txhunter58 22-Jun-22
jdmrock 22-Jun-22
Beendare 22-Jun-22
jdmrock 22-Jun-22
Drnaln 22-Jun-22
Birdman 23-Jun-22
Glunt@work 24-Jun-22
21-Jun-22
72 year old NR been waiting for a chance to hunt Colorado GMU 61 but after this years draw results, I might be getting too old to wait for 61 and GMU 76 probably too demanding, any ideas for me to think on for the next season would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

21-Jun-22
How many points you got?

21-Jun-22
Unit 40 private/guided. Borrow the money. It’s a once in a lifetime hunt

21-Jun-22

21-Jun-22
Thanks txhunter58, I'll check it out.

21-Jun-22
I would second txhunter’s advice! Go guided in 40 and have an elk hunt of your lifetime!

21-Jun-22
If you really want to hunt 61 I would think you've got a shot at it next year if not the year after for sure. Non residents at 25 2 did not draw, there are 23 people in the 24 point group. Total of 14 nonres tags this year so if you are in the 24 point group you should have a 14/24 or a little better than 50% of drawing next year. However if you were in the 23 point pool next year you are more likely 3-4 years out.

If you are willing to hire a guide a horse back in 76 would also be a cool hunt.

21-Jun-22
The country in 76 is beautiful. Some of the prettiest country in Colorado. With horses and wall tents, it would be a spectacular hunt. A ton of elk and a lot of fun during the rut. Top end bulls in there that you could expect are 320-330” with potentially bigger. A lot of 300” bulls. Average elevation where you will be hunting is around 10,500’.

Unit 40 can be a dream hunt with really good bulls on private with an outfitter. Different kind of country being lower and on a plateau. Aspen and sagebrush with pockets of pine. Top end bulls in 40 will be as good as you will find in Colorado. A 340-360 bull is not out of the question. The public land hunt is very different than hunting private though! Average elevation is around 7,500’.

Two very different kind of hunts… Both can be rewarding but need to understand what you are getting into.

21-Jun-22
It's too bad trying to hunt western states as come to this kind of bull shit. Sure glad i've done my share already.

22-Jun-22
If you got only 24 points AFTER this year's draw, ya you would not want to wait for 61 archery. If BEFORE, I'd wait.

22-Jun-22
Curious how a private land or guided hunt works in unit 40. Can you just pay to hunt a ranch but would it be enough acres. Or does a guide have access to multiple ranches. I would not enjoy getting locked into a ranch w/o knowing how much habitat it had and how hard it got hunted. Seems like there is some local knowledge involved in picking the right ranch.

22-Jun-22
I hunted both DIY public and DIY free range private. There is something to be said for knowing you can get into elk virtually every day. At 64 myself, every encounter is gold. So unit 40 (with true trophy potential) would be my first choice, but a guided 76 trip would be a fantastic hunt as well if you can ride horses and stand the altitude. I sure do love a timberline hunt!

Either way, if you want to use an outfitter, you should be contacting them now. In unit 40 they may be booked up thru next year already.

22-Jun-22
I'm thinking unit 40 is the way to go, probably 2023 season, any outfitter suggestions would be appreciated. Did some research already, some guided prices are really eye opening. I have hunted CO many times and only my first trip was guided, but that was a long time ago.

22-Jun-22
At 72 years old unit 76 will be a workout.

When I hunted it we were camped at 10,700 and hunting up to 12,000’.

22-Jun-22
I've hunted at those elevations and it definitely takes the life out of your legs and lungs !!

22-Jun-22
Back in 2020 I contacted a well known Outfitter in unit 40 for an archery elk hunt. He sent me a contract & other paperwork to sign & send the deposit for the hunt. The hunt was $7000 & I believe it was a 7 day hunt. I was surprised when the contract stated 2 hunters to 1 guide so that actually made it a 3 1/2 day hunt. I asked the Outfitter about a 1 on 1 hunt or a longer hunt & he told me take it or leave it! Not being a fan of really short archery hunts I didn't go hunting with him. I know he is booked for years but I still believe he wasn't right fit for me!

23-Jun-22
I think it's BS that someone needs to wait 24 years to hunt , maybe putting everyone into a draw would be better. Even better yet , more preference for being over 60.

24-Jun-22
No need to wait 24 years. You can get a point and hunt every year here in CO.

It does stink that the top units take so long. I bailed out of chasing the top 3 units, hunted 61 10 years ago and haven't saved points since.

• Sitka Gear