WYelkhunter 29-Jun-22
wytex 29-Jun-22
70lbDraw 29-Jun-22
Cheesehead Mike 29-Jun-22
Drop Tine 29-Jun-22
M.Pauls 29-Jun-22
groundhunter50 29-Jun-22
25-Jun-22
Do any of you use an ATV or UTV in rough elk or deer territory? If so, do you have steel or aluminum wheels? I ask because it seems aluminum may not withstand the beating and steep climbs with an elk and 2 adults onboard, as well as steel. When it comes to UTV’s I’m not savvy on the “rules of thumb” so to speak. Any advice? TIA.

25-Jun-22
I bent a steel rim on my rancher pretty easily, can imagine an aluminum rim would have stood a chance

26-Jun-22
I’ve been in some pretty rough stuff with my atv. I just use the stock rims that it comes with and have never had a problem.

26-Jun-22
I have 4600 miles on my 2002 Yamaha Big Bear and not an issue whatsoever

26-Jun-22
Stock steel rims on my Can Am Defender. No issues.

26-Jun-22

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
CanAm Outlander, zero issues…

26-Jun-22
no experience with aluminum. mine came with steel wheels and never a problem. drive reasonable and stay close to the load limit.

i think in order to bend an atv wheel you'd have to hit a large rock or post at speed and would likely wreck.

26-Jun-22
I’ve rode a 4 wheeler and side x side as much as anyone. In as rough terrain as anyone. And have never gave the wheel material one ounce of thought.

26-Jun-22
Lots of miles - no issues with the stock wheels/rims.

26-Jun-22
No problem with the stock rims on my 03 Big Bear 400. No problem with that machine at all, except the occasional mouse nest in the air box.

26-Jun-22
No problem with the stock rims on my 03 Big Bear 400. No problem with that machine at all, except the occasional mouse nest in the air box.

26-Jun-22
'IKE', get that Can Am where there's some mud or dirt!! I have a Can Am too. Best ride of any atv.

26-Jun-22
95% of our trucks, jeeps, etc, that we take off road have alum alloy wheels. Non issue if you ask me.

26-Jun-22
I’ve never heard of a rim bending. Anyone ever heard of that?

26-Jun-22
Keep the tires properly inflated and take it easy on the rocky areas. Especially with a heavy load. Steel or aluminum either one if mistreated will bend.

26-Jun-22
If a person stays on designated atv trails there really shouldn’t be a problem - unless you go off trail - and that’s illegal

27-Jun-22
Responding with 30 years of beating up Atvs and SxSs in my Outfittering business. I have found aluminum rims to be pretty much bulletproof. Steel rims are much lighter and the beads bend easily on rocks , logs or stumps. Would I change out my existing steels for Aluminum? No. But given a choice .,take Aluminum.. no question.

27-Jun-22
“If a person stays on designated atv trails there really shouldn’t be a problem - unless you go off trail - and that’s illegal”

So, what you’re saying is, if I don’t break the law, I won’t break any wheels? I never knew it was that simple!

27-Jun-22
Aluminum rims can crack where steel will/can bend. Aluminum is definitely lighter in weight. That being said, it is incredibly hard to crack aluminum or bend steel especially in a light weight quad/utv. I wouldn't worry about it what so ever.

27-Jun-22
Have bent steel rims on an atv, we hunt some very rough and rocky terrain.

28-Jun-22
Who, I baby her…Lol!

29-Jun-22

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I've been in some pretty rough, rocky and steep terrain with my Arctic Cat 700 with stock steel wheels. I do have a dent in the outer edge near the bead on one rim but have never bent one.

29-Jun-22
where are you all hunting elk that it is legal to drive of road or trail?

29-Jun-22
Actually some areas in Wyoming allow off road retrieval too. I was talking about some very rough and rocky roads.

I haven't had a flat yet because of a bent rim but have a bent rim that the bead still seals.

29-Jun-22
“where are you all hunting elk that it is legal to drive of road or trail?”

I never mentioned that I go off-trail. They don’t pave the trails in elk country. Sometimes you can’t even tell if you’re on a trail or not. Until recently I took my truck up those trails. It’s like taking a railroad locomotive hunting!!

29-Jun-22

This photo is an example of some of the rocky roads I've ridden on, this happens to be Colorado.

My previous photo was last year in Arizona where off road game retrieval is legal.

29-Jun-22

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Pretty much everyone runs aluminum even the rock crawler Jeep guys. I run aluminum bead locks so I can air up and down and can swap out a tire if needed without a machine. Steel, the word sounds strong but as mentioned they are usually made with thinner steel to keep the weight down and can bend easily in the bead areas.

29-Jun-22
I bent a steel wheel a couple years ago, driving one handed just taking in the view of my field and slamming into a giant Boulder head on lol. I don’t recommended that maneuver. But something’s gotta give. I would trust an aluminum rim more than steel though. I’ve had many of both

29-Jun-22
I have a 2000 Honda Foreman, that has been bullit proof for 21 years. I just put on new tires 3 years ago....... I used it in SW Colorado, and in Utah....... I also used it to get to alot of water holes, around Cortez, to hunt elk...... lots of legal trails, that are what Mike has shown,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its been a good machine. Those are aluminum wheels

• Sitka Gear