SB 03-Jul-22
fuzzy 05-Jul-22
JSW 05-Jul-22
DanaC 06-Jul-22
fuzzy 06-Jul-22
28-Jun-22

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo
I decided to upgrade and electrify my bike. I purchase a Bafang 750 watt motor kit with a 48 volt battery pack. Added a light and smaller sprocket for more low end torque. I'm in it for about $900, not including what I paid for the bike, which I've had for over 10 years. So far I'm pretty happy with the results.

Top end before the smaller spocket was 28 mph.

I would love to have a Bakcou or Quietkat but didn't want to spend that much.

I recently bought some wheels to make a pull behind game cart.

29-Jun-22
Cool rig. I thought of doing something like that , but haven't found the need for it yet. I just use my fat bike with a cart behind by pedal power alone. It keeps me fit for now. Those e-bikes are worth quite some money these days. Do you know what kind of range you can get from that bike? I normally go to some hilly terrain and have a chain ring 28 teeth and lower gear with a 42 cassette

29-Jun-22
Cool. How does that motor mount to your frame?

29-Jun-22
Thank you for posting this. I have been wanting an e bike for awhile. Never thought of mounting a motor and battery on a mountain bike like you did. Will definitely have to look into this.

29-Jun-22
How wide are those tires?

29-Jun-22
Is the dodge next for conversion? Better have a big generator to charge that badboy. :)

29-Jun-22
That's funny Jerry. I never have really like that Dodge so, maybe.

#1 They claim 28 miles with the 48 volt battery back. I've gone 10 miles and it still showed 3/4 full.

#2 The motor has a tube that slides into the hub where you pedals ride. Google Bafang 750 watt conversion and look at the video.

#3 The tires are 26 x 47/52. Just under 2" wide.

#4 the standard kit comes with a 48 pt sprocket. Upgrading with Bafang is pricey so I bought one from Walmart that is 40 pt. I'm still mostly driving around town so I haven't installed the smaller sprocket yet.

I didn't purchase the recommended $20 spanner for the hub nuts. I managed with a punch. I did have to purchase a $18 pedal puller. I couldn't get the pedals off without it. At least not in one peice.

29-Jun-22
Where do you shovel in the coal?

Or is that just to create the electricity to charge the bike so then there are no emissions?

30-Jun-22
That is a dandy bike conversion. Tks for sharing.

30-Jun-22
Cool project, Jim! I've been seeing a lot of e-bike conversions around Winter Park, lately.

Matt

30-Jun-22
Jim, Did you purchase one made for a standard bottom bracket?

My Salsa Timberjack has a bottom bracket that says 73 mm BSA.

Unfortunately they are out of stock on the sensors for hydraulic disc brakes. Curious if it can still be used with out the sensors.

30-Jun-22
Nice conversion, how long did it take to install?

30-Jun-22
I’ve had that same Bafang kit on my bike, I converted my 29’er about 1 1/2 years ago. I have about 300 miles on it now. It took me about an hour and a half to install it but Im pretty handy and I own a bike stand which helps.

The motor has started to develop a little bit of a clicking sound so I’m not sure how much longer it’s going to last. It’s super powerful mostly I ride it on level two (of 10) The only time I kick it up to five or six is when I’m going up something super steep.

I would have more mileage on it but this time of year around here they have those goat heads that kill your tires.

The downside of these kits is it makes your bike super heavy…too heavy in fact.

30-Jun-22
Should be easy to go solar on that rig. Lol

01-Jul-22
They shovel the coal at the power plant up the road.

I can't really say how long it took to install. I worked for a while and then hit a snag. Had to drive down to the bike shop and buy the pedal puller. Also, the battery pack didn't want to fit where I wanted it to go so I messed with that quite a bit. If you have no issues and have the right tools probably not more than a couple of hours. After doing one, I could probably do another a lot quicker.

Mine is the sandard size bottom bracket. It fit perfectly. I don't know how well it would work without the brake sensors. They put the motor in neutral when you apply the brakes. I expect that would be an issue.

03-Jul-22
Just buy a scooter !

05-Jul-22
Have you looked at Rokon bikes? An electric version would be awesome.

05-Jul-22
I expect an electric version of the Rokon would take a lot of motor and even more battery.

That's probably why they are all gas powered.

06-Jul-22
Rokons spec at 7 horsepower, e-bikes less than 1.5

06-Jul-22
If you can electrify a street bike (Harley Davidson) why not a Rokon.

• Sitka Gear