smarba 20-Jul-22
12yards 20-Jul-22
Bob H in NH 20-Jul-22
smarba 20-Jul-22
Blood 20-Jul-22
smarba 21-Jul-22
12yards 21-Jul-22
09-Jul-22
Who uses a handheld GPS with an onX chip? And which GPS do you use? My phones GPS works when it wants and I’m sick of fighting it. Want a hand held that’s easy to mark point and then filter thru them to pick where I want to go and go to it…

Thanks!

09-Jul-22
I have a gar.in and the onx chip. They don't play well for me together. The over lapping features don't work, at least not for me.

09-Jul-22
I have a Garmin 64 GPS and OnX on my phone. I like OnX for the mapping but I greatly prefer my Garmin GPS for navigating, especially when I want to be precise in the dark such as finding my tent in the mountains or finding a tree stand when hunting whitetails.

09-Jul-22
I still do from time to time…Mostly phone though!

09-Jul-22
Ok dumb question. I had a 64 but it was always only a blank screen…..I’m using just to mark stands a cameras for dark walks in and out.

09-Jul-22
Garmin Montana and OnX, worked flawlessly for years. Phone and OnX since the app came out, again, it just works.

09-Jul-22
Montana hand held and onX chips..never failed me.

09-Jul-22
WapitiBob X2

10-Jul-22
Garmin 64 with chip for Colorado and app on phone for Nebraska where service and battery life of phone doesn’t matter as much

10-Jul-22
OnX with pre-loaded off-line maps works flawlessly for me. Put the phone in Airplane mode and GoHunt. For back up security I also carry a “Get Back” GPS where I can mark camp and three other locations then hit the Go To button.

10-Jul-22
Thanks guys. I love the phone with onx but my phone gps is screwy. It’s always wrong. And I don’t feel like dropping $1k on a new phone. So I’m gonna go back to the gps route.

17-Jul-22
I had an iPhone and discovered during a backcountry hunt in CO that the GPS didn't work at all. When I got home I replaced the phone. Problem solved.

>>>>-------->

20-Jul-22
On my phone Samsung Galaxy 10 OnX works great; however, when navigating the direction of travel for my icon is NEVER correct. It correctly traces my route as I'm walking, but the direction the icon says I'm pointing can be off by as much as 180-degrees. So in other words, I can't stand still and use the arrow to identify direction to walk, I have to just start and see how my path looks and adjust accordingly.

20-Jul-22
I have OnX on my phone too. How do you keep the phone from shutting down when you are using it? Mine always goes dark unless I keep touching the screen.

20-Jul-22
smarba, unless your phone also has a compass, then you have to walk, in a fixed direction, at a decent pace for the GPS to know which way you are moving. Could that be it?

12yards, you sometimes can set apps to not allow the phone to sleep, other times, I let it sleep and just look at it once in a while, depending what I am doing. You could also raise the "sleep" timer to be really large or off via the phones' settings

20-Jul-22
Good question Bob. I guess I don't know my phone's capability. But if I'm navigating via Google Maps (say driving) the icon for my car points exactly in the direction I'm headed. If I'm navigating via OnX (walking or driving) the icon may be pointing 30, 90, 180 degrees different from the way I'm traveling.

20-Jul-22
Smarba, just hit the icon in the lower right corner on Onx twice. Once it shows the “arrow” It will show your arrow pointing up all the time.

21-Jul-22
Thx Blood, no it's not a matter of that button/icon. I walk next to my hunting partner and his iPhone shows direction icon perfectly all the time. My Samsung doesn't. Not certain if it's the phone or the OnX software, but I do have more glitches/lockups/problems running OnX on my Samsung/Android than I see with my buddy on iPhone. Since my navigation icon works flawlessly using Google Maps, I suspect it isn't the phone that's giving me problems.

21-Jul-22
Thanks Bob H!

• Sitka Gear