midwest 02-Jul-22
DanaC 02-Jul-22
Matt 02-Jul-22
Ironbow 02-Jul-22
Grey Ghost 02-Jul-22
DanaC 02-Jul-22
Matt 02-Jul-22
27-Jun-22
In 2020 I had new Rogue strings and cables put on my Bowtech BTX-31. Today I was at my pro shop to have some tuning done and the tech said the serving at the nocking point was too seperated for him to adjust the D-loop. The serving on the cables is also separated where the cables hit the cable stop on the cams. I asked about reserving the string and he told me that the strings are served under like 400 lbs of tension at the factory and he said he couldn't duplicate that serving process in the shop. Has anyone else had short serving life issues with Rogue strings and cables? The string and cables are Rogue's mid price version at $129.00. I have no idea how may arrows have been launched in the last 2 yrs. but I think I should have gotten longer life out of the servings than I did.

01-Jul-22
2 years is pretty good life span on the serving if you've been shooting a lot. You might consider new strings just due to age and use.

I reserve my own strings, you don't need 400 pounds of tension. I stretch mine out to 100 pounds and my reserve jobs always outlast the stock serving jobs.

02-Jul-22

midwest's Link
I usually end up reserving the the center serving even when the strings are new to get it to fit whatever nock I'm using at the time. The 2 areas you are talking about are easily done DIY.

Get yourself a serving jig and watch a couple of serving videos. John Dudley has a good one. At my link...

02-Jul-22
Does string tension relate directly to the quality of the serving job? Since these are low- or no-stretch strings I can't see why putting 5 times the normal tension on them *helps*.

I'd be inclined to reserve it, buy a new string and keep the current one as a spare.

02-Jul-22
Not sure why the amount of tension used by the factory is relevant since you are now only concerned about the amount of tension your limbs put on the string/cables.

I don’t have an automotive production line in my garage, but that doesn’t mean I can’t change my own oil.

02-Jul-22
Strings and cables are put under that much pressure to try and eliminate any stretch in them later. By the time you have shot it awhile the majority of stretch is gone. No problem re-serving it then.

02-Jul-22
The shop tech’s lame excuse is just another example of why nobody touches my bows but me.

Matt

02-Jul-22
Probably didn't want to do a five-dollar fix-up job, better to sell a new string and install.

02-Jul-22
Tension doesn’t affect stretch.

• Sitka Gear