Zebrakiller 17-Jun-22
x-man 17-Jun-22
Cheesehead Mike 17-Jun-22
Beaneater 18-Jun-22
JohnMC 18-Jun-22
Buffalo1 18-Jun-22
TD 18-Jun-22
16-Jun-22
Does anyone refletch arrows or do you just buy new ones. Shafts are in good shape, but the fletching is beat up. What's the best way to prepare them? Thanks for the info and opinions.

16-Jun-22
Easy to do,why not just buy a jig and related tools,very inexpensive.If you do any amount of shooting you need to refletch.Been doing my own for 40 years.

16-Jun-22
What wildan2 said, including the 40 years.

16-Jun-22
None of us buy new arrows simply because the fletch is beat up. Even if you don’t know how, your shop could refletch shafts for you.

I would imagine YouTube would be better than reading it here for learning how. I don’t know any specific fletching videos, but somebody will chime in and add a link.

16-Jun-22
Bought my Bitzenberger fletching tool in 1975....still fletching arrows just fine today...from woodies to aluminum to 4mm carbon shafts.

16-Jun-22
I just bought a set of Bitzenbergers (6), all fastened down on board, for 125.00....... Part of the fun of archery, I like to fletch my own

16-Jun-22
I always keep feathers on hand. No sense in wasting a good shaft. Reflecting is the way to go

16-Jun-22
I’m sure I’m in the vast minority here, but I don’t. I’m not good at it and don’t have time or patience. I have a pile of “I’ll get to them someday” arrows, but honestly I lose or break them before I wear them out.

Don’t got me wrong,‘I’ll put a dab of glue on a loose vane here or there, but no interest in actually fletching arrows.

—jim

16-Jun-22
I fletch and re-fletch all of my arrows. I enjoy doing it and it is relaxing to me with some good music on. I also appreciate that it isn't for everyone. I used to not have the patience for it. Things change.

16-Jun-22
Like others, I fletch and refletch my own. I use 3 Bitzenberger jigs, simple to do. On carbons I clean the shafts with a solvent and have had zero problems.

FYI, a few friends come over and use my barn to borrow the jigs, that is how simple it is.

Good luck!

16-Jun-22
I don’t like doing it but it is fairly easy. I like doing it more than spending money I don’t need too.

If you shoot groups or 3D you are going to ruin a lot of fletchings.

16-Jun-22

JohnMC's Link
Short video showing how easy it is. Some longer one if you want more detail.

Maybe the most important step if reflecting is getting old glue off shaft. I just use pocket knife at a angle running over old glue quickly until it is all off. I usually then wipe off shaft with rubbing alcohol. Last don’t try to replace just one vane it rarely works out for me.

16-Jun-22
Definitely refletch.

16-Jun-22
Do you change your oil or just buy a new truck ?

16-Jun-22

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
It ain't rocket surgery. Scrape off he old fletches. Prep the shaft, glue on new ones.

I started ages ago when a local 'pro' shop did a crappy job and all the feathers fell off. Twice! The jig will pay for itself in a few years.

Bitzenburg is a premium jig but I made a lot of useful arrows with a cheap AAE Fletch 3.

16-Jun-22

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
Go for it.. Most enjoy the fact they can fletch with the feathers/Vanes & colors they want.. I've built arrows over 6 decades now & still build/repair my own & 8 family members. I ust enjoy it.. Got some on the table right now.

16-Jun-22
Dana, they don't make the Arizona jig any longer do they?

16-Jun-22
Buy a Bitzenburger and fletch them up. They will be better than factory. Get someone to show you how on the first batch.

16-Jun-22
I bought my first dozen carbon arrows in 2007 after many years of shooting aluminum. I still have most of those original carbons and shoot them. When they need new fletching, I fletch them up. I think they've each probably been refletched 3 or 4 times. I just use a cheap Bohning red knock-off fletcher.

16-Jun-22
What bou’bound said.

16-Jun-22
bou bound x 3. Sorry. I hate to be a wise guy but, are you seriously considering throwing away arrow shafts instead of reflecting them?

16-Jun-22

DanaC's Link
"Dana, they don't make the Arizona jig any longer do they? "

Yeah, they do. Lancaster lists them.

16-Jun-22
DanaC, I think I was thinkin of the JoJan jig

16-Jun-22
Pretty sure those are no longer made. Might put a watch on e-bay.

16-Jun-22
I have a Bitz and 2 Grayling's. Might try the Arizona jig

16-Jun-22

Zebrakiller's Link
These things are unreal

16-Jun-22
I just ordered some of these to try. Even Jtreeman would be a fletching wizard with these things…

17-Jun-22
kota man I was skeptical but put some on and shoot 70 yard groups with np

17-Jun-22
I'll probably sell my setup one of these days. I used to sell hundreds of dozens of custom fletched arrows each year. I haven't used my 6-place JoJan for ten years now. Same with my rotating Bitz table that had 8 Bitz jigs.

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

17-Jun-22
Fletch all my own. Been using a Jojan for decades. I have left helical, right helical and straight clamps for it.

18-Jun-22
Anyone had any problems with the carbon shafts splintering or breaking. I do fletch my own arrows just no carbon ones.

18-Jun-22
Carbon arrows should not splinter or break unless they got damaged, usually by either getting hit with another arrow or something they hit. Nothing you would do refletching should cause damage to them. However if you are shooting group or 3D with others and you hear arrow on arrow contact always check them close and twist. If you have ever seen a picture of a arrow break and go throw a hand you will not want that happening to you.

18-Jun-22
Been building arrows and refletching for about 45 years.

18-Jun-22
I have 3 bitz jigs and helical and straight clamps for each but last few years only use one. The new CA glues (superglues) make waiting for glue to set up on one jig while you glue the next a thing of the past. My favorite is superglue ultra control gel. Use some zing on the fletch base and you have to use pliers to pull them off, normally the wrap tears first.

I like the AZ fletchers too, they had one for blazer style with a decent helical as well as the full length vanes and feathers with helical. Used to carry one in my travel kit. Now I just carry enough arras to cover everything but a zombie apocalypse....

• Sitka Gear