cnelk 13-Jun-22
cptbs 13-Jun-22
butcherboy 13-Jun-22
fn 13-Jun-22
David A. 13-Jun-22
cptbs 13-Jun-22
fn 14-Jun-22
13-Jun-22
Due to arthitrus in my hands, I want to try a release using a d-loop. I only shoot bows in the 50# range. My question is, will most of the releases be strong enough to stand up to that draw weight. I know the compounds can be alot more poundage, but Im thinking about the hold weight at full draw over a period of time. Any sugesstions appreciated. Thanks

13-Jun-22
Yes, you won’t have any trouble with the draw weight. I have messed with it a little and finding an anchor was my biggest problem.

13-Jun-22
If a release can handle the tension rolling over the cams at #70 or #80, I don’t see why there should be any concern holding at #50.

The mechanism can either hold the weight, or it can’t. The length of time would only be an issue if there were some components subject to metal fatigue.

13-Jun-22
As said, finding a comfortable anchor will be your biggest problem.

13-Jun-22
I use a Scott Lil Goose with my 55lb recurve. You’ll probably have to redefine your anchor point but it sure works good

13-Jun-22
I've used the Winn free flight right on the string. It would also work with a d loop. It feels like you are pulling less weight with this release.

13-Jun-22
If you have trouble finding an anchor then I would use some kind of nose button or small kisser button. It can be placed anywhere on your string. Above arrow or below. I think below would be great and allow you to get your arrow higher and closer to your eye.

13-Jun-22
I like the idea of the winn release. The one that is used on the d-loop.Does anyone know if there still in business? Ive tried there web site but cannot reach anyone. Thanks.

13-Jun-22
I haven't tested every mechanical release with recurves, but those I've tested incl. an older Winn release didn't work out well for me. You rarely see any one using them with trad bows and I'm sure many have tried. However, not saying no one uses them or that you won't find one that works for you. The problems I encountered was in finding an anchor position and worse, the overall feeling of using them especially with bows above 40#. - namely they always felt like a bomb about to go off not to mention I was worried I could bust my teeth (in testing, I would wear a mouth guard!). Very bad vibes.

I did invent several nonmechanical releases that I like much better and even better than glove or tab but I'm not selling them, although I might later on (not that I want the hassle, trust me). In my opinion they are more fun, feel better and are somewhat more accurate than glove or tab esp. with shorter bows. For me, it has been the best of all solutions and when I try glove or tab again, it's like "ugh, how did I ever enjoy them?

I think ultimately a mechanicsl release would be even more accurate, but the problems I mentioned killed my interest in them. Maybe you will find one you like, however. Good luck! Use a mouth guard initially!

13-Jun-22
Looks like Winn may not be making releases right now. Glad I got mine when I did. There are some on ebay.

14-Jun-22
Thanks to all for the help.

• Sitka Gear