DanaC 18-Jun-22
KSflatlander 18-Jun-22
Vaquero 45 19-Jun-22
deerhunter72 19-Jun-22
Shawn 21-Jun-22
M.Pauls 21-Jun-22
carcus 21-Jun-22
15-Jun-22
I'm looking at replacing a cheap generator and I'm leaning towards spending the extra money on a Honda. Looking at the model EG2800i. 2,800 starting watts with 2,500 output. It's Honda's economy line at the price of $1,200. I will use this on my annual fall deer hunting trip to run a camper and for limited home back up use. The major benefit to this particular model is it's smaller size and low weight. At 67 pounds I think my wife could move it and set it up if the power goes out and I'm not home. Also looking at the EG4000 at a price of $1,600. More watts and features but weighs around 150lbs. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these and also if people in general think that the Honda's are worth the price? I went cheap before and got cheap junk that lasted a while but was not reliable. Thanks

15-Jun-22
I have never owned a Honda but I have used them and they have been nothing but wonderful.

15-Jun-22
I don't have either of those but have the 2200. Starts first pull, quiet, light. Been very pleased with it. One plus to the 2200 if it is enough juice for you most of the time, if you ever need more you power you can link two of them together.

15-Jun-22
I have the EU 2200 and it’s been a great generator. Always starts. Never had an issue in the last 5 years or so.

15-Jun-22
I have two EU2000 that I can run parallel……they are bullet proof.

15-Jun-22
I used a 2000 for years. Easy to start and quiet. I included it when I sold my pop-up camper. I also have a 9375 converted to propane for my house back-up. The electric start recently quit (might just be the battery. I haven't had time to take it out), but it also starts easily within a couple of pulls. I wouldn't buy any other generator that I had to rely on.

15-Jun-22
I hate those generators in Camp....but at least the Honda is quiet.

I don't use it on hunts, but my EU2000 has been great for about 15 years now.

I use it on job sites and when we have our brownouts here in CA when they run out of Electric power.

15-Jun-22
I have two EU2000 that I can run parallel……they are bullet proof.

15-Jun-22
I have a Honda and a bargain one I got from Murdochs (can’t remember the brand). The Honda always fires right off and the other one can be a real pain in the ass to get started. Hondas are great!

15-Jun-22
I've got an EU2000i, thing is an engineering marvel.

15-Jun-22
I really like EU2200 as well. The ability to run 2 parallel is great but does double the price which is kind of why I like the 2800. Guess I could start with one 2200 and add another if I ever have the need. The portability of those things must be really nice. Appreciate all of the input so far!

15-Jun-22
Like others, I’ve spent the extra money on the EU 2000. One of the best investments I’ve ever made.

I was at the PGA tournament last month and they had two or three just hanging out running near every hole. Super quiet. They also had some propane models too, which was new to me.

15-Jun-22
I also have a EU2000i. We use it camping plus I have backfed the house several times in the event of a blackout. Just have to be aware of what circuits you have on.

15-Jun-22
Another Honda fan.

15-Jun-22
Buddy has the 2000 Honda - use it on our elk hunts to run the freezer about every other day or so, nice and quiet.

I have the Generac - can't notice any volume difference between it and the Honda and it runs like a dream also.

15-Jun-22
Have a very old Honda eu2000i and a Honda eu1000i. The little 1000i will run my 5 cf and 12 cf freezers. Really like the small size of the 1000i. Very quiet and light.

2000 will run my small microwave. 1000 won’t.

15-Jun-22
Another Honda eu2000 owner here. Picked it up at a pawn shop a few years ago for $600. Does what I need it to for my camper. For bigger stuff I have a Predator 4375/3500

16-Jun-22
Anyone here run a Champion dual-fuel inverter?

16-Jun-22
Ad me to Team Honda too.

Good luck, Robb

16-Jun-22
I also have a Honda 2000. They really are the standard for reliability. It'll power just about anything except for air conditioning, which requires two of them.

A quick tip to make them much more quiet in camp: Build a bottomless plywood box with one side open that will fit over the generator. The open side is the narrow side where the exhaust goes out from the back of the unit. It's only 3 pieces of plywood: Two rectangles that connect at a 2x4 to form a V. This sits on the ground. Then a triangle piece forms the roof. Point the triangle box/exhaust away from camp and it directs a significant percentage of the noise that the generator makes, away from camp.

When you store it, drain the gasoline out of it. And buy the different air jets for the carburetor. It's really easy to change out once you've done it. For the 2000, there's one for high, mid, and low elevation and it really makes a difference. Once you've changed it out once, and there are instructions on the internet step-by-step how to do it, it's a snap to do it again.

16-Jun-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Get one large enough to charge your soon to be mandated Electric vehicle.

16-Jun-22
I have the EU3000 and have used it for the last 20 plus years out west in camp, to build my house and everything in between. I have also used the 2000 that both my brother and father in law have. I will lug my 3000 over the 2000 anyday. The 2000 uses way more fuel and makes way more noise the second you put a load on it. Easy to move yes but have a noise block and gas can at the ready. As far as quality you cant go wrong with the honda all 3 in the family have been flawless.

16-Jun-22
DanaC, I have a Champion dual fuel generator though not an inverter. I love the fact that I don't have to haul gasoline around to use it. It has always started right up and I have had zero problems. Were I to buy again it would definitely be an inverter. The decibel level of mine is pretty obnoxious.

16-Jun-22
I bought 2 EU2200 hondas in 2018 along with the parallel kit. Been very pleased with them. I like that the wife can start them if I'm not around.

16-Jun-22
Hondas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just sold one I bought 30 years ago,,,,, for the same price I paid for it new,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, yeah they are that good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

16-Jun-22
I have never owned a Honda generator. But, I’ve been along on a lot of hunts that my buddies who owned them. They are ‘da bomb.

However, I did buy a predator 3500 generator about 5 months ago. I was remodeling a house that had no power. I bought it because my 10,000 watt generator was simply to loud to use exclusively.

So far I’ve run about 20 tanks of gas through it. And, I couldn’t be happier. Will it last as long as a Honda? I doubt it. But, if you are being honest, ask yourself how many tanks full of gas you have run through your Hondas. I’m betting unless you use it a bunch. It ain’t enough to declare the Hondas are far superior based on that reality.

I’m a frugal guy on certain things. I’m also a guy that’ll spend more money then reasonable to most people, for something I want. So, I’m not Jed by price. I’m led by performance. And, after seeing the predator in action for years with flawless performance, I decided I didn’t need the Honda as bad as I needed a generator that’s whisker guilt and dependable. For a third less.

Just something to consider.

16-Jun-22
I appreciate everyone's input! I asked for advice because I'm like WV Mountaineer, normally frugal but also willing to spend more for a better product. Having wasted money once on a cheapo, I don't really want to do that again. Still, it's hard to justify paying double the price. After everyone's very positive experience with the smaller units, I'm really thinking about the EU2200i. I think it will do about 90% of what I need. I really was thinking that I needed something in the 2,500 watt range, but in reality I could get by with less.

I actually have owned a Honda generator once before. I bought a late 80's 4,000 watt super heavy open frame from a lady I used to work with. She wanted $400 for it and I asked my electrician neighbor about it and he said to "buy it no matter what condition it's in and I'll pay for half". So I did that and he kept it in his barn and we had it for a couple years. It was loud but always started and ran well. He took it some guy he knew for service and basically the guy never gave it back. Always claimed he was waiting on parts and eventually gave my neighbor a "loaner" Powermate to use. I didn't know the guy or even where he lived and my neighbor just wanted to let it go so that's what we did. Water under the bridge...

18-Jun-22
Like above, I bought two of the 2000/2200. One is enough for winter, parallel them to run AC in 5th wheel for hot weather. Not worried about a back injury handling them, either.

18-Jun-22
The predators are good as WV stated. We use Hondas at work and they kick ass…never a problem.

18-Jun-22
I bought a predator 6500 to backfeed my electical panel at home. I live in a very rural area with no cell reception so when the power goes out I have no phone, no well, no heat. We lost power for 40 hrs this past week and it ran like a champ, running my whole home. Got about 13hrs run time on a tank of gas, Its a little loud if your outside but just a minor hum inside the house. Very please with it for the price tag. I am sure this is not what you are looking for but just thought I would comment. I used hondas at work for 20 some years and they are hands down the best IMO,

18-Jun-22
Just finished rewiring our cabin’s breaker panel from 8 gauge to 6 gauge wire today. Just purchased a 9500 watt generator from Costco, brand I never heard of, lol.

It has a 50 amp outlet, the 30 amp 6500 watt generator would trip if we ran both A/Cs, (a 14k and 12k BTU) the small fridge and microwave at the same time. Small, one room 640 sf cabin, well insulated.

The generator would trip, not the breakers. I wired the wall receptacles on 2 separate 20 amp 12 gauge lines to avoid overloads. I guess the generator was the weak link? Hopeful 50 amps and a couple thousand more watts will do the trick.

The generator runs in the barn 20’ behind the cabin, and I insulated the wall facing the cabin for sound proofing. Still cheaper than a Honda, lol.

Good luck!

18-Jun-22
Frank, it takes you 26000 btu's to cool a 'one room, 640 sf cabin' ? Dang!

18-Jun-22
We like it at 64 degrees, and a lot of going in and out. It sits in full sun, metal building. The shade trees we planted years ago are starting to get tall enough to help. And the microwave is an air cooker/convection oven all in one and it heats the place some as well.

18-Jun-22
And the A/Cs are the floor units with the window outlet, they are not nearly as efficient.

18-Jun-22
“Anyone here run a Champion dual-fuel inverter?“

I have a Champion dual fuel to run my camper. Works great and love the electric start. It is as quiet as the Honda too. Champion makes one now with a remote start. Wish I had that feature.

18-Jun-22
Yes, that is my back-up Ryan. The new one I bought is tri-fuel. But, as you know you lose power with both propane and natural gas.

19-Jun-22
Honda great units no doubt , had a new EF2400ISHC Yamaha fantastic unit also . I have owned a John Deere branded 8000 peak run Subaru powered genny for like almost 15 years excellent unit , never given me a lick of trouble . I sure wish Subaru was still in the generator game .

19-Jun-22
Thanks for the additional input. I’ve been checking out the Champions as well, seem to have a good reputation. I’m still debating but I’m pretty sure I’ll go with a Honda.

21-Jun-22
WEN, great generators. Yamaha engine I believe. Every bit as good as Honda and quite a bit cheaper. Shawn

21-Jun-22
Who let Rick into the PGA?

21-Jun-22
I have a Honda eu3000i, I've had it for probably 15 years, it's been trouble free

• Sitka Gear