joehunter 29-May-22
wildwilderness 29-May-22
D.O.D. 29-May-22
DanaC 29-May-22
WI Shedhead 29-May-22
APauls 30-May-22
jimss 30-May-22
29-May-22
I bought a bunch of cameras and amazon high capacity AA 2,400mAh rechargeable batteries. I have a nightmare. I suspect some cameras and some batteries are not working right. I have about 10 cameras and 100 batteries. Trying to figure out what is wrong involves a lot of variable. For example 1 cameras clock is super fast. Like 5-6 days per day. Literally you can watch the seconds fly by at about a 6:1 ratio to real time.

Anyway my point is I need to figure out a way to narrow down what the problem is. My first thought is get a charger that can detect a bad battery. Is this a good idea? What would it cost? Next what batteries do you guys use? I researched and amazon got good reviews and tested good so I went with it. I definitely got some bad batteries.

29-May-22
I've using Rayovac brand for years. No complaint and way cheaper then energizer.

29-May-22
get a small handheld battery tester

29-May-22

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo
Energizer lithium batteries. I can’t imagine using anything else.

29-May-22
Tried rechargeables in my trail cams, they're a no-go. Alkalines for 3 seasons, lithium in winter.

29-May-22
I run the lithiums that moose showed, or duracell. I suspect it is most likely the batteries you are using. Stick with the name brands any you should be fine. Most cameras are not set up for the high performance batteries.

29-May-22
Copper top Duracell, work well on my cams.

29-May-22
You should start with putting alkaline Energizer batteries in 2 or 3 cameras. Put where your, dog or kids would set them off for a day or 2. I had very bad luck with Duracell alkaline batteries, leaking in winter. Having cameras by the house you can see how their working. A plain volt meter would show a charge, but not how much battery capacity. It only takes 1 or 2 bad batteries in a group of 8 to mess things up. Maybe find something that runs on your battery size. Charge them batteries, mark each battery with a number, check voltage, write down voltage of each battery, put batteries in a, say tool with a motor, run for 5 minutes, pull batteries and check voltage. All should be about the same, put back in run again for 5 minutes. If this time or last, you find a battery voltage say 2 or 3 tens of a volt lower than the other 3 it's most likely bad. I would charge batteries and remove from charger and wait 24 hours before doing test. I also would measure batteries voltage, right out of charger and then right before test.

29-May-22
Never use rechargeable batteries in trail cams. Made that mistake once. Never again.

Also, don’t buy bulk batteries from Amazon. They are typically old. Made that mistake once when I bought 200 lithium ion batteries. When I got them they looked like they were sitting around for years in a warehouse. Should have returned them.

Now I only use fresh store bought Duracell batteries from BJ’s for my static cams and Lithium batteries + a battery box for all my cell cams.

29-May-22
Ahhh so I guess rechargeable is my issue. That makes sense because I often get low battery messages, no IR, etc. Things I did not think I should get but rechargeable batteries explains it. Thanks!

29-May-22
Agree with Mqqse above. I find single-use lithium to be the cheapest to run year-round, based on life compared to copper-tops. The cheapest way I've found to buy the Advanced Lithium batteries is from a seller who can offer the industrial-use packaging version. They come packed in 4-per-pack paperboard boxes with 6 boxes per package (24 total per box). The boxes state "Not for retail trade". Same exact batteries as the blister-packs you buy in a store.

29-May-22
Same as Moose…I’ve had to many Copper Tops leak, no bueno….

29-May-22

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
by Wing Home
TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
by Wing Home
Don, have you tried a solar panel with batteries as a back up?

These Lithium battery solar panels by Wing Home have been out over a year.

$59.99 on Amazon

29-May-22
My experience is different from Pat’s. I buy Energizers from Amazon or Sam’s and have no problems with them. Duracells are my second choice, but I’d rather not. I tried the rechargeable batts with poor results.

29-May-22
Ultimate Lithium Energizers - I get over 15,000 pics on a set of 8 in warmer months.

29-May-22
Solar is they way to go!

I had some rechargeable batteries years ago and they never worked.

The lithium ones are what I use if I want them to really last. Cheap copper tops last for a season then tend to leak/corrode

29-May-22
once again, I run 12 cameras 24/7 year around , i have been using Amazon rechargeable for years, NO TROUBLE AT ALL. Another camera issue that has been questioned is reading cards: I read MOST ALL cards in field using an old canon point and shoot, sx2oo IS, NO NEGATIVE ISSUES. Those experiencing negativity with rechargeable batteries, whats your gripe? I run Moultries and Bolys these days and literally THOUSANDS of pics! OF COURSE camera manufacturers tell you not to run rechargeable, they want you to buy their branded batteries.

29-May-22
"whats your gripe?"

I used a good brand - Eneloops - rechargeable and they didn't hold a charge for crap. Tried Energizers as well, ditto. If they work for you, great, but I'll pass.

29-May-22
The energizer lithiums dude can’t go wrong I have cameras out over two years and 15k pics still goin strong especially in cold cold weather

30-May-22
Kirkland AA's have been great for me. I have had cell cameras work throughout the cold Canadian winter on em. Can't beat them at the price.

30-May-22
Just as important as battery type is game cam models. Some tend to eat batteries more than others.

• Sitka Gear