cnelk 13-Jun-22
maxracx 13-Jun-22
wyobullshooter 13-Jun-22
elkmtngear 14-Jun-22
BULELK1 14-Jun-22
Cheesehead Mike 15-Jun-22
Grey Ghost 15-Jun-22
12-Jun-22
The first 5 or so elk I killed I removed the ivories - haven't since then. The ones I do have are someplace down in my "hunting room". Just wondering if you always take the ivories, if so, what do you do with them?

12-Jun-22
Yep, every set. I’ve had a ring and necklace made, the rest are in a plastic container.

12-Jun-22
Yep. Not a big collection (6 sets) but I saved them. Like the OP, mine are all in a drawer down in my basement workbench area. On the neatest set I have, both ivorys have pretty big cavities in them. Can’t remember for sure, but I’m thinking they came out of a younger raghorn bull. That’s the only set that are like that. Maybe it’s a fairly common thing, though.

12-Jun-22
Yes

12-Jun-22
Definitely.

12-Jun-22
I haven't kept all of them. The ones I do have are just sitting in a box on the hunting work bench. Honestly, I do wish I had the rest. Either from ignorance or being in a hurry/forgetting, I've left a number in the field.

12-Jun-22
Nope. Never did anything useful with them. Stopped taking them years ago.

12-Jun-22
Heck I even keep em out of dead heads I find

12-Jun-22
I put them back in the euro when I finish cleaning the skull.

12-Jun-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo

12-Jun-22

Yep, I even take elk ivories, May 2022 ivories

12-Jun-22
Not anymore

12-Jun-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Yep. Even cow elk have ivories. I keep them in a tanned elk scrotum

12-Jun-22
Not anymore.

12-Jun-22
Yessir every set.

12-Jun-22
Yes I save them. But don’t ask me where I put them. They’re in the house “somewhere.”

12-Jun-22
Nope

12-Jun-22
I have a western hat. I bought a flat braided brass chain to install as a hat band. I grind down the ivories and epoxy to the hat band. Looks neat.

12-Jun-22
Yup, but like Dale06 they’re somewhere around…

12-Jun-22
Affirmative. Two sets remain in Euro mounts. The rest are stored in a pill bottle. Haven't figured out what to do with those yet...

12-Jun-22
Always have, always will. I forgot the last ones though. My wife was on semi bed rest with our last kiddo so my mind was on getting out of the mountains and home as fast as possible. That was almost 6 years ago

13-Jun-22
of course

13-Jun-22
Yes, although I personally wouldn't brag about keeping them in a tanned elk scrotum LOL

I also just glue them back into the euro skull same as GFL.

13-Jun-22
Yup

13-Jun-22
Less than half of the time do I extract them. Then some of the ones I take, I give away.

13-Jun-22
I also have a ton of ziplock bags full of elk ivories I’ve taken out of the heads that hunters left behind at my plant.

13-Jun-22
Carry them around in your pants pocket with some coins for a couple months & they polish up quite nice. Plus every time you touch them you remember the hunt.

13-Jun-22
Absolutely 100% all of the time. Once. :)

13-Jun-22
Yup, keep them all, have them all in a baggie in my archery shop. My baggie is NOT made of scrotum however.

13-Jun-22
Yes, but I seem to misplace them often. I got about half of them now.

13-Jun-22
Cnelk is in a league of his own!

13-Jun-22

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
elk ivories, bear claws, beads
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
elk ivories, bear claws, beads

13-Jun-22
Yes, I believe my Son & I have removed every ivory. Not sure if all are accounted for but we had good intentions!

ElkNut

13-Jun-22
Never did trip my trigger but it was fun watching the kid dig 'em out at the check in station. I have never had the thought to save or tan the scrotum sack. Do you do that with all species you hunt, give 'em to the kids for marble holders? Just curious.

13-Jun-22
I ain’t braggin or complaining about having a tanned elk scrotum. lol

I just have something most don’t have ;)

13-Jun-22
Yes, I keep mine. 3 sets and counting....

13-Jun-22
Hey Brad, I hope you enjoyed some organic Rocky Mountain oysters while you were at it. ;-)

14-Jun-22
Most of the time I remember to take them, occasionally, I have forgotten over the years.

I had a gold pendant made, with a diamond embedded, for my Wife a couple years ago. The rest (that I haven't misplaced) are in a little organizer in the pantry.

14-Jun-22

Cape Buffalo scrotum shotgun shell carrier
Cape Buffalo scrotum shotgun shell carrier
Brad, good to see someone else that doesn’t like to waste good leather.

14-Jun-22
I take mine and try and use them for something unique.

Good luck, Robb

15-Jun-22

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Yes I have mine stored in some plastic waxie containers. Midwest ice fisherman will know what waxies are. I also write the year on the base of each ivory with a pencil.

I had a horse wrangler in New Mexico who packed out a bull for me ask me for my bull's scrotum. They make saddle horn covers out of them.

15-Jun-22

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Elk ivories have an interesting history with plains Indian tribes. Since they are the last thing to decompose on an elk carcass they were a symbol of long life, and we’re given to children. They were also hung on ceremonial dresses symbolizing status and stature within the tribe.

People who are into making or restoring Native American garments will pay big money for elk ivories.

I always save mine.

Matt

• Sitka Gear