WV Mountaineer 07-Jul-22
fubar racin 07-Jul-22
wytex 07-Jul-22
WV Mountaineer 07-Jul-22
jordanathome 07-Jul-22
Quinn @work 07-Jul-22
jordanathome 08-Jul-22
21-Jun-22
So spur of the moment I decided to pack up my 9 year old daughter and head out to the Snowy Range in WY to camp for a couple days and ATV around over the coming holiday. I've been through there on highway 130, but that's about all I know about the area. Reason I picked it is it is a couple hours closer than most other mountain areas I could get to. I would love to go the Bighorns, but that adds about 5 hours to my drive.

Anyone spent time in the Snowy range? Plenty of roads to be on with the ATV? Good scenery? What did the last fires do? Is there a lot of burned area from the last fires? Creeks to play in and throw rocks? Easy to find a shady spot to throw up a tent?

Any input would be great. This will be the first camping trip for my daughter. And I may have a buddy come along with his machine and a daughter or three as well

21-Jun-22
Stop an get your atv sticker in Laramie. Stop again at Bear Bottom grill and bar in Centennial, kids ok, for a pizza or other meal.

Lots of spots to camp, still some snow up higher. We have rain forecast for weekends, scattered thunder storms, take precautions for those. Should be nice and green up there. There will be plenty of folks out and about for the holiday, be careful on the roads with your atvs. Everyone in the town of Centennial shoots off fireworks for the 4th, go someplace to look down over the town and valley and watch. Sand Lake Rd has good areas for camping, off of Fallen Pines Rd too off Sand Lake. Ehlin Rd, 1st left out of Centennial, has a narrow spot that makes meeting vehicles a pucker. The road gets very rough too later. Maybe go up from Albany and you have the lodge there for another meal option, the manager is a friend. Take Highway 11 up to the NF. You can get to Rob Roy Res that way. Keystone is a neat little mountain community of cabins up that way. Old fire tower you can climb if not rented out, Spruce Mtn lookout. Over on Saratoga side go in at Brush Cr or take FS rd 100 towards Kennaday Peak and great areas to camp. Saratoga has a free hot spring soaking pool too, it's hot.

21-Jun-22
Bake - when you get to Laramie, stop at the West Laramie Fly Store [ you'll have to stop and get your atv registration anyway] they are really helpful and will point you in the right direction.

Or swing into the Wyo Game & Fish [its just south of the West Laramie Fly Store] and get your atv registration and they will also be helpful.

Most of the southern half of the Snowies burned so you might want to stay north of there. But there are sooooo many places to go, I cant even begin to tell ya

21-Jun-22
Yep, there are most definitely plenty of roads and nice scenery for your atv. You can access the southern end of the Snowies from highway 230 and the northern end from 130. Take the Snowy Range exit in Laramie and turn left. You'll see the route split in approx 1 mile before you leave town. I spend most my time in the northern end. As you head west, you'll see Sheep Mountain on your left. Maybe 5 mi before Centennial is a highway (I believe it's 11) and a sign that says Albany. Turn left at the T and you'll travel along the base of Sheep Mountain on your left and the Snowies will be on your right. Follow the paved road to Albany, where the road turns to gravel. Follow the signs to Lake Owen and Rob Roy Reservoirs. There are lots of small creeks and roads/trails, as well as camping spots. You can take the road from Rob Roy down through French Creek and on to where it comes into 130 on the west side of the range.

If you stay on 130, once you get past Centennial, there are roads taking off both sides all the way across the range. The top of the range is beautiful, with Medicine Bow Peak, Sugarloaf, Lake Marie, etc. Make sure to stop off at the Libby Flats observation point just before you crest the top. It has an observation deck where you can look down across the Snowies, the Saratoga Valley, and over to Blackhall Mountain and the Sierra Madres, as well as several peaks in Colorado.

Just like the other side, there are numerous roads/trails, creeks, lakes, and camping areas. On the north side of 130 just before you start hitting the flats is County Rd 100. If you turn north, in approx 8-9 miles is the road to the top of Kennaday Peak and the old fire tower. The view is amazing once you break treeline.

A trip into Saratoga is always worthwhile. Hit the Hobo pool and hot springs. It sits right along the river, so the kids can wade and play in the North Platte. Just north of the river, on Bridge Street, is Duke's Bar & Grill. They have some really good mexican food, and their green chili fries are to die for!

The big fire from two years ago stayed south of 130. LOTS of timber was burned, but even last year, grasses and flowers were starting to come back. Although a lot was burned, there were areas that escaped the fire's wrath. If you stay on the main county roads you should be fine, but if you go on any side road/trail I would highly recommend having a chain saw with you. That goes for anywhere in the Snowies or Madres.

The only thing you'll need is an ORV sticker and helmets for the kids. Just make sure you stay on roads/trails that are designated ORV. Pick up a Medicine Bow ORV Trail Map when you get your sticker. In addition to showing all the ORV roads/trails, it lists rules and regulations. Have fun!

EDIT: Guess I got a little long-winded while the others were posting. Ha! Between the three of us, you should have plenty to do and see over the weekend;-)

21-Jun-22
Just the kind of stuff I needed. Thank you all!!!

21-Jun-22
If you go up to Lake Marie, you may be able to have a snowball fight in the parking lot, even on July 4th! We did that more than once! Also having to clean snow off the windshield after leaving the Buckhorn at 1AM in the middle of summer.

I DO miss it.......

22-Jun-22
Have fun, travel safe and Share lots of Pix!!

Good luck, Robb

22-Jun-22
Sounds like fun, Bake. Hope your daughter gets hooked on the outdoors!

22-Jun-22
Another "family" memory maker for sure - as Robb said - LOTS of pics please. Might even consider taking "her best friend" from school. Will make it even more memorable for her (HA and you of course,,,,, dealing with couple 9 year old girls)

22-Jun-22
Bake, keep your eyes open for moose I have a cow moose tag for that area will be bow hunting this fall. Have a safe trip. John C.

22-Jun-22
It’s definitely possible to see moose along any of the roads/trails in the Snowies. There’s a spot right along 130 where you’ll see them in the willows by the creek anytime of day, especially mornings and evenings. Your biggest challenge will be finding a cow without a calf by her side.

22-Jun-22
That would be cool to see moose! Never even thought of that.

She's an outdoor girl for sure. I hope it sticks, but who knows. As it is, the first thing she does most evenings is let her dogs out, jump in the Ranger with her BB gun, and off to find something to shoot at or capture at the pond or along our little drainage creek. She shot her first turkey this spring, and her first deer last fall.

I've hunted out in Wyoming farther west than the Snowy Range, and up in the Bighorns. She's been wanting to go camping, so we just decided to take off next weekend. We'll have low expectations. We're taking one lab, a UTV, and we'll just take it as it comes. Throw up a tent and a really simple camp. Throw rocks and wade creeks. Drive around. We'll bring her BB gun and plink for sure.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

22-Jun-22
Bake, I have no input on the area, but sounds like a fun time and most importantly, you're making memories with your daughter. You hear it over and over, they grow up quick. Safe travels to you both and have a great time.

22-Jun-22
I love the area can’t really go wrong with anywhere I like brush creek and Turpin res area saw a couple hundred head of elk last Saturday

22-Jun-22
It may rain, be prepared for that. Otherwise should be cooler. Some supplies in Centennial and on other side at Ryan Park on 130. West Laramie Fly Store is the stop for fishing licenses and advice. Fuel can be bought at several spots near it for trailers and such, their gas pumps are tight for trailers. Snowy Range Exit off of I-80 west side of town, just a short jump around on I-80 from say 287 if coming up from Ft Collins.

Forest should be green and fairly moist right now. Campfires should be good. If you stay at a campground you will have to take bear precautions with your food.

23-Jun-22
Bake I was lucky enough to hunt the snowys for moose two years ago. Certainly a special place. Was there 12 days, so I am no expert on the area. The advice on here seems spot on from my experience. I second taking a small chainsaw though. We used it on a few days to clear trees off the roads. Have fun!

23-Jun-22
Those pesky deadfalls

23-Jun-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

23-Jun-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

23-Jun-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

23-Jun-22
Gonna take a chainsaw the next time that I am in that country as much as I hate to mix gas and bowhunting.

23-Jun-22
I don't mean to hijack the thread. The Snowies are a fantastic place. However, I do have a bone of contention with cnelk. Why didn't you finish the job of cutting out the rest of the deadfall instead of just cutting a hole big enough to get your ATV through? It looks like you are on a road for full size vehicles. So, now someone else will have to stop and finish the job of cutting the rest of the trees just to get through. Secondly, have you ever thought about winter time and somebody on a snowmobile were to hit those trees you left hanging? Please, think of others users and not just yourself. So far this summer, my wife and I and other friends have cut out over 400 trees off of Forest Service ATV trails and jeep roads so I do believe I know what I'm talking about.

23-Jun-22
There's a whole Forest Service Road crew who are paid by taxpayers to clear roads. So there is no need to cut more than necessary to get through. It's ludicrous to expect a private citizen in September to prepare Forest Service roads for snowmobilers.

23-Jun-22
If ya don’t like what cnelk did, you darn sure wouldn’t like how much I cut!

23-Jun-22
In both cases you are either selfish or lazy. I guess I take a different view of my public lands than most people.

23-Jun-22
I guess you do take a different view. You can certainly continue to provide road maintenance to your heart’s content if that’s what trips your trigger.

However, when I travel roads/trails on my atv I’m either hunting or preparing for hunting season. The last thing I’m going to do is open up trails as an open invitation for every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a big quad, side by side, or truck so they can come crash the party. If that makes me selfish or lazy, I can live with that. And BTW, you did mean to hijack the thread.

23-Jun-22
Uh, back to the original post guys... Bake have fun, stay safe, send pics!

23-Jun-22

jordanathome's embedded Photo
I don't know nuttin about that area.........

24-Jun-22
I take my Ryobi eChainsaw with me !

Good job Brad,

Robb

24-Jun-22
Sounds like a great time! Be safe and enjoy the time with your daughter in the great outdoors.

02-Jul-22

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
We ran to town for some lunch. We’re having a ball. Thanks again for all the tips!

02-Jul-22

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo

02-Jul-22

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo

02-Jul-22
Looks like you’re all having a great time. Glad ya found a moose!

02-Jul-22
Sorry we didn't get a chance to catch up this trip. The burger at Bear Bottom was damn good.

02-Jul-22
Nice touch taking the Labrador with you !!

03-Jul-22
Glad you're making memories, buddy! Good dad!

I cut out enough to fit my ebike, if I can't lift it over or go around. Love electric chainsaws. If USFS doesn't care enough about a route to maintain it, then it isn't my job either.

03-Jul-22
Fun times right there!

Enjoy,

Robb

03-Jul-22
Hope you're enjoying the stay. Jubliee Days started in Laramie, going to be bull riding and rodeos later in the week. Street dances downtown too for the coming weekend.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your food Jordan, owners are friends of ours.

03-Jul-22

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo

03-Jul-22

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Sadly. We’re headed home. It was my daughters first camping trip. First solo trip with me too. Usually we stick with mom pretty close but she had to work this weekend.

She got into the fishing and caught 17 Brookies and had a ball.

I think we’ll make this a yearly tradition.

04-Jul-22
Go as many times as ya can because they grow up so dang fast!

Good luck, Robb

04-Jul-22
You're a good dad, Bake.

04-Jul-22
Neat trip Bake! Your daughter will never forget it. And neither will you. Thanks for sharing. I drive through the Snowies several times a year but never spent time exploring. May have to now.

04-Jul-22
It’s been 30 years since I’ve encountered a government worker that actually did any work that required physical labor. They get the jobs they get because the taxazation on the body over a career, isn’t a variable anymore. That, and they have no responsibility to anything except the protocol that women have written as their job description. I’ve got zero problems with women doing jobs men used to do. As long as they can do the job.

The USFS, has went out of its way to hire women in roles that traditionally were done by men. When you proportionally hire management only capable people, the labor roles get passed by. And it’s all defendable. Because there is no one to do it.

Anyways, I’m glad you and your girl are having fun. Great idea and effort Bake!

04-Jul-22
That’s one hell of a broad brush wv……

04-Jul-22
fubar X10

04-Jul-22
Yep. It is. Covers it pretty nicely too. Firefighters and a select few excluded.

04-Jul-22
Once again someone takes feel good thread and ruins it.

Hope you and the daughter enjoyed the trip. Next time pick a weekend other than a holiday and you'll find fewer folks in the mountains. Safe travels !

04-Jul-22
Nice trip Bake. Thanks for sharing the photos too. Your daughter is a lucky girl.

Happy 4th of July WV...........from a former male Forest Service Employee who did TSI (physical labor) and fought many Forest Fires (physical labor). I also worked right along side MANY hard working women Forest Service employees and wild land firefighters.

You seem like a blast to hang out with but please go back to your political threads to spread your wisdom.

05-Jul-22
Amen Wytex....and thanks for the recommendation to the Bear Bottom...damn good burger and fun bunch of locals.

I was very impressed with the hard work the FS workers in the snowy range did in the past two weeks clearing out fallen timber from not just main roads but even side roads that have not been closed. Lazy and unwilling to do physical labor is a unfair and untrue stereotype, in my experience and my opinion. You can have your own, obviously. But maybe yours's sux......

05-Jul-22
jordan I bet there were some interesting folks there, lol. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. The pizza is pretty good too. Been wondering if the monsoon rains have hit that part of the forest, our lot in 11 was pretty dry looking this weekend. Lots of moose tracks though.

05-Jul-22
It was wet everywhere but I didn't get rained on running up Sand Lake road then over to Crater Lake trailhead and on to FS 105 then out to Arlington. One HUGE snowbank blocking road 1/2 way to sand lake off the main road. Had to be 6' deep and 40' wide by god knows how long down to the lake. Deep Creek campground was soaking wet. Lots of tracks showing easily in the sopping wet ground in the places I got out to walk around. Almost all of the snow from 2 weeks ago had vanished like the deadfall over the roads........maybe it was forest fairies and USFS workers really did nothing. :rolleyes:

05-Jul-22
Love that area, looks like many memories were made!!!

06-Jul-22
You 2 make it home Blane?

Good luck, Robb

06-Jul-22
We made it home to the real world. Unfortunately. Traffic wasn't terrible down I-80 until real close to Lincoln, NE.

Back to real life. My daughter's rec team softball won their small league championship last night. Reese had a good hit and RBI to break a tie and send them to the championship game. So that was fun. Then pitched two innings in the championship game and got two strikeouts and a throw out to first. So that was fun as well

06-Jul-22
Good stuff, Bake! Sounds like your daughter had ALMOST as much fun as you did!

07-Jul-22
Painting all with a brush that should have only covered some only shows your ignorance sir.

07-Jul-22
This site is becoming home to people who look for reasons to be mad.

Does it matter that I’ve been there and done it? Does it matter that I graduated forestry school with 33 men and two women Both of whom now work for the usfs. In supervising roles. While the men are still technicians? Blah, blah, blah, etc…..

It does to me. But, more importantly, I don’t owe you or any one else an apology on this. A guy asked a question. And, I answered it as honestly as I know how.

I’m not knocking women. I’m not knocking government employees. I am telling you what I have witnessed change over the last 30 years in the usfs. Take an hour and Google search usfs extension offices. In a career field that graduates less then 10% women, the forest service has/is hiring women at a much higher rate. You can call me ignorant if you want but It’s not a new occurrence either. It’s been going on for decades in the forest service.

Bake, I’m sorry. You had a great thread. I apologize for ever saying that. Not because I’m wrong. But, because it didn’t belong here. To the rest of you piss babies, don’t hate the messenger. Read what I’ve said versus flying off mad.

07-Jul-22
Don’t be mad I’m just saying what Iv seen and know to be true wv

07-Jul-22
Dude, you ruined his thread with your BS. You're the one mad it seems, mad at females, not hard to see. You high jacked a good thread for your put downs. PIss babies now, what are you 12? This site is suppose to be a bow hunting site and yet here you are, talking BS . You'll fit right in on the 24HR campfire. By the way what question were you answering?

Which forestry school? I graduated from one about 37 years ago. We kicked butt at conclave and still do every year.

07-Jul-22
Mad? I don’t think so. Unwilling to let you or anyone else twist what I’m saying? 100%.

07-Jul-22
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

07-Jul-22
Piss Babies. LOL. :)

08-Jul-22

• Sitka Gear