karaRobert 05-Nov-23
tradi-doerr 05-Nov-23
PECO2 06-Nov-23
Schwammerl 06-Nov-23
Shuteye 08-Nov-23
WV Mountaineer 08-Nov-23
Grunt-N-Gobble 08-Nov-23
16-Jun-22
I'm looking for a decent woodstove for my 13' Bell Regatta wall tent. I've searched & searched for the right one & even ordered one that was a joke. Anyone here have any recommendations that I haven't thought of yet? Thanks!

ElkNut

17-Jun-22
I just got a camp chef alpine stove and it is built like a tank and priced well compared to other brands.

17-Jun-22
I always used a Cylinder Stove over the years Paul.

Good luck, Robb

17-Jun-22
Camp Chef Alpine. Great stove, great price.

17-Jun-22
I use the cylinder wood stove from Davis tents.

17-Jun-22
I have a friend who is a welder and he made me one to my specifications. I love it.

If that isn't an option check out Four Dog stoves?

They have a few different ones to choose from. Very well made.

17-Jun-22
Four dogs x 2. I have the three dogs model works great.

17-Jun-22
Hey guys thanks! I had looked one of these over. I will definitely check these others out. I've had several over the years but was just looking for something under 50# but still take 15"-16" length wood.

It's only use would be for basecamp. I did look for the Four Dog Stoves but cannot seem to locate their website?

ElkNut

17-Jun-22
Colorado Cylinder Stove for me.

17-Jun-22
Pretty easy. You come to BC in September and call in a bull for me and you take my custom built stove back with you.

17-Jun-22
Ambush, that must be one heck of a woodstove you've got there! (grin)

ElkNut

17-Jun-22
Cylinder stove, water tank and warming tray.. Love it

17-Jun-22
I’ve had a cylinder stove for about 18 years, it’s a little rusty but still going strong.

18-Jun-22
Some of those cylinder stoves for less than $100 work really well.

18-Jun-22
Thank you for your input!

I put the new Regatta tent up last night to get a good look at its size, it's plenty big enough for sure (13') but also found out it doesn't have that box size, the sides are nothing like our wall tents so less air to heat. Man am I glad I put it up prior to purchasing a cylinder stove, that thing would have burned me out of there! (big grin)

After seeing it up I decided on The Tigris Stove, its size looks perfect with great reviews! Thanks again for the help!

ElkNut

18-Jun-22
I have a 14'X14' tent of similar shape (Eena TT) . My stove is built from propane bottles, so 13" diameter and 26" length with a cooking shelf on top and proper baffles inside. With a damper in the flue and the intake air regulated, I can get a seven hour burn and decent coals for another hour. It easily heats my canvass tent below 0 F.

You might be hard pressed to find a stove small enough for your tent that will burn more than a few hours. Propane is wet heat. If I was you, I'd very seriously consider a diesel heater. Tons of options these days. And diesel heat is dry heat which is a huge advantage at a fall hunting camp.

18-Jun-22
Thanks guys. This tent will be easy to heat. I am used to woodstove heat in all the tents I've used & do like it! However, I have considered a Buddy Heater. I don't hunt generally in snowy weather for the most part so for ones using a propane heater do you find condensation an issue? Thanks!

ElkNut

18-Jun-22
I’ve used propane and wood stoves in my wall tents - with snow and no snow.

Propane doesn’t condensate in a conventional wall tent much. It’s easy and quick.

Wood stoves are real nice but require a lot more work cutting wood, kindling and having to keep stoking.

I’ve used my Mr Heater in my wall tent hunting mid November when night temps are zero or below. A 20lb tank will run about 40hrs on low setting. Plus you can cook on the same heater.

As far as wood stoves, I build my own. Easy peasy if you are handy.

18-Jun-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I built this little wood stove out of an old propane tank

18-Jun-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

18-Jun-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

18-Jun-22
I used to have a .50 cal ammo can. Took it to a muffler shop and had a guy cut a hole and attach a couple inches of pipe.

Attached some steel legs, made a door, and used some braided Fiberglass as a gasket. Expanded steel mesh to allow air in under the fuel. Worked great.

If I were going to do it again, though… I would definitely go with 4 inch pipe, and I would have the pipe lead out the back instead of up through the lid, because that cost me some cooking surface. It was a bit inconvenient to not be able to fit the cast-iron pot/pan and the cowboy percolator on the stove at the same time. Because what kind of a person eats their eggs without a hot cup of coffee?

19-Jun-22
Very cool! I really like that old propane tank idea as a back up. Nice job!

ElkNut

19-Jun-22
Is the person who cut your propane tank still alive? How do you do that safely? Empty and drill a hole?

19-Jun-22

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
^^^ I use propane tanks for a few different projects, including stoves. Just run them dry, screw out the valve and use a garden hose to fill it. Empty the water and done.

19-Jun-22
"Is the person who cut your propane tank still alive? How do you do that safely? Empty and drill a hole?"

Like I mentioned above, if you're not handy or wise, building a wood stove from a propane tank probably isnt for you.

19-Jun-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
This is my main wall tent wood stove. I made it out of 16ga metal and welded it together.

It will handle bigger 16” logs. I took it to Wyoming a few years ago and for 5 days straight the fire was always going.

Tip: with a 3” or 4” stove pipe, be sure to clean the soot after 4-5 days of use

20-Jun-22
Have a Camp Chef for my spike camp. It’s just ok. I’ve used ones from the Wall Tent Shop. I love his tents but not his stoves. My tried and true are Cylinder Stoves out of Utah. I’ve had every size. The Outfitter is hands down the best. Hunter is too small to make it through the night and seems to need to much air to keep simmering. I have a Yukon now but for some reason it just isn’t as efficient. I’ve used probably half a dozen other brands over the years but the Cylinder Stoves Outfitter has proven to be a great all around stove for me.

05-Nov-23
I've been using the POMOLY Fold X tent stoves for a few years now, and I love it! It's the perfect size and it heats it up quickly and easily. It's also very efficient, so I don't have to use a lot of wood. The POMOLY is also very well-built and durable, and it's easy to set up and use.

05-Nov-23

tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
Colorado cylinder stove, has worked great for years. Now I use a propane forced air furnace, no more cutting firewood unless absolutely necessary.

06-Nov-23
What about a Rocket stove?

06-Nov-23
This Denver company sells a great stove: https://www.davistent.com/product-category/camp-stoves-accessories/

08-Nov-23
IF you lived near Dover Delaware you could go the the Amish store. They make the best wood stoves. They do it right there and have been making wood stoves longer than you have been alive.

08-Nov-23
For your tent size, a 3 dog stove would be adequate plus hot.

08-Nov-23
Since this topic resurfaced, I have acquired a 10x14 Kodiak Flexbow tent, and the original owner installed a stove jack through the side wall. I'm considering getting a wood stove for it but don't want one too small or one too big. Any suggestions?

• Sitka Gear