Aspen Ghost 25-May-22
sitO 25-May-22
RT 25-May-22
Glunt@work 25-May-22
Paul@thefort 26-May-22
Mule Power 26-May-22
Norseman 26-Jun-22
25-May-22
I talked to a guy buddy of mine that lives up by Steamboat. He was telling me that a couple of his guide buddies that are local there were saying they’ve seen elk being harassed and chased down by packs of wolves there in Colorado.

That didn’t take long…..

Anybody else with some first-hand information?

25-May-22
Been happening up here for a while…. Wolves have been around here since very shortly after they were reintroduced in Yellowstone.

25-May-22
Bring in the Donkeys I guess!

25-May-22
I talked to a guy buddy of mine that lives up by Steamboat. He was telling me that a couple of his guide buddies that are local there were saying they’ve seen elk being harassed and chased down by packs of wolves there in Colorado.

That didn’t take long…..

Anybody else with some first-hand information?

25-May-22
One of our truck drivers watched them chasing pronghorn north of Walden. A rancher buddy also saw them chasing pronghorns a week ago.

They have been in North Park for a while and they eat around 20 elk per year/per wolf or some equivalent so reports are interesting but if they are there, they are eating whether people see it or not. A day when they aren't chasing elk would be the exception.

25-May-22
According to Denver post article 8 Jul 2021 "Wolves in Colorado are back — and they’re breeding a whole new generation.

A month after Colorado wildlife officials announced the spotting of three gray wolf pups near Steamboat Springs, Colorado Parks and Wildlife on Thursday said staff have now spotted six pups.

Wildlife officials in June said they believe the litter belong to John and Jane, a pair of breeding wolves the state had been tracking."

So 6 pups plus the original pair = 8 last year. How many pups will there be this year?

25-May-22

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I heard you even had a shirt made Nick?

25-May-22
Sound conservation model.

25-May-22
If they had pups this year, they should be leaving the den any day now if they haven't already. I would imagine the CPW already knows the status. Gittlesons lost 3 more calves to wolves after installing fence, lighting and having night watch on duty.

26-May-22
100 wolves in Colorado will kill 1500 to 2000 elk per year (based on information from the three states north, who have had wolves since 1995.). Mostly cow and yearling elk so less production. 300 wolves will kill 4500 to 6000 elk per year. Bow hunters in Colorado kill less than 6000 elk per year. The State reports an elk population of 284,000 elk.

26-May-22
I hunted on the Gittleson ranch leased state land 2.5 yrs ago and Mrs Gittleson had already named a black wolf at that time. Thinking back on that hunt it all makes sense on why the elk were doing what they were. You can rest easy though. the state is on the case. The game warden was more concerned about let off weight and Broad head design on the Long Bow I carried.

26-May-22
Well thank God they only kill the old and sick and once they reach the population goal they’ll quit reproducing. It’s also good that only one female per pack is allowed to have sex and the rest follow the rules. Otherwise this could actually lead to a serious problem. Also worth noting is that Colorado has more elk than any other state so there are plenty to spare. It’s all good.

26-Jun-22

Norseman 's Link
Git er done. That big dog pissed itself

• Sitka Gear