Lewis 10-Jun-22
smarba 10-Jun-22
Basil 10-Jun-22
rickepanton 10-Apr-24
Shrewski 10-Apr-24
grape 11-Apr-24
fuzzy 11-Apr-24
07-Jun-22
I have a small bear all cut up and ready in the freezer. It is my first bear, so don't have any experience on how to prepare it. I can cook venison any day , but , I understand bear is a different animal , so to speak. What are your favorites dishes with bear? By the way, I rendered all the fat I could , and used some already to make pastries.

07-Jun-22
Grill the back straps and tenders like you would venison or beef.

Roasts - remove fat as best as possible then toss it into a crock pot (like a pot roast) and set on low.

Enjoy

07-Jun-22
Remove the fat?????

That is what taste good. I leave some fat on all cuts and the extra fat I render down and fry steaks in it. Use bear fat where ever lard shorting or oil is called for. Mix it with venison when making burger. Its whitetail that remove every bit of fat that stuff is what makes venison taste not so good.

This fall bear i am taking extra containers to collect bear fat that other hunters toss.

08-Jun-22
I’ve smoked hams, pineapple /teriyaki summer sausage and make Spinich and feta cheese snack sticks a few days ago with 70/30 bear & pork

08-Jun-22
A friend makes bear stroganoff and it is delicious.

08-Jun-22
How ever you prepare it, make sure it is cooked long enough to reach the the temperature that is required to kill trichinosis.

08-Jun-22
May be too late now as you may not have saved them . The bear ribs are my all time favorite . We cut them up small enough to put in our Instant Pot. Cook around 1 hour. Take out and place on aluminum foil . Add a dab of your favorite barbeque sauce and place on pre heated grill. I cook that way a little while and then slide them off foil on to grill ,to slightly brown them. Awesome eating !

08-Jun-22
"May be too late now as you may not have saved them". Guess what! I saved them! As I started butchering, I took a god look at them and though, mmmm... those look good ... My wife makes awesome ribs, next time I'll give her these to prepare.

09-Jun-22
Use a meat thermometer to ensure you get it hot enough. Rare like an elk or deer steak likely won't cut it. Beyond that every way we've cooked bear turned out great, we don't do anything different than other game meat. I made some bear and oryx parmesan the other night. Cut like steaks, dip in egg, then cheese/bread crumbs, sear, then cook in oven with spaghetti sauce, fresh mozzarella and additional cheese. Yum! We thought the bear was actually better than the oryx, and that's really saying something.

09-Jun-22
As "Old Reb stated - cook it well done.

Must watch is from Steve Rinella (meat eater) and how he contracted trichinosis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx5ZKJ0Vozc

09-Jun-22
I think bear hamburger is 10x better than any other wildgame.

10-Jun-22
Curious would a big boar be any good for table fare interesting thread as we do have an archery season here in Tennessee.Lewis

10-Jun-22
The only bear I have killed was ~300lb+ old boar, he was in a drainage feeding on acorns. Delicious and tender.

10-Jun-22
Not sure why but I think bear is hands down the best stew meat there is. I also mix it with my venison rather than beef or pork when grinding burger.

10-Apr-24
Even though your post is a couple of years old, it's never too late to explore new recipes for your bear meat. If you still have some in the freezer, there are plenty of delicious dishes you can try. Since bear meat is rich and flavorful, it's great for hearty dishes like bear stew, chili, or even a bear meat pie. You can also use it in place of other meats in recipes you already enjoy, like tacos or pasta dishes. For more culinary inspiration and tips on preparing bear meat, you might want to Click here for culinary tips. They offer a variety of recipes and advice that could help you make the most of your bear meat.

10-Apr-24
One of the top 5 meals I’ve had in my life, not just game meals, was a bear pot roast in a Dutch oven. Incredible. That was a fall bear eating berries and acorns.

11-Apr-24
Agree that bear hamburger is the best. Also, I make sausage with it without using pork. Give it a try.

11-Apr-24
Second the bear ribs. I love bear meat!

• Sitka Gear