DEMO-Bowhunter 27-Jun-22
iceman 27-Jun-22
Capra 27-Jun-22
TREESTANDWOLF 27-Jun-22
TREESTANDWOLF 27-Jun-22
25-Jun-22

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
Anyone have experience with these type of cases for airline travel?

The additional pockets and lightweight offers are intriguing.

I’m wondering if they hold up to the brutal handlers at airports or should I just stick to my SKB?

This one caught my eye.

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thx in advance.

25-Jun-22
I have not tried or even seen one of those cases. It’s interesting. I’ve flown 8-10 times with my SKB with zero issues, so I’ll stick with it.

25-Jun-22
Several trips over the last few years with the Legend, most of the time 2 bows in it. No problems....so far

25-Jun-22
I use a Badlands Terraglide - 15-20 trips with it - I would never use anything else. I think Sitka makes a similar one as well. Made for a bow - pack your clothes around it, not oversized or bulky. It never gets diverted into over size luggage like the hard cases sometimes do.

25-Jun-22
I fly my bow in a golf case. But, I don't have sights, or anything else that can get jacked around on it. I pack hunting clothes, etc. all around it to pad it in.

Never a problem, so far, and it won't trigger an anti-hunter that might be working the airport!

25-Jun-22
You guys get extra insurance on your bows when traveling? They can get spendy.

25-Jun-22
I have an SKB case. Yes, my bow is well protected but I'm very limited as to how much gear I can fit in the case. I ordered the Badlands Terraglide but it was about an inch too short for my Halon 32. I then ordered the Legend Everest 40. Bow fits great and I can now add a LOT of clothes and gear. I have an SKB case to sell if anyone is interested lol.

25-Jun-22
Jefferey, (Elkmtngear) that’s why I’m looking to go this route.

Over the last few years, and trips, absolutely zero respect for my bow and gun cases.

I don’t want to land in the Yukon and have no gear.

25-Jun-22
Mine made it to Alaska and Canada so far with two bows and 0 issues. Actually saw the baggage guy throw it 10’ or so and t-bone it on other luggage. Worried the whole flight but no issues

Very nice case imo

25-Jun-22
Ditto on the terraglide and everything said about it above. I've used it for many a flight with no damage to my bows. They do have a hard-sided bottom which provides added protection. My recommendation would be to get a solid color (no camo).

25-Jun-22
The ONLY way to travel IMO. Dozens and dozens of flights with my Terra Glide and no issues. I also have a couple of those Legend cases, but prefer the Terra Glide (if your bow will fit).

—Jim

25-Jun-22
For air travel I use a double bow SKB case. I would only use a high quality hard bow case for air travel. Why would anyone consider entrusting archery equipment in a soft case?

25-Jun-22
Lots of trips with a Cabela's Ripcord XL rolling duffel. Out of production after Bass Pro bought Cabelas. Was big enough for my 35" A-A Prime, arrows, quiver, another backup bow, Kifaru Pack, all hunting clothes, sleeping pad and bag, etc. I load to 49#s and grin. Only cost $159 US as I remember, purchased in 2017 or so.

25-Jun-22
"Why would anyone consider entrusting archery equipment in a soft case?"

Maybe because it protects the bow perfectly well, is lighter and has more interior volume than a hard case, and you don't get F'ed with by airline personnel like you do when it looks like you are travelling with a firearm. Lots of guys have been doing this for 15+ years and I have yet to hear a negative review of the Badlands or Sitka products either in terms of performance or travel experience.

EDIT: One thing to consider - for most out of state trips I fly to, I put one bow in my terra glide and one in an SKB hard case and split my clothing/gear between the two just in case one bag doesn't show up timely. If memory serves, the only time I had a bag get delayed it was my hard-sided SKB double bow case. The terra glide showed up as expected, and all I had to borrow as a stabilizer and an outer layer (the weather took a turn to the colder side and I needed more than what I brought in my carry-on).

26-Jun-22
Terraglide for me, works great.

26-Jun-22
Anyone have any experience with the Eberlestock Hercules rolling duffle? Seems a little light on protection for the bow but not sure.

26-Jun-22
"I fly my bow in a golf case...Never a problem, so far, and it won't trigger an anti-hunter that might be working the airport! "

The ultimate camo!

26-Jun-22
I use the Sitka Nomad which is similar to the Terraglide. I’ve used the Terraglide as well but have found it will not fit longer ATA bows and the Sitka will. I’ve had zero issues traveling with either bag.

26-Jun-22
I have a love/hate relationship with my Terraglide. I love everything about it, except the zipper for the main compartment. If you have the case even halfway full, it is a major PIA to get the dang zipper closed (on mine anyway).

26-Jun-22
I don’t my SKB double after getting the Sitka Nomad. I pack my compound in a cheap soft case in the bottom and have plenty of room and extra weight allowance for clothes and gear since the Nomad only weighs 11#.

I got our entire camp, backpack food, cooking gear and hunt gear in the nomad and a duffle for a 10 day DIY drop camp moose hunt.

27-Jun-22
Having worked for airlines for 40 years and seen the things that happen to luggage I would NEVER consider anything but a GOOD hard lockable hard case for bows or rifles when flying. Cotton

27-Jun-22
I've been traveling with two Legend cases the past few years and have no complaints. They've held up pretty well.

27-Jun-22
I use a Terra Glide and have not had any issues. (knock on wood)

27-Jun-22
I have both a a sitka nomad and an SKB hard side case. Many of my trips are self guided So I'm packing tents and gear as well.

I can pack an additional 10 lbs with my Nomad wrapping my bow with my sleeping bag and clothing. My SKB basically collects dust now.

27-Jun-22
Thanks much everyone.

While costly, Matt made a solid point, only because I’ve got 3 flights to get to Whitehorse. Have one bow in the SKB and one in the soft / hard case. While costly, I’d like my bow to show up!

The added storage and pockets is a bonus to match weight with more gear in the soft case where I’m limited in the SKB.

Thank you all.

27-Jun-22
Thanks much everyone.

While costly, Matt made a solid point, only because I’ve got 3 flights to get to Whitehorse. Have one bow in the SKB and one in the soft / hard case. While costly, I’d like my bow to show up!

The added storage and pockets is a bonus to match weight with more gear in the soft case where I’m limited in the SKB.

Thank you all.

• Sitka Gear