walking buffalo 17-May-22
Glunt@work 17-May-22
Heat 17-May-22
cjgregory 18-May-22
ahunter76 19-May-22
16-May-22

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
I’m sure this will generate a range of opinions!!

16-May-22
I had no idea there was such a thing as A TROPHY CARP BODY OF WATER..................

And is there really a need to keep the creel limit as low as one fish (under 26”) per day?!

16-May-22
I can't even quantity my level of triggeredness. These guys make Don Lewis look like a saint. Throw the book at them!

16-May-22
We gave our carp to people when we bowfished. But rules are rules!

16-May-22
Weird, but OK. If it is managed for trophy carp, good! Glad to see some respect for them somewhere!

16-May-22
(Smacking forehead emoji). I'm sorry to sound like a poacher, but carp ain't game fish. They should pay them $4200 for killing the nasty non-native invasive things

16-May-22
They donated them to a bird sanctuary?! Just proves they're not a game fish. Nothing but a damn vulture will eat them

16-May-22
Rules are rules and I'm glad they got pinched.

They were cited for having no fishing licenses so they obviously don't care about even being a little legal.

16-May-22
So I googled "why are common carp protected in the Connecticut River". Pretty interesting for those that might want to learn something.

16-May-22
Around here you’d be more likely to get ticketed for releasing carp!!! Yankees!?!?!?!

16-May-22
They’re a non-native invasive species. Kinda weird that they’re protected in any way. They’ve drained entire reservoirs here to eliminate them. But still…..a guy needs to know the rules, and at least buy a fishing license if you're gonna fish public water.

16-May-22
Regardless on your feelings about carp they didn't even have a fishing license. Nothing but criminals exploiting a natural resource. I wonder if they're US citizens? I've seen similar incidents of excessive bag limits and ignoring length limits in the Galveston area almost always foreign nationals usually Asians or Latinos. Called on a Mexican guy once for cast netting undersized reds in San Louis pass. He kept everyone probably close to 20. Was nice to see the warden hand him a stack of tickets and take his fish and net they should've towed his truck too.

16-May-22
Interesting...

16-May-22
Fishing without a license is a ticket. But calling carp a trophy fish or having limits on them is amazing. I guess the law is the law, but maybe that law should be changed.

16-May-22
On a side note if they're illegals they ain't paying tickets or showing up for court anyway.

16-May-22
Here in Colorado we can shoot a tasty invasive bird species year round. No license required.

Carp aren't considered invasive in CT. They are, they just aren't considered invasive because they created a recreational industry. Weird, but I like shooting pheasants and catching brown trout so....

16-May-22
Not have a fishing license I get. I guess I get protecting carp in CT after seeing how bad the hunting is, carp are better than nothing I guess. If you can rarely see a deer or turkey on hunt maybe catching a carp is a big deal. Even if I could make 5x as much money in the North East I would not move there.

16-May-22
Every day I wake up and thank God that I don’t live on either coast.

16-May-22
Glunt & JohnMC get it. I was born in CT. Lousy skiing, lousy fishing, lousy hunting, way too many people. I left for CO just before my 18th birthday back in 1971. Best decision I ever made.

16-May-22
No game warden in CT knew how to write the ticket for over the limit. First time in the last 50 years anyone has been able to get over a limit of any game in CT. ;)

16-May-22
When you have a population density as high as CT you have to have strict limits on any natural resource or it will be wiped out. I even hear you are only allowed to bag 1 dog turd a day when walking your dog. Otherwise there might not be enough for the next guy.

16-May-22
I agree Drycreek. Third coast ain’t to bad though!

16-May-22
Aspen, CT banned plastic grocery bags last year in CT……sooooooo……

And I would be more interested in the homemade carp bait the guys used. They could market it and pay their fines and get new gear. :)

16-May-22
For a dam carp?

16-May-22
I thought most states wanted to exterminate carp.

16-May-22
Wait…. What!!! For a fraction of the fine they could have driven to Pa and legally filled a tri axle dump truck with carp. Not only are they criminals but they’re definitely not rocket scientist ls either.

That’s as stupid as the guy who poached black bears in Katmai when they’re as easy as raccoons in places easier to get to. I guess those people on Jerry Springer are real huh?

And for the record Asian carp aka grass carp are non native. Those look like the regular native species. Both are plentiful, easy to catch… and not what I’d call gourmet food. Jesus!

With all the ridiculous laws going into affect this day in age I can’t believe they don’t have stupidity fines. Like… take the regular fine and DOUBLE it because you’re a total dumbass.

16-May-22
The part that pisses me off the most is I’ve fished the same river but further up in MA and could never catch a damn carp and I tried for them! Rats

16-May-22
I just wished these guys would have at least done a “semi live” thread on their outing.

Then, we would have FINALLY actually had some real activity on a CT semi live thread….

16-May-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo

16-May-22
Reminds me of a scene from "Heartbreakers". The IRS tells 'em "We just want our cut"

16-May-22
There’s no shortage of carp in the CT river. There’s tons of them. Just 3 years ago there was no limit.

The State DEEP was approached by European carp anglers who wanted to make CT a‘Destination’ fishery for carp. Apparently it’s big industry over there. Lots of promises about tourism and tournaments. Our DNR went from Zero limits to a limit of 1 carp literally overnight. It effectively destroyed bowfishing. Everyone was upset; bowfisherman, bass guys, trout guys, basically everyone except carp fishing fanatics.

I serve on a board that advises our DEEP and was able to get the limit changed from 1 to 12 per person but that’s only for bowfishing. The limit for rod fishing remains one fish.

I don’t have any details on who got busted but I bowfished the CT river for 30 years and it was a popular spot for Connecticuts poor to fish and feed their families. This includes homeless guys who would catch carp and cook and eat them on the bank as we drove by in my boat. The DEEP advises people not to eat carp from the CT river due to unhealthy levels of toxins, PCB, etc. So my guess is whoever was keeping all these carp we’re probably doing it out of necessity.

I agree with abiding by the rules, but this rule was, IMHO, Ill conceived and unnecessary in order to appease wealthy European anglers. When it was enacted I asked the head of fisheries if the bowfishing or anglers were having any detrimental effects on the carp fishery and they readily admitted it was not. This was strictly a tourism and revenue play by The state of Connecticut.

17-May-22
Just another example of people's greed.all species need regulations or will be gone . They caught these guys but I'm sure many don't get busted.

17-May-22
Carp and coyotes will not be gone regardless of what we do. They will be here long after we are gone.

17-May-22
"This was strictly a tourism and revenue play by The state of Connecticut."

I guess you gotta work with what you got. ;-)

17-May-22
I wonder what the big topics are on the euro carp forums? I am sure one would be be Green Giant vs. Great Value corn.

17-May-22
That and they do a lot of Connecticut live hunts on those forums it seems

17-May-22
"Catch and Release" bow fishing will quickly gain popularity:) Other than a head shot, they will swim off every time if released, haha.

17-May-22
I fish for carp quite a bit in my pond and using the carp rigs sure make it easier to hook and to get off the hook.There was a show on the Outdoor Channel where they fished for huge carp in the US.In Europe carp is one of the most common fish that are fished for over there because they are in public water alot at least thats what they said on this show.The law is the law

17-May-22
Years ago (2000's) when I was hardcore in the BAA and the bowfishing world there were several organizations that were trying to get European Style Carp fishing brought to the states to generate tourism and revenue. They even tried to get carp into a sportfish status rather than a rough fish status. The succeeded is a few places and this lake make have been one of them. I'm going only off memory. I believe they got one in TX as well.

17-May-22
I get rules are rules. But a law protecting carp? I don’t think so.

But bullheads,,,,, throw the book at them! Lol!

17-May-22
I get it but broke the law regardless

17-May-22
Mule Power, the fines for stupidity should go to the people making these laws. There should be laws to prevent the passing of laws to protect non-native invasive species.

17-May-22
Can't give carp away around here. But, rules are rules.

17-May-22
Mule Power

"And for the record Asian carp aka grass carp are non native. Those look like the regular native species. "

Are you saying that common carp are native?

If yes, then why did the US commission of Fish and Fisheries import them from Germany (1877)?

17-May-22
Carp are not native to the US. Common, Asian, big head, grass or whatever other species.

17-May-22
I kinda thought the same thing until I realized all the fish recreationally caught with the exception of two trout are all non-native here in my state. I kinda like catching big bass and flathead cats so I won't be a hypocrite here and say it is wrong to protect them. Carp is a trash fish here, although White Amur in the canals are a no-no to take. They are stocked for weed control and are supposedly sterile.

18-May-22
Carp trophies? Do they mount them? Interesting. I don’t care one way or another but they are quite invasive.

19-May-22
They broke the law & were arrested & fined. Great, as it should be. NOW, IF we could get the Democrats to ENFORCE "REAL" violations of the law. 1-Arrest those protesting at Judges homes, not furnish more protection 2-Arrest rioters, thieves in our major cities 3-Secure our borders. Sorry, but ENFORCEMENT of our "very important" laws seem to be ignored.

• Sitka Gear