APauls 30-Jun-22
BullBuster 30-Jun-22
Ken Moody Safaris 30-Jun-22
25-May-22

Ken Moody Safaris's embedded Photo
42” Plus
42” Plus
We’ve been busy with cape buffalo the last two weeks…Six bulls shot, five in the salt.

25-May-22

39” Plus
39” Plus

25-May-22

42”
42”

25-May-22

40”
40”

25-May-22

44 5/8”
44 5/8”

25-May-22
The late rains and ultra green, thick foliage is making it tough but we’re getting it done. All of the buff taken from day 5 on. If you’re looking for walk and stalk adventure and close range encounters, contact me to make that happen. Will keep posting as the buffalo hit the salt.

25-May-22
That last buffalo is huge, carrying his mass deep down the horn.

25-May-22
they all look massive to me!

25-May-22
They all look great. But that 44” is special

25-May-22

Better photo of that was 39” bull. Didn’t like the first one I posted.

25-May-22
That 44 is a tank. Damnnn

25-May-22
He definitely has the hooks. The mass throughout the horns is superb. Really heavy.

25-May-22

He has a massive body as well. Thick neck, huge girth. Great buffalo.

25-May-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
He’s Like this brute I saw in Kruger a few weeks ago

25-May-22

26-May-22

57” Kudu bull hit the salt. Free range, Botswana border.

26-May-22

57” Kudu bull hit the salt. Free range, Botswana border.

26-May-22
save a buffalo for me!

26-May-22
No worries Dave. Just keep your broadheads sharp :)

26-May-22
Do you have blinds set up on the salt or stalk in?

26-May-22
Don't kill them all before I get there...

26-May-22
Wkochevar, I think when Ken says “In the salt” or “ hit the salt” he means the skull and hide being put in the salt shed. They store the skulls and hides in salt until the taxidermist picks them up.

27-May-22

28-May-22

48” Sable bull, last morning on departure day! Tremendous bull.

28-May-22

28-May-22
Wow! What a bull

28-May-22
A 48” Sable bull is tremendous. It certainly didn’t look that big when we saw it. I thought 45” initially but once back at the skinning shed, the tape corrected my assumption. I’m so happy for our returning clients from Texas. They both shot buffalo last season and this year, a buff and this sable.

29-May-22
Would a 30-06 180grain nosler partition take care of a Buffalo

29-May-22
Ken, Do you feel it will dry up by the end of June and and leaves fall?

30-May-22
The Nosler Partition was a great bullet in its day and still does very well but IMO the Swift A Frame is superior. A 30/06 can kill a buffalo eventually :) but the .375 H&H Mag is the smallest legal caliber to hunt them in most places. The best all around caliber for buffalo is any of the .416s…yes, it is still very wet here and has rained off and on throughout May. Everything is still very green and thick but it dries out quickly and I think by the end of June it will come right. The wet veldt makes it tough to pattern buffalo tho. Their drinking patterns are erratic.

31-May-22
Wow, a 48” sable is amazing!

Ken, what’s your recommended bullet and velocity range for a 375 Ruger for buff?

31-May-22
If you hand load use Swift A Frames or Barnes TSX with 300 grain bullets pushing 2000fps or better.

31-May-22
If you don’t hand load, the standard ammo offered in Hornady DGX will work. The new Hornady offerings are much better than their old stuff. The standard factory ammo pushes the 300 grain Hornady at 2600+.

31-May-22
ken, thanks for sharing.

those that are rifle kills, what is a typical shot distance?

31-May-22
Around 50 - 60 yards.

31-May-22
When are solid/ non expanding bullets recommended?

31-May-22
Some really great animals across the board. Good Buffalo!!

01-Jun-22
Clients should really only use softs. Solids are for backing up as penetration is key to stopping a charging buffalo which must be hit in the brain or spine to stop. You might turn a charge with a well placed shot but to stop it ultimately, you need to hit the brain or spine. Softs expend more energy into the buffalo and cause more internal damage. Clients really shouldn’t bother with solids unless hunting elephant or rhino. A solid can also pass thru one buffalo and hit another. Just stick with quality softs like the A frame.

20-Jun-22
Ken what size were the bases on those Buffalo?

21-Jun-22

Cannot say. Didn’t measure anything but the spread. Here’s an old warrior we dropped yesterday. Client was using a Chapuis double rifle in 450/400. Two shots close range.

21-Jun-22
Those side by side rifles are so "classy", they just speak Africa............ Wow what a big animal,,,,,,

21-Jun-22

It’s a sweet rifle. Much lighter than my Merkel .470. Did a number on the buffalo as well. The 450/400 3” and 3 1/4” are two of my favorite calibers in a double.

21-Jun-22
Just reading those calibers makes my shoulder sore….

21-Jun-22
Good Lord Ken, those are some old warriors for sure. Thanks for this thread.

23-Jun-22

30” Nyala bull hit the salt today.

23-Jun-22
Wow. Very impressive. Don’t see a lot of true 30s. Congrats to the Hunter and good job to the PH

29-Jun-22

Grounded another today. Client from Quebec. First shot was good but the buffalo wasn’t impressed. Brought in the dogs and they were on him in about 300 yards. Buffalo bayed a bit then ran, bayed and ran, and finally broke out of the thickets where we could hit with one from my .470 Nitro, two from a .500 Nitro, and two from the client’s .375. Buff made it about another 100 yards and fell. He was in some of the thickets stuff you can find. Good dogs for wounded buffalo are life savers.

29-Jun-22
And people bowhunt these things?

29-Jun-22
First shot on this buffalo ruptured the aorta. The blood trail was significant but he still ran 300 or so yards, and circled back to our flank, as they usually do, waiting on us. The dogs jumped him and ran him out of the thorns and thickets where it took another five good shots to ultimately drop him. Cape Buffalo are different.

29-Jun-22

29-Jun-22
Bou’ That is why you bow hunt them. The unpredictability :>)))

29-Jun-22
That's why when people bowhunt them a lot die due to lead poisoning. The guys who truly kill one with a bow have done something amazing.

29-Jun-22
The first picture of this thread is of me. The top 4 hunters were my group of buddies. The 4th pic looks like a success by Moody, but its misleading. They were stalking my friend's wounded buff and saw that one and shot it. Wrong buff. Here is the description of the hunt that the 4 of us booked: " This is a newly acquired reserve on the boundary of the Kruger, others similar to this you may have heard of are the Balule, Kalserie, Mthimkulu, Timbavati, etc. The fence between the 5 million acre park and this reserve will be permanently removed in July 2018 - thus hunting will commence in 2019. This will allow the grossly over grown population (in the park) of buffalo, elephant and other game to have more area to roam - and I assure you they will." What we got was a caged hunt. None of us would have booked this hunt had we known. Lots of other bad things. We are all really pissed. Unethical outfitter.

29-Jun-22
Got the popcorn ??

29-Jun-22
I think he should proceed with any legitimate complaints Just like any other hunt report

30-Jun-22

Love to wake up in Africa to a bit of nonsense. I’ve always believed that social media retaliatory posts fall within the realm of bitter teenage girls and men with no sack. I don’t like participating in such childishness, but when silly accusations are made, my hand is forced… Point 1… The venue change occurred due to the closure of the area. As you can see, official hunting there was due to commence in 2019 on a limited basis and fully implemented in 2020, but as I recall, a certain worldwide event occurred in late 2019 and carried over into 2020 when no international travel was allowed. Many hunting/touring operations closed their doors as no income forced them to. The APNR area near Kruger Park discussed was one of those. Infrastructure was in place but in light of absolutely no business, this new area was abandoned. Management cut their losses and pulled out. My company had deposited $23,000 there and that was not recovered. A hard knock but we carried on and never went to our clients with this information. We simply honored their deposits. It was the ethical thing to do. Venues in Africa change from time to time due to many factors, but Covid’s impact on the industry here cannot be overstated…Above is the contract signed by this particular individual, clearly showing the hunting area was to be Limpopo North, not the area originally discussed. Limpopo North is exactly where he hunted.

30-Jun-22

Point 2…The buffalo pictured that he claims I’m trying to pass off as something it is not was, in fact, shot by me and my team. We had tracked the client Roger’s wounded buffalo for a over five hours and when we got our dogs on the scene, continued with the track which led to the river. As we stopped for a quick rest, a bull jumped from upon the track and charged up the hill towards one of my PHs. It ran past him and I told him to shoot it after which I shot it as well. When we inspected it, we discovered it was not the wounded bull but one that was lying in a thicket directly upon the track of the wounded one. I would have shot this bull 100 out of 100 times as everything indicated it was the wounded bull and leaving an injured buffalo to hurt or kill someone else is something you do your utmost to prevent. I’ve attached a photo of a post I made about it on another thread clearly stating that it was me who shot this bull. No one is trying to hide anything. I paid in full for the buffalo and we carried on.

30-Jun-22
Point 3…The cage referenced is over 5,700 hectares (14,000 plus acres). The other cages we hunt are similar in size. These areas of Limpopo North are huge, thick, and challenging.

30-Jun-22

Point 4…Unethical? “We are all really pissed.” Interesting…The other members of the group don’t see it that way. In fact, on 20 June, a rifle hunter killed the buffalo that was previously wounded by Roger. The broadhead was found during skinning and recovered. As ‘unethical’ as I am, I didn’t keep it quiet and pocket his trophy fee (only three of us knew what happened). No, I sent him an email with a photo of the broadhead and told him what had happened and that his wounded bull had been recovered and that he was owed a buffalo from me.

30-Jun-22

Here is Roger’s reply.

30-Jun-22

One of the other “really pissed” hunters in the group contacted me about a return to hunt our Zululand area which is free range.

30-Jun-22

The other member of the group also approached me and asked about a return with his wife next year. We discussed at length and he too, left very happy. In fact, the perpetrator of this bullshit also inquired about a return if I would just let him extort me for a break on his hunt as claimed he had ‘issues’ with his PH. I did offer one as an appeasement but why, if I’m so ‘unethical’ would he and his ‘really pissed off’ friends all want to return?

30-Jun-22
In business, especially the hunting business, you’ll get a client from time to time that cannot be satisfied for whatever reason. Many times the client’s inability to shoot well results in the blaming of others for the misfortunes of wounding game. Now, I’ve got another buffalo to hunt this afternoon. I hope everyone has a very good day!

30-Jun-22
Here we go. Moody is like CNN vs Trump. Everything out of context. Except for Roger (who is pissed out fences), we made these comments because we thought Moody may possibly make up for the injustices that he did too us. These are my best buddies. I can’t speak for Roger because I haven’t talked to him recently, but other than him I guarantee that none of us will return. And yes we signed on to Limpopo North because we thought it was the free range venue along Kruger. He will continue to try to discredit me in every way he can. It’s interesting how many PMs I’m getting from guys that agree to his past deceit. Check out the Outfitter Review I wrote.

30-Jun-22
You look pretty happy in your kill photo.....

30-Jun-22
If you are continuing to have “issues,” pick up the phone and call me like a man might do. You know what time it is in Africa.

30-Jun-22
The guys has decades of support and positive references on this site and elsewhere for his current and prior operations. I'd hunt with him any day if Africa was of interest. Any day.

30-Jun-22
The smiles in the trophy pics above just cry "injustice".

30-Jun-22
So BullBuster just for context it looks like Ken explained why the area was changed to Limpopo North and that you signed a contract to hunt Limpopo north. Your team continued to hunt and shot buffalo. However, it is obvious your expectations were not met. What were your expectations?

30-Jun-22
Ken just sent us a contract. He never said there was a change. We had no idea that Limpopo North was not the hunt that was sold to us along Kruger. We only booked the hunt because it was described as free range. When we arrived in Johannesburg, the day before going to camp, we learned that the camp was not near Kruger. So I emailed Ken and said what’s the deal? That was the first time that he told us that he had lost that concession but we were hunting self propagating Buffalo and we would be happy. Again never mention fences. What were you gonna gonna do, turn around and go home? When we got there it was a caged hunt for sure. Never an apology. No compensation. There is no arguing this point. He even sold the meat to a butcher for additional profit. His website had said meat was donated to local communities. This is just tip of the iceberg.

30-Jun-22

This safari, originating in 2018 (four years ago) was booked thru a booking agent who provided the narrative and description of venue. He booked about a dozen buffalo hunts for us that year at various locations based on where our quota was available. As you can see from the email sent to this individual in 2019, I stated “depending on venue” when describing how far we were from Johannesburg. He never questioned the venue then. We plan the hunts based on where we have available quota. The venue mentioned by the agent, failed to open as previously stated. We simply planned around that, and contracted the hunt for Limpopo North. Contracts were signed without any questions regarding venue location. Yes, meat shot in Limpopo is mine and I sell it outright. It’s then sold thru local butcheries to the local populace. Meat shot in the North West is donated to the local village as they control the hunting on the property. Meat shot in Zululand, the same. It’s kept there. Caged hunt is the most misleading, dumbest thing I’ve ever read.

• Sitka Gear