sticksender 01-Jul-22
Thornton 03-Jul-22
t-roy 03-Jul-22
sticksender 03-Jul-22
MA-PAdeerslayer 03-Jul-22
Yttails 03-Jul-22
Zbone 04-Jul-22
30-Jun-22
Was out checking cams a couple days ago and heard a fawn squalling in distress nearby.

On locating the fawn, she looked untouched but couldn't get up and was struggling noticeably. No external injuries were visible. An adult doe came running in shortly after I found her and was not too happy about my being there. I left them alone and got out of there, but returned today to find the fawn lying in the same spot & deceased. Nothing had touched her but the flies.

That area is loaded with coyotes, and it's surprising they hadn't already feasted on the carcass. No buzzards or crows either.

30-Jun-22
Great video. Too bad about the fawn but their mortality rate is pretty high regardless.

30-Jun-22
That was sad to watch... past week I have witnessed the does searching for their deceased fawns. One was going hurriedly thru a fresh cut hayfeild... you that result. The other was a doe fawn got hit in front of my house, mom was looking all over my front lawn in distress for her fawn... I don't care what anyone says, animals have emotions.

30-Jun-22

spike buck's embedded Photo
Red Fox dragging fawn....
spike buck's embedded Photo
Red Fox dragging fawn....
Saw this and ran on foot after Fox for the picture!!

30-Jun-22
Tuff to watch. I love to archery hunt Whitetails and I hate to watch events like this. I struggle with this fact. Tuff being a deer.

30-Jun-22
Sticksender, regardless of how that fawn died, that momma has you pegged for the perp. She got yo’ number !

30-Jun-22
Need to have a Bowsite class on how to set traps. Maybe even have a contest.

30-Jun-22
Well they're prey so... it happens... naturally... unfortunately.

Weird, that Bambi complex. Ya don't see outdoorsmen feeling the same way about the other countless animal species whose young die or are killed and eaten... every minute of every day... for millions of years.

And deer aren't the only cute ones. But they're the only ones we feel this level of concern for. Our deer. Weird.

30-Jun-22

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Coyote

30-Jun-22
Knowing it happens and watching it happen are very different things thanks for sharing the video

30-Jun-22
Been seeing one big doe, she has last years' youngster with her but no new fawn. Several people have seen bears cruising the area, can't help wonder if they're taking fawns. (I hear it happens elsewhere.)

30-Jun-22
As I recall, the University Of Michigan Predator - Prey Study showed bears as the biggest fawn killers where they inhabit.

30-Jun-22
I've seen fawns die first hand. One ran full speed into a fence when I came out the door. Another ran from a dog into a creek and drowned. I even plucked it out of the water and tried mouth-to-snout. That didn't work. A friend heard one bawling and found a mink grabbing it by the throat. Just today I saw photos of a black rat snake choking one out. The guy that took the pictures unwrapped the snake and the fawn survived. Fawns have it rough.

30-Jun-22
Dana bears take fawns near me in central mass every year. This is the first year in a while we haven’t gotten a picture of a bear with a fawn in a couple years. We have a bunch of bears near me.

30-Jun-22
Nick, I see bears in Belchertown and Ware, Palmer and Warren, have seen a few west of the Conn. River too. I gotta start hunting them harder.

30-Jun-22
Oof…

I have had the pleasure of hearing a few get killed. That’s mostly awful too. 10 years ago my wife encountered a fawn while driving down the driveway. Poor guy jumped into a fence and somehow managed to break his neck. I had to shoot that fawn… took me awhile to pull the trigger.

30-Jun-22
I feel exactly the way Charlie does. I will go out of my way to save a fawn and feel no remorse two years later when I shoot it as an adult doe.

01-Jul-22
"Weird, that Bambi complex. Ya don't see outdoorsmen feeling the same way about the other countless animal species whose young die or are killed and eaten... every minute of every day... for millions of years."

Not exactly. I just can't bring myself to walk away from a situation where a defenseless newborn animal is likely going to die without intervention. Have raised and released multiple racoons, squirrels, possums and fox in my lifetime...most of those picked up off the side of the road while the mother was lying dead in the road. I've been a hunter since childhood...but have always had a soft spot for the very young of any species.

01-Jul-22
Amen Pav, well said. Any sportsman that can watch a young animal lose their life before they get to experience any of it, with complete callousness ,needs to take a hard look at himself.

01-Jul-22

JohnMC's Link
There a link to the one Bandi was talking about

01-Jul-22
Worse than a natural death;the farmers around here kill quite a few when cutting hay in June.

01-Jul-22
Is it possible it may have ha e been hit by a car? Is there a road near by?

01-Jul-22
TG, I don't think hit by a car. That location is on a large flood plain, a long way from roads.

03-Jul-22
Jeff, the older I get, the more I realize animals do have emotions and are incredibly aware of what's happening. I no longer kill does, and when I do shoot something I kill it as quickly as possible, regardless of species and usually always with some remorse.

03-Jul-22
Greg………my wife (the fawn magnet) experienced something somewhat similar a couple of years ago. She watched a newborn fawn that was bedded in the back yard, only 30’-40’ from the house. It stood up for a few seconds, then laid back down. The doe was nearby and was encouraging the fawn to get up, but to no avail. The fawn remained curled up, bedded for a few hrs, and my wife checked on it several times through the window from the house. Eventually, the fawn was laid out prone of the lawn. My wife went out and checked on it, and it was dead. She said the fawn looked like it had diarrhea, with dark green feces built up somewhat on it’s rear end. There were no visible signs of trauma on the fawn, when she carried it off. The diarrhea on the fawn seemed a bit strange to me, as it’s my understanding that the does are usually very diligent about keeping the fawns cleaned off, to help reduce the scent to help reduce the chance of being detected by predators. It makes one wonder if these types of things happen more than we realize.

03-Jul-22
Interesting t-roy. I suppose with the booming reproduction rate of whitetails, the herd can afford to lose a fawns to mysterious causes. I know I'm seeing plenty of does with twins on the farm right now.

03-Jul-22
Good birthing year in the Northeast too. I’ve seen several sets of twins with momma the last couple days. Been a little while since I’ve seen so many twins walking around.

03-Jul-22
I had a similar encounter a few years ago checking trail cameras. I noticed some movement in the weeds, below the ridge I was on. A fawn just as you described, was flailing around trying to get up. It wasn't bawling but I could tell it was severely dehydrated. It's eyes were dry and covered with flies. There were no visible wounds. I thought about contacting the DNR and trying to get it to a rehabber but doubted it would last long enough for them to get there.

04-Jul-22
Thats crazy that black rat snake was going to try and swallow a fawn that big...

06-Jul-22

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
If I was in this blind, the fawn would get a pass. I agree with the sentiments expressed about at least having a chance at life.

• Sitka Gear