Whatthefoc 12-May-22
x-man 13-May-22
Bowfreak 13-May-22
Mathewsphone 15-May-22
'Ike' (Phone) 23-Jul-22
Coondog 24-Jul-22
Two Arrows 31-Jul-22
12-May-22
What TB do you shoot and why? I’m switching from an index finger release. Thanks!

12-May-22
Nok 2 it. It is built by Carter and sold by John Dudley at Nok On Archery.

12-May-22
If Target Panic is your reason to switch, look for one that has a thumb-push rather than a thumb-pull. You'll thank me later. Mine is a Tru-Fire Stalker. I don't think they make it anymore. It can be switched from a pull to a push. It's easier to impart back tension on a wrist strap index finger release than it is a thumb-pull IMHO. A thumb-push however can be fired with true back tension.

12-May-22
Stanislawski makes some excellent thumb releases. Some models have a trainer pin that lets you squeeze the button without firing. I also hear a lot of good things about Carter releases.

12-May-22
I'm not following your description x-man. Please explain.

12-May-22
With a thumb-push, you can anchor with the thumb on the button, then use that as the fulcrum as you squeeze back, causing it to fire when you aren't expecting it.

A thumb pull (at least for me) can't be fired without moving your thumb. Most shooters who struggle with TP will admit it's the moving of the trigger that gets them. With my thumb-push, the only thing that ever moves after anchor is my shoulder blades. With my index finger release, the only thing that moves is my shoulder blades because I have curled my finger around the trigger and then I relax my hand as I "pull it through the wrist strap" while squeezing.

I can explain this much better in person....with visuals

12-May-22
Perhaps if I had longer fingers/thumb I would feel different. I am just not able to wrap my thumb far enough around the trigger to use it as a fulcrum with the pull models. And if I have to physically move the trigger-finger/thumb then it's not much good to me.

12-May-22
I switched last year. I haven’t shot them all, but I am very happy with the Stan Perfex. The release is adaptable in many ways and available in ‘short neck’ / ‘long neck’ and 4 sizes. There are sizing downloads available on the website. I really like the trainer lock. Allows you to execute your shot without loosing an arrow. Kind of like a dry fire drill with a rifle.

I also bought the resistance version of the exact same release. So I can change between the two with no change of hand position or anchor point. TruBall GOAT is also worth looking at. It can be converted between thumb button and hinge.

If I hadn’t bought the two Stan’s, I would have bought the two Nock-On releases. Silverback (resistance) and Nock2it (thumb). Same idea, both of these releases are same size and shape. Switch back and forth without effecting anchor.

12-May-22
I switch a lot between the Nock2it (thumb trigger) and the Silverback (tension).

12-May-22

Whatthefoc's embedded Photo
Whatthefoc's embedded Photo
Xman - there are lots of ways to execute the thumb button. At full draw, I jam the barrel in to the base of my thumb. As I pull thru, tension on the release pulls it forward in my hand. The barrel wants to move forward as well, but the knurling digs in and effectively ‘pulls’ the trigger - without ever moving my thumb.

12-May-22
Yes, I fully understand the concept. How does that work when it's 20 degrees and you have gloves on?

12-May-22
I use Carter First Choice and Wise Choice.

12-May-22
Worked ok. Freezer is full of moose. Light gloves - have to practice with them. Hands in muff until go time.

12-May-22
Nock2it

12-May-22
X-man, for the first time since I've been following your post on Bowsite, I honestly don't know what you are talking about. I'm sure it's your nomenclature or my thick skull, but any thumb button I've seen is fired with applying pressure to the trigger in the same direction.

12-May-22
My very first release was a hand held thumb trigger. I think it was a Bear product. You fired it by pushing on the trigger with the pad of your thumb. No bueno.

13-May-22
Truball Max hunter is a thumb-push. Truball Max Pro is a thumb-pull. For example...

13-May-22
I watched the video. I didn't even realize the "thumb push" type release existed.

15-May-22
Tru ball goat. Stay away from carter not the release they used to be

23-Jul-22
Interesting…

24-Jul-22
Carter Nock2It

31-Jul-22
I have a pile of different releases, thumb button and index finger. As far as thumb button I have a Stan Onnex, Tru-Ball Rave and a Tru-Ball Max Pro. The Onnex is a premium release but I actually prefer the Rave for hunting, so much so that I bought a second one for a back up.

• Sitka Gear