Darrell 24-May-22
KHunter 24-May-22
Pop-r 25-May-22
Darrell 25-May-22
Framer141 07-Jun-22
badbull 07-Jun-22
nvgoat 07-Jun-22
22-May-22
Hoping to cash in points for that once in a lifetime hunt. Have hunted Gunnison for over 25 years and had some pretty good success. But I’m 62 years old and been hit with a really aggressive form of arthritis, fusion in my low back, both shoulders, both hips, and one knee replaced. Still in pretty good shape but definitely can’t go like I used to. Got a buddy hunting with me. We’re going for the whole month of season. Definitely not going to use a guide, but need to have someone with horses on ready to pack out meat if we do any good. Coming out for a week in late June to do some scouting, looking for any good advice to make this hunt a success. Would be thrilled to break 300”!

23-May-22
I’ve hunted it. Yeah some 300” plus in there but mostly middling 6 point.

I think there are 2 outfitters in there, one is Frazier ( though Sammy sold that business) I cant think of the other one. You could see if they would pack something. There used to be a guy in South Fork that would pack in that Wiminuche wilderness. All of my experience in there was over 10 years ago so some of these guys are long gone. The FS will know.

23-May-22

Don K's Link
Freemon's General store has outfitter that can pack out in there.

23-May-22

RickH's embedded Photo
RickH's embedded Photo
Did you draw it this year? I've hunted it too in 2012 and I live pretty close to the unit so have spent some time there. There's a lot of elk in the unit and you can find them above timberline in just about every basin. You won't have any problem finding elk. I've seen a lot of bulls in there that'll go 250-300 but not that many over 300. It's a great hunt with lots of bugling. Send me a pm if I can help you.

23-May-22

KHunter's embedded Photo
KHunter's embedded Photo
you will find all horse packing options will tell they will pack your elk out IF THEY ARE NOT TOO BUSY taking care of fully guided hunters. Unlikely to get a firm guarantee if only hiring pack out service. Hunted it in 2017, 2018 (reissue tags) and 2021. Same answer each time from outfitter when asked about packing out elk. For the last hunt, rented llamas for the month and it was a great choice. killed a bull 9 miles from truck and 2 llamas carried most but not all of it.

You will also need to pay close attention to where you hunt if counting on a particular outfitter to pack out your elk—each outfitter is only permitted to provide service within a certain area defined in their permit.

24-May-22
Nice bull KHunter! I 100% agree with KHunter. Many times I have tried to find someone to pack an elk. Never was able to. I always hoped archery season would not be nearly as busy as rifle for outfitters. I figured it is a longer season, not as "focused" as rifle season. Also archery success is a lot lower so less packing. That never seemed to make a difference.

When I hunted 76 I planned to backpack in but never had to. I found elk within a mile of the road every day.

24-May-22
Hoping to get good news this week as I have 16 points. Spent last week working just outside Creede and got to get in the woods a couple times. Going back next month and will get real serious about nailing down plans A-D and hopefully get some ideas for plans E-Z. :) Starting to get really stoked as my plans A & B sure seem like home runs.

24-May-22
Darrell I think you’re a lock for that tag.

25-May-22
That bull will dang sure beat 300 all to heck looks like to me. Nice bull!

25-May-22
KS Hunter, I hope you're right but with historical 1/2 point point creep each year, I believe there will be a number of guys with 16 who do not draw this year. I'm just unlucky enough to be one of them. On the bright side, however, if I don't draw it this year, I will consider myself a lock for next and will have another year to learn it better. (And unfortunately, another year to get a year older and have more trouble with my feet, knees, back, neck, etc. Ah, getting older sucks!)

07-Jun-22
Barr3elkhunter, PM sent.

07-Jun-22
KHunter, like that pic. Nice looking animals and bull. Badbull

07-Jun-22
I was one of the lucky two out of 55 nonresidents with 16 its to draw this unit this year. Would love to hear past experience or recommendations as well. Will send PM to people listed above. Many thanks.

• Sitka Gear