BULELK1 29-Aug-22
NorCalVineyards 05-Sep-22
NorCalVineyards 06-Sep-22
NorCalVineyards 08-Sep-22
BULELK1 11-Sep-22
NorCalVineyards 11-Sep-22
BULELK1 15-Sep-22
15-May-22
Long time member here on Bowsite. My son drew this tag with 1 BP. Odds around 1 in 35 or so. Still, from what I read, not a great hunt at all for UTAH LE. He will be looking to shoot his first bull with a bow. Can this be a quality hunt father son for a branch antler type bull. Season is the entire month of Sept which looks good. My son is shooting 55lbs now but will be up to 60 or so by season. He is in athletic shape. There's only like 15-20 total archery tags. Is there a lot of other hunts going on then? What's the hunt pressure like. Are the bulls vocal in this unit? Country is steep and deep! Some Wildo mostly NF and some private.

15-May-22
Used to live in Logan. Would see elk often while fishing above Red Banks CC and Franklin Basin.

15-May-22
Congratulations on drawing. Now comes the hard part. the unit is gorgeous with steep parts hard to access parts, tons of ATV use parts and cattle grazing parts. There are some nice bulls but I'm not qualified to say for sure. If it were me I would spend every minute hunting because it is a hard hunt. I have spent a lot of time there but cannot answer if they are vocal or not. It will be warm so I would seek out pine areas/north facing slopes with water away from access roads. You don't have pack in but stay away from the crowds. I hope this helps some.

15-May-22
Spike hunts, cow hunts, deer hunts? Are those all in tandem with the bull? Some good general info Boly and HDE. I like the middle of the month for dates and we can hunt 10 days before we have to regroup for Nevada in October.

15-May-22
Yes, general archery for spike/cow hunters take place the same time LE archery bull hunts do. Good thing is they end about the first week in Sept, leaving the remaining 1/2 of the hunt with just LE bull hunters.

15-May-22
I hear the hunt may be improving since they eliminated the rifle hunt and by the 16th all of the other hunts are closed.

16-May-22
I know a friend of a friend who had that tag last year- got into elk all the time but didn’t kill because he was chasing a specific bull (big). Helps he lives in Logan UT.

If you know how to hunt elk and are willing to go chase them sounds like a great hunt. I like the 3 rd week of sept best

16-May-22
Tony-----> I saw this similar thread over on M&M and thought it was you.

Congrats to your Young Fella.

North Cache is my 2nd most FAV unit for LE Bull in Utah, I go alternate years applying, 3-Corners. I'm on my 3rd waiting period now. Knowledge and Experience are so very important to me.

That guy mulepacker on M&M got a 390+ bull when he had his tag.

I'm off to Wyoming for the week but I'll get back wiff ya then. I know we have talked over the phone before but I don't know if I still have your number or vise-a-versa.......

Exciting,

Robb

16-May-22
I’ve killed a few elk with my bow some would consider great DIY wilderness trophy’s. I don’t consider myself an expert by any means especially when it comes to calling. As I get older and learn from past failures I find myself calling less and stalking more. Only one of my archery elk harvests have been from calling. I’m excited about this tag of my sons

16-May-22
ROBB - Have fun in Wy! I’ll be looking for your call when you get back. Later!

21-May-22
A guy that also works out during the winter months at my same gym guides for Mossback and his unit is North Cache. He is starting to get busy up there already so when I see him, I will see if he can share some area's from his almost 90 days a year up there!

Good luck, Robb

10-Jun-22
That sounds great Robb. Heading into the unit Wednesday to put up some cameras.

11-Jun-22
Make sure they are taken down by July 31, new law.

Good luck, Robb

05-Jul-22
Tag showed up on the mail - just got a little more “real” with tag in hand….Throws me for a loop every time with the envelopes return address being Fallon Nevada. Preparation season in full swing.

06-Jul-22
Good for the young fella.

I hope your scouting/hiking trip went well last month Tony.

We are getting on again/off again thunderstorms and more in the high country.

Exciting!

Good luck, Robb

08-Jul-22
I have hunted it. The dates were not as good then, but I still was there the entire season going into the 3rd week of Sept. I would treat it more like a general season hunt in other states, just with far less hunters around. The lower elk density keeps the bugling activity very spotty. You can cover a ton of ground and not hear a peep, then maybe one day in one drainage a bull is going off. If you're not wanting him to go home empty I would probably take the first real good opportunity you have. I found them to be infrequent. As a comparison from experience, I expect to have days on my WY general tag where I have more opportunities than I had the whole season on the North Cache.

10-Jul-22
They got rid of the rifle hunts in case you were unaware. What year did you hold the tag?

10-Jul-22
Yes, I am aware. As said the archery dates are better now that they did. Really has no big effect on the underlying issue of elk density. Hope you guys find a good one!

11-Jul-22
I think getting rid of the Rifle and having the much, much longer September rut hunt dates makes this a much better hunt than back when they still had all the hunts and chitty bow dates.

Good luck, Robb

11-Jul-22
BULELK1

Definitely a better hunt now! They had to because it was so shitty before. Literally not even on par with a decent general hunt in other states. It didn't drastically improve overnight. Still some great bulls in there because there is a lot of roadless area, but in terms of quality elk hunts I would take a WY general tag over that tag every day and 7 times on Sunday! 

11-Jul-22
^^^ what year was it you had the tag? Curious, because I can pull the tag next year if I want it.

12-Jul-22
He hasn't said what year nor the dates he hunted or even how many times he's had the tag??

Many years, when I helped someone with the N. Cache tag, I would get the Bear River Zone bow tag and hunt his tag in Ut. and then my tag in Idaho. Fun times and memories.

I just want Tony's 14-year-old son to have a fun and safe hunt----------->

Good luck, Robb

15-Jul-22

18-Jul-22
"I would get the Bear River Zone bow tag and hunt his tag in Ut. and then my tag in Idaho. " One of the reasons that tag is as bad as it is. We had guys going thru UT to hunt ID. Basically the same herd that gets hunted in 2 states.

Just make sure and come back and give us a report. I already know what the unit is, but I'm sure others would like to hear your recent experience.  As said, It's a marginal general hunt in other states with the caveat of far fewer hunters and a small chance for a big bull.  Have fun and enjoy the beautiful mountains! It is truly a glorious range. 

19-Jul-22
Yawn................zzzzzzzz

20-Jul-22
Most of these tags are what you make of them and surely not gonna be easy. F#ck we’ll just give it our best and let’s see what happens. Utah residents and others have been very helpful and we appreciate it. We got a solid plan for when we get back to Utah - right now we are just working on becoming most efficient with our gear

06-Aug-22
41 days from now we will be waking up in scenic elk country with a LE tag in pocket and a the goal of a 1st archery bull for my boy.

07-Aug-22
Heck yeah, time is flying by this summer.

I was planning on going up to Raspberry Days @ Bear Lake/Garden City and get ya some pix along the way, up Logan Canyon but these freaking downpour thunderstorms are washing huge rocks and pine trees down onto the road.....

Screw that!

Maybe next week--------->

Robb

07-Aug-22

22-Aug-22

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Quicky Update for ya Tony.

lush and green for sure!

That's moisture in the air from all the rain, not smoke.

Enjoy,

Robb

22-Aug-22

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

22-Aug-22

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Chasin' bow Muleys in this basin, hunting with these 40-somethings and their Monster Energy /Rock Star drinks is about killing me though! haha

I'll toss y'all some private intel.

Good luck, Robb

22-Aug-22
40 something's? Probably more like 30 something's.

22-Aug-22
Looks great Robb, appreciate the support.

23-Aug-22
You are Welcome,

Robb

24-Aug-22

BULELK1's Link
For $30 get ya a Spot-n-Stalk Mnt. Lion tag, Yes Ressy or Non-Ressy $30.00

I'm sure she wishes she had the tag with her.

Situations like this are on our local news weekly now it seems.

Good luck, Robb

28-Aug-22
For 30.00 I’ll put a cat tag in my pocket. Any chance I could ever get to save a few deer while hunting elk, count me in. Speaking of predators, any wolves in the N Cache?

29-Aug-22
I've never seen not heard a wolf in the unit or across the border in the Bear River Zone in Idaho.

It wouldn't surprise me if a loner passes thru now and then though.

Good luck, Robb

05-Sep-22
Looks like the weather will cooler next week on the N Cache! Hoping for a strong rut! Getting after it on the 16th!

06-Sep-22
Hoping the weather turns from hot to not so hot. That should kick it into gear.

08-Sep-22
Any smoke around Logan or the Logan canyon?

11-Sep-22
I drove home from a week in Wyoming, and I came that way home last evening.

Lots of smoke but cooler temps for sure. Compared to how it was when I traveled up to Wyoming last Monday morning for the week.

It should get blown out by mid-week with the rain/snow that is coming our way.

I'm up on the North Slope/Uinta's next wknd thru the last week of the Gen OTC Bow elk hunt and helping a guy that his daughter has the Youth Rifle Elk tag.

I'm hoping the snow hits the high country really good this week.

You 2 traveling in later this week still Tony?

Good luck, Robb

11-Sep-22
We gonna shoot for Reno Thursday after he gets out of school, and into camp late Friday afternoon. Looks like maybe the smoke is coming from Idaho/Washington?

15-Sep-22
Travel safe and have fun.

A couple of those guys over on M&M live right there and should be of value to you guys.

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear