pav 28-Jun-22
Bou'bound 28-Jun-22
Jasper 28-Jun-22
Ambush 29-Jun-22
Bou'bound 03-Feb-23
Shiloh 03-Feb-23
Buffalo1 04-Feb-23
28-Jun-22
Curious is anyone has first hand experience, or solid information from trusted sources, on a boat based hunt for black bear in AK or coastal BC. This is a way to do something very different from the usual approach to hunt something that is pretty common.

Leads, thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated. May be interested in doing this a couple years out.

28-Jun-22
Bou,

I did it years ago with Muskeg excursions where we based on a house boat, ate dungeonous crab and steaks, and used a skiff to cruise the beaches for bears. It was incredible.

Unfortunately Johnny Laird retired, but I bet Nick Muche has some leads for similar hunts. Good luck.

28-Jun-22
I’m thinking Homer Ocean Charters offers this type of hunt. You might reach out to PAV as well. I’m pretty sure he has done this type of hunt before.

28-Jun-22

FrontierMulie's embedded Photo
FrontierMulie's embedded Photo
I did a hunt with Ninilchik Charters. We we went out of Whittier. Was a great trip and we were very successful on some good bear. We were rifle hunting this trip but might go back with bow now that we understand how the hunt works. PM me if you would like more information.

28-Jun-22

pav's Link
Hunted with Homer Ocean Charters back in 2019.

28-Jun-22

sitO's Link
Fished with a great guy out of Homer, David Bayes - Deepstrike Sportfishing. He also guides for bear from some of his boats. Might be worth a look(link attached).

28-Jun-22
Bou, Dan from ELKSHAPE just went on this exact hunt. Go check out his YouTube page. He just posted up a few videos of what he did and info on everything.

28-Jun-22
We used to do it on a friends boat....awesome hunt. Shrimp, Clams and fresh fish to eat....along with a relaxing bear hunt.

28-Jun-22
Keep in mind, black bear on the Kenai are known for great coats, but not great size. We were told up front...a good mature boar on the Kenai will average 200-220lbs with a 16" skull. I was fortunate to cross paths with an older bear (officially aged at 11-1/2 years old) that was more in the neighborhood of 300lbs give or take (we had no scale)...and the dry skull barely cleared 18". Pretty much the skull size of a 3-1/2 year old Canadian bear according to recent Bowsite threads. That said, spot and stalk bear hunting in Alaska during the salmon run sure was alot of fun! Can't say enough good things about Homer Ocean Charters. Roark is the man!

28-Jun-22
Super info thanks all

28-Jun-22
This is high on my bucket list as well

29-Jun-22
Coastal BC has tons of bears and some big ones. September hides are not like spring hides, so the adventure is the trophy. Jim Shockey did a spot and stalk bow hunt on the rivers of northern Vancouver Island during the salmon run. Pretty cool just for something different.

We see tons of bears while fishing the salmon streams.

03-Feb-23

03-Feb-23
Following…..this is something I’ve been wanting to do as well!!

04-Feb-23
See Kota-man's black bear hunt in his 2022 recap thread.

• Sitka Gear