cnelk 04-Jul-22
Grasshopper 05-Jul-22
TREESTANDWOLF 05-Jul-22
JTreeman 05-Jul-22
t-roy 05-Jul-22
Grasshopper 05-Jul-22
SteveB 06-Jul-22
03-Jul-22
I’ve basically have come to the conclusion that the animals I want, I’ll never draw, even with the amount of points I have. So I will bust my a$$ to afford to purchase the LO tags and also travel north ( Canada) to harvest those animals. What’s your thoughts and opinions?

03-Jul-22
I'm with u. I'm beginning to think within the next 10 years that will be the only way to get a tag as a nonresident. Cut the line if u can.

03-Jul-22
Building points for elk and deer in a number of states cause to me those are drawable in my lifetime. May not be the absolute best units, but definitely quality units. In States where it’s cheap to add on another species when I apply I do - who knows, may draw a sheep or moose tag one day. But beyond that, I’m planning on doing similar hunts that I can purchase (moose, sheep, mountain goat, etc) - definitely won’t be holding out for the draw.

03-Jul-22
I’ve had that opinion for a long time. I knew early on I was behind the 8 ball on most draws, and simply never started building points for any of the big stuff. I work hard to pay to hunt the species I want to hunt. In addition I want to hunt many of those species before I’m too old to hunt them effectively/enjoyably.

I’ve been able to hunt sheep 2x, moose 3x, goat 2x, elk 13x plus a bunch of other stuff. Adding another goat/moose hunt this fall. I’m in my mid-40’s now, I could have NEVER drawn those tags.

When guys asked me what they should do to hunt a bunch I tell them to get a good job so you can afford the hunts you want, and make the time to do them.

—jim

03-Jul-22
I have 22 NR moose points in UT. Thought I would eventually but I think it is unlikely. Two years ago I went to New Foundland on a moose hunt. With the current price of a UT tag and money invested in points In the long run the hunt was cheaper. It's LO tags for me from now on for elk. And the same for deer after I use up a bunch of points I currently have in CO, UT and WY.

03-Jul-22
I have points in a few states for elk, deer, antelope. I was buying sheep points in WY, but will no longer play that game with the new quotas/potential points squash they are trying to implement. I dont have the money to just buy a sheep hunt, and frankly dont want to borrow money to do so, so will most likely never hunt sheep. Maybe a canadian moose hunt, but nothing in the states for moose for me. Im currently looking to plan a mt goat hunt, and that will be my biggest hunt and most expensive im likely to do. Im ok with hunting black bears in canada, antelope every few years out west, whitetails at home, and hopefully get a few mulie and elk tags over the next 20 years or so. I have a grand vision of killing all 5 deer species, with all of them qualifying for P&Y, but 4 trips in so far for coues and that may not happen. Mexico and Canada have options every year for alot of different animals, and i knew along time ago i would never get to hunt everything, so any trip i take is a good one for me, whatever im chasing.

03-Jul-22
I've decided there are better pursuits in life than chasing after all game animals.

Give me an elk tag every year (antlerless is fine), a whitetail every 5 years, and throw in the occasional NM oryx tag and I'm good.

My focus now is prepping for retirement...

03-Jul-22
I never bought points for the rare stuff like sheep. Always figured it would be easier to buy a hunt up north. Don't know if I'll ever think the price tag is worth it for those.

Used to think I could draw an elk tag every year somewhere. That has changed a lot in the last few years. Everything is turning into an AZ or NM type long-shot. I may have to move...

03-Jul-22
I’m with you, HDE. CO gives me every hunting opportunity I need these days. NR tags aren’t worth the hassle and expense for me, anymore. I can have just as much fun catching fish in Florida, all year, for a $50 license.

Matt

04-Jul-22
The increasing expense and terrible odds of high demand, low supply critters has turned me off to making them a priority. I'm having fun hunting with my teenage son on easy to get tags and for the cost of one big trip for sheep or moose we can do a bunch of low-key hunts. I will likely do a few more hunts in AK and Canada while I can but at the moment, simple hunts are where I'm having fun.

04-Jul-22
The other option is to move. I'm hunting sheep, goat, caribou, deer, and possibly moose if I have time this year and I already killed a muskox in February.

I still play the game in 14 states too (although I didn't draw a thing down there again this year).

04-Jul-22
treestandwolf I agree, you might luck out & draw one now and again as a NR, but the trend is that will become more and more rare, due to ever-increasing demand. If you place a high priority on hunting the most highly-sought species.....sheep, moose, mt goat, trophy elk and others, the options are 1) get paid enough that you can buy the hunts or 2) move to a state or province that sells residents the tags at minimal cost (BC, AK)

04-Jul-22
I’m 71 years old. Several years ago, it dawned on me that I better get on with it, as my hunting years are few. I buy a couple land owner tags each year. I’ve not applied for any draw tags in a long time, and never will again.

04-Jul-22
I have dumped almost all my points on hunts or just quit the state all together and just buy LO tags and over the counter private land hunts. Cheaper in the long run in my estimation. I drew out my Wyoming elk points this year and all I have left are 18 points in AZ.

04-Jul-22
I just suck it up now and buy landowner tags and hunt all private now also for elk.

04-Jul-22
What are you guys paying for these Landowner tags?

04-Jul-22
You can look at Huntin Fool or Hunters Domain LO tag pages, to see some prices. They are not cheap!

04-Jul-22
Man, for those prices I’d rather go hunt or fish Alaska every year

05-Jul-22

Grasshopper's embedded Photo
Grasshopper's embedded Photo
Here is where I think you guys got it wrong.

Don't buy landowner tags ala carte. Buy the land, and get the tags. Anyone looked at land appreciation lately? When my knees can't take it anymore, I'm going to sell the land. With appreciation, I suspect the tags will have been free and then some.

Anyone want to partner up on some land in Wyoming? I am running out of money to buy and I have it under contract now.

05-Jul-22
Adding up the costs of purchasing points, and years, how can it make sense to wait.

My only thought process is if there is a specific animal you want, a LO tag is the way to go. You may never draw.

And that sux.

05-Jul-22
And none of us are getting any younger Rich… do what you can when you can!

—jim

05-Jul-22
Let me get back to you, grasshopper. The last time I bought a farm without telling my wife about it first, well, let’s just say,……I’ll get back to you ;-)

05-Jul-22
t-roy, if it is a farm, I hear Bill Gates is paying top dollar for them right now. 8^)

06-Jul-22
With all of you guys out of the draws now, a guy might think it's become easier to draw a tag for those who have stayed in. I can assure you at 67 years old that it is not any easier. I too will be using up my points as soon as practical and once I draw I won't be going back in.

• Sitka Gear