mattandersen 24-May-22
drycreek 24-May-22
LINK 24-May-22
Norseman 24-May-22
Reggiezpop 24-May-22
Michael 24-May-22
GFL 25-May-22
23-May-22
Just curious how the prevailing winds change from one state/area to the next.

Post your general location and the prevailing wind direction.

Here in western MN:

50% NW

40% SE

8% SW

1% NE

1% calm

23-May-22
Are those % just your observation or did you get them from somewhere? NM seems to have a lot of SW, but to it often seems to me more like 99% blowing toward the waterhole or the animal I'm stalking LOL

23-May-22
I second smarba. I constantly check before I decide which stand to hunt, and more often than not change plans because the winds at my back when I get where I want to be no matter what my hunting apps tell me lol

24-May-22
Those NW and SE percentages are historically accurate. I added the 1% calm in there as sarcasm.

I guess the point of this was to see if everyone else also experiences two main wind directions that are pretty much 180 degrees apart. It really makes picking your spot important. It also makes me shake my head when I hear friends tell me that use pretty much the same stands no matter the wind direction.

24-May-22
SW PA and NE OH seems that SW winds are the prevailing winds...not sure of the other directions/percentages

24-May-22
East Texas, S or SE unless a northern is blowing in, then it’s generally NW.

24-May-22
It seems in recent years the prevailing wind is from the left at about 60 mph. To answer your question though, in western OK it’s south to southwest. A good winter will have a fair amount of north/northwest but a southwest is still the norm in the winter.

S/SW 65%

SE. 15%

West 10%

N/NW 8%

East 2% We consider anything under 8 mph calm and even on a “calm” day there’s a prevailing wind direction as far as enough to carry your sent to deer.

24-May-22
NOAA provides wind rose graphs for each major city/state/region.

24-May-22
Wisconsin, for the entire year, is south/ southwest. When fall and winter arrive, scatter in a bunch of north/ northwest.

24-May-22
When I think of the upper mid west winds it’s southerly during normal weather and northerly during frontal weather. Typical will have NE during the precipitation and after that has moved off it goes NW.

My best stands over the years have been NW wind stands. NW winds equal cooler temps.

25-May-22
Light and variable lol

• Sitka Gear