... I am an old guy but hunted alot of BC and Western Canada in the late 70s and early 80s..... fabulous country,,,,, Different world today, but use all the time you have...... You will never regret it.... i look at my sheep and stuff on my walls, in my off the grid house in the UP, and many nights, I relive all of those hunts............... It was not so much for the success, but those I hunted with,,,, the hard work, the horses that would not cooperate, the cold meals, and the terrible meals..... The rewards of ribs on coals,,,,,,, Savor the whole hunt,,,,, it will make your life whole,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

24-Jun-22
Really good stuff groundhunter50. Those are the best memories.

25-Jun-22
Treestandwolf, you’re in for a great hunt! I did a moose hunt with Joel a bunch of years back in that first week of October and had a great hunt. Joel called my bull into five yards. My friend did the same hunt and tagged a grizzly and a great moose with the bow. Look forward to seeing your report.

25-Jun-22
Does this hunt have an option to fill your tag with a gun? If so, are you taking a gun/rifle?

25-Jun-22
Are you bringing any/some/ or all of the meat back with you? If you plan on bringing a lot of it back, you'd better have a freezer that is almost empty. Additionally, if you are bringing the meat back, you can pack most of your gear in the coolers for the trip out (including a couple duffle bags). On the return trip, the gear that was in the coolers, can now go into the duffle bags.

25-Jun-22
DWU. What a hunt right there! I’ve decided to add the Grizz tag after some responses here. Best one was “ I’ll already be there”. :)

Embry, Joel has rifles to rent, brand new and sighted in if a hunter wants to have one along. The reason he does this so the Hunter doesn’t need to travel with one. My guide will have one but I’m all in for bow… as I’m extremely confident and comfortable with this outfitter. I guess if it’s at the end of the hunt and there’s an opportunity… it will be a game time decision honestly.

Jake, good to hear from you. This is a complicated decision. Joel and I spoke about this a few times. I have a little issue with coming back based on the hotel and the availability of a freezer. I’m checking on that this week. I will definitely do what I can do to bring some wonderful moose meat back to NY. It’s going to be costly but heck…. At this point :^) great tips from the experienced guys, thank you, keep them coming!

26-Jun-22
I love moose hunting, my favorite, your arrow set up is perfect, good luck, I know I cant wait!

26-Jun-22
Archery Moose Hunt is my top bucket list trip -- unfortunately finances and medical issues have put it out of reach for me. I'm looking forward to the story and pics.

Good luck Rich!

26-Jun-22
It’s getting closer every day, Rich! Very much looking forward to the recap!

26-Jun-22
Good luck. Im headed to Alaska for moose this September so I'm following along.

27-Jun-22
Good Luck to you also Leo & Carcus, go get em!

Yes sir T-roy, man time is flying.

Joel suggests a "In reach and or Iridium"

I literally have no experience with the Iridium but a very good friend of mine did a fishing trip in Alaska last fall and stated the folks where really nice, walked him through everything and actually had minutes left over. I'm leaning this way.

BTW, I had to rent a vehicle to get to Watson Lake, for about a 4.5 hour drive. Geez the car rental prices are downright sick. Over the weekend I added a day on the back end of the trip, why rush. I actually saved money on the flights, moving the return to Monday, but the car rental upcharge was ridiculous. To boot our dollar is seemingly horrible right now :( This is no time to complain, just continue forward! >>>------------->

29-Jun-22

The new Victory “sticks” arrived today.

Looking forward to the build and tinkering.

21-Jul-22

I feel like I just won the lottery!

21-Jul-22
Yaaaaaa buddy!! Should be good with that setup! Can't wait to hear about this one.

21-Jul-22
You didn't tell us you were hunting seal too Rich!

21-Jul-22
This is going to be good..... best of luck up there. I have nothing to add other then if you have never seen a moose up close you might chit yourself the first time you do so bring a clean pair of briefs!!

21-Jul-22
I’ve heard Novembermadman. Only had one encounter with a Canadian in NB while bear hunting.

Bou, I was thinking the same thing when I received this. Lol.

A.Pauls, man time is flying now.

24-Jul-22

Turning arrows into bullets with some nock tuning.

24-Jul-22
Turning arrows into bullets with some nock tuning.

24-Jul-22
I’m as excited about this hunt as you are, Rich.

Ok…maybe not quite as much, but I’m definitely looking forward to following along!

24-Jul-22
Rich! I am VERY much lookin forward to following your hunt! I hunted the Yukon 2 x back in '06 and '08. You are in for quite a treat....Figure out how to bring as much meat home as possible! I brought back only 100 lbs, worrying about logistics and could have easily taken more. If time allows and you plan on overnighting in Whitehorse with a full day before heading to WL, I highly recommend wearing out that rental and taking a westbound road trip to Skagway. We did that in '08 and it was well worth the trip! We saw bison, elk, mountain goats, Dall Sheep, bears....was quite the trip. You can get there and back in a day and still have time for a meal & a beer in Skagway, do a bit of sight seeing, then bomb back to Whitehorse.

Reload and shoot him again! Only thing better than 1 arrow in a moose is 2!!

The planning and anticipation is almost as much fun as the trip! Enjoy it all!!

25-Jul-22
Sure, is getting Close!

Nice Tuning, Tack Driver set-up,

Robb

27-Jul-22
Hey Thank you T-Roy

Steve , very good information , thank you. I've panned on a full day in WH before heading to WL, and all the flights (LOL!) go according to plan, I can make it to Skagway! Yes, I agree, the planning and anticipation sure is. Working on other hunt plans has been challenging, I admit!

TY Robb, combing over everything so it comes down to the "Indian", not the arrow. :)

27-Jul-22

27-Jul-22

So..... I located a second VX3, brand new to set up exactly like my first with one exception. I decided to use the Axcel 5 pin with the integrate on this set up as opposed to the MBG 3 pin Ascent on the first. Going to give this set up a hard run, simply based on having the 5 pins fixed and set. My thought is not to have to make an adjustment "in the moment" should it present itself, and also to have a back up with me at WL

Can't imagine the airlines will loose 2 bows...do you? :)

27-Jul-22
Ditto on Jake's freezer advice! First day home from my one and only moose hunt...made a trip to the appliance store and bought a new upright freezer. No way the old chest freezer was going to hold that much meat. BIG animals!

Epic adventure on the horizon...best of luck!!!

27-Jul-22
I had to do the second freezer thing once too. Son and I took 2 in newfoundland on the last day and the wife had to scramble to find appliance store that would deliver that day. Did not good if it could not be set up when i pulled in to the driveway. It worked out. Those bulls were not as big as Rich's will be but they were not one-freezer big.

29-Jul-22

I’m planning on coolers with gear inside on the way out, and hopefully meat inside on the way back.

Geez another freezer! Lol.

The arrow build was fun and are complete. 473 grains tipped with a IW 125S.

29-Jul-22

29-Jul-22
That arrow weight is probably too lite for moose….JK ;-)

03-Aug-22

T-Roy. A little lighter than what I was planning. Tinkering is fun. Just have to stick with the plan.

First hunt using the solids. They look stout and fly incredibly perfect.

04-Aug-22
Looks like an awesome trip Rich! Good luck! I'm heading to BC for moose in September as well.

I have an almost identical arrow setup using GT Pierce, the Snyder Core solid and IW footing. Bare shaft and fletched fly awesome with the 2.1 four fletch, but can't control the broadhead at all so far. Gonna try a four fletch blazer today to see if that will help at all.

06-Aug-22
TY Scoot

Scott, that's great! Good luck to you.

06-Aug-22
Check out the Yukon Beringia Interpretive Center in Whitehorse, if you can. Even a short visit would be worth it. Imagine bow hunting those Ice Age beasts, then go shoot one!

09-Aug-22
When do you leave for the hunt rich?

09-Aug-22
Wheels up on 9/21 Bou.

NY Laguardi to Minnesota to Vancouver to Whitehorse, then overnight in WH, then -Watson Lake on 9.22 then camp. :^)

09-Aug-22
Rich we have pretty much identical times we will be in camp. Our first hunting day is September 22, good luck!

09-Aug-22
That’s great Dave. Timing should be perfect!

Best of luck to you also.

10-Aug-22
That’s great Dave. Timing should be perfect!

Best of luck to you also.

10-Aug-22
Wheels up on 9/21 Bou.

NY Laguardi to Minnesota to Vancouver to Whitehorse, then overnight in WH, then -Watson Lake on 9.22 then camp. :^)

25-Aug-22

The broadhead of choice for this hunt. Ironwilloutfitters S125 solids.

Now onto to get the fine tweaking done.

25-Aug-22
Oh ya!! I’ll be following along! Been too long since I’ve chased moose! I will be living vicariously through you!!

Setup looks awesome

25-Aug-22

50 yards dialed, but of course it’s only foam!

I’m certain the adrenaline will be pumping if the opportunity presents itself.

06-Sep-22

Update on the travel case.

I decided on the Legend Everest 44. Very happy with the purchase for some obvious reasons. One being this case is considered luggage so no waiting around at the oversize luggage area. Two: Built in TSA lock system. Three: It is well thought out with all the strapping, additional tie downs and moveable Velcro pockets and additional tie downs. It also came with a arrow tube that fits nicely in a pocket inside. It will hold plenty of clothes and even has a laundry section. One negative would be the zippered pockets on the exterior. No valuables in those! Zip ties I guess.

Getting close now. 15 more sleeps.

06-Sep-22
Excited for you, Rich!

06-Sep-22
This is going to be epic

06-Sep-22
I was in Watson Lake last week. The Northern Lights were fantastic. Who is flying you in?

07-Sep-22
Thx guys, really appreciate it!

Overland. as of today, not sure yet, Its a 'game time decision" made by the outfitter. We have "drive up" and "fly into" camp option on this trip.

07-Sep-22
I have the Legend 40 case. Works awesome! You can put a LOT of clothes and gear with your bow and everything stays put. Mine will be full and heading to Alaska in 4 weeks!

12-Sep-22
Best of luck Rich!

13-Sep-22
Best of Luck Jeff! and Thank you Dennis.

Wheels up in a week!

13-Sep-22
Good luck!

15-Sep-22
UPDATE: Received a message from the outfitter last evening that he would like me to drive up a day ahead of time after landing in Whitehorse so I can have an extra day of hunting.

Getting really stoked now.

Wheels up in a few days!

15-Sep-22
fantastic! very jealous and have a great trip! enjoy each minute

15-Sep-22
I’ll bet you were a little anxious when THAT call came in, Rich! Getting an extra day…even better!

15-Sep-22
..................a better message would have been plan to fly back home early there are moose behind every tree and you'll get a 65"er on day 1. In the end though that would not be as much fun as getting the extended hunt. won't be long now!

15-Sep-22
Thank you Ben

T-Roy yes sir! Whew

Good luck to you guys in Nefie Land Bou!

15-Sep-22
Good luck Rich! Really looking forward to your hunt recap. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

16-Sep-22
Thank you Ben

T-Roy yes sir! Whew

Good luck to you guys in Nefie Land Bou!

16-Sep-22
I'd have to rob a bank or cash out my 401k to do a hunt like this, but I won't mind living vicariously through you for free here on this thread! Good Luck to you, shoot a BIG one!

16-Sep-22
Rich, this is a big build up for all of us, you better get it done! Good luck

16-Sep-22
You better have the trip if your life. Maybe get a moose too if you get a chance.

16-Sep-22

Thank you Kevin. I enjoyed your stories at bear camp. They where great!

Dave, I honestly felt the same way years ago, then a good friend convinced me to start planning and scheduling ahead of time, a little at a time. I was fortunate to take his advice and I hope everyone gets to do their dream hunt.

Rocky and Straight Shooter thanks guys. Build up for sure.

There’s a couple of other guys up there and or getting ready also. I believe the timing is perfect.

Since it’s a early flight out of LGA, the Mrs. insisted I get a hotel near the airport and get a good nights sleep for the travel. (She’s the smart one)

It’s funny trying to pick and choose what to take and what not to take, but I’ve come up with a essential bow repair kit and RX kit with some skin glue. :)

The Sat phone arrived today right on time!

So far so good.

18-Sep-22

19-Sep-22

The Mrs. treated me to a “ Good Luck” present.

Not sure if it fits into the “ Hunt Prep” but it was awesome.

Also came with a 30 min massage.

I think I’ll keep her. ;)

19-Sep-22
Her?

Which one rich?

19-Sep-22
Lol!!! I’m thinking both Bou. :)

19-Sep-22
You’ll definitely get blisters now!!

19-Sep-22
Rick is definitely going to do this now!

Good luck on your hunt.

19-Sep-22
From the looks of those legs, maybe you should revisit one of the past “Manscaping” threads ;-)

Good luck and safe travels, Rich!

20-Sep-22

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes.

It is time.

Into the city for a over night and early departure to the Yukon! >>>———>

20-Sep-22
Best of luck! Looking forward to the hunt story!!

20-Sep-22

20-Sep-22

20-Sep-22
Safe travels Rich, thanks for taking us along the preparation process.

Can't wait to see the pics and read the post hunt story.

20-Sep-22
Good luck rich, should be awesome!

—Jim

20-Sep-22
Good luck rich, should be awesome!

—Jim

20-Sep-22
Glad you're on your way. One piece of advice - when you're in Watson Lake, avoid the Chinese restaurant at all costs. The gas station restaurant/diner is significantly better and the restaurant attached to one of the hotels is fairly decent. Food options are very limited in Watson but avoid the Chinese restaurant. I've been to Watson Lake a few times but will only make that mistake once.

Whitehorse has great food options.

21-Sep-22
This is going to be great. Exciting stuff.

22-Sep-22

Hello all.

I arrived with all my gear, on time, with a few small hiccups ( Which I will elaborate on later)

Thanks again for following and the preparation is over.

Flying out this am.

>>>————->

• Sitka Gear