CAMPDAVID 16-Jun-22
APauls 16-Jun-22
GhostBird 16-Jun-22
GhostBird 16-Jun-22
Catscratch 16-Jun-22
Stressless 22-Jun-22
drycreek 22-Jun-22
16-Jun-22
Which clover plot do you think would be better for hunting?

One that is weed and grass free that looks like it should be in a magazine....or one that has 50% less clover( still enough to feed the herd) but has tall grasses in it that provides some degree of security.

16-Jun-22
Depends on your needs. Either one could be right. If you're short on food and high on deer you're going to want tonnage. If you're high on deer and short on cover you might want security.

If a person is honest I highly doubt a weedy clover field is ever the answer. Determine what you need and plant that. Not half of something. If you're short cover, create cover. If you're short food, create food. If a weedy field is the best you can do with your circumstances so be it and go with that.

16-Jun-22
It all depends on the area. I plant several small clover foodplots, each an acre or less, and never spray herbicides, as most plots are actually clover/chicory mix. Yes, they get grasses & weeds in them, but I keep them mowed (or try to) before the grass seeds. I don't need tonnage, lots of natural browse along with plenty of soybeans & corn in the area and low deer density. I just need to provide something different & tasty. I think you would have to be awful "grassy/weedy" to provide any decent amount of cover.

16-Jun-22
Another thought... clover plots can be like women... under the right conditions, sometimes an ugly one can perform equal to a beauty with a lot less maintenance.

Just sayin'.

16-Jun-22
I don't like a lot of grasses in my clover plots so I over seed them with cereals every fall to soak up excess nitrogen. Broadleaf weeds on the other hand get a pass for the most part. Many native broadleafs are actually preferred and high in nutrients, not to mention the soil benefits they provide.

22-Jun-22
Got'ta keep'em separated ...

Grass (Big Rock Switchgrass) on the left - full legumes in the plot. Don't let weeds that have zero pull or nutrition past Oct in your plots.

IMG-0420

22-Jun-22
I always tried really hard for a beautiful clover plot, and that’s what I had……for about 6/7 months of the year. It’s just a hard fact that in Texas your clover ain’t gonna do well July thru September. It will start to flourish again around the last of September then go to hell again from December until March or so. When it’s good, it’s great, but when it gets hot or cold it gets ugly in a hurry.

• Sitka Gear