Jasper 11-Jul-22
Blood 11-Jul-22
Blood 11-Jul-22
Jasper 11-Jul-22
WV Mountaineer 15-Jul-22
Ermine 20-Jul-22
carcus 20-Jul-22
09-Jul-22
I shot fingers for over 40 years, switched to an index finger release 6 or 8 years ago. I’m working on target panic issues and decided to switch to a thumb button this year and it’s helped tremendously with my shooting. Not being a very experienced release guy I just realized I really shouldn’t have bought an open jaw release considering how much tree stand hunting I do and not being able to clip it on the loop. A guy had a great deal on a used Tru Ball GOAT and I jumped on it without giving it much thought. Anybody else hunt with an open jaw? I thought about a wrist strap for it but the GOAT doesn’t have a hole or slot for attachment. Maybe I should just get a closed jaw??? Thanks!

09-Jul-22

Bowboy's Link
I've been using an open hook thumb release for years. I use the Carter Ember. I have a lanyard on it.

09-Jul-22
Which lanyard Craig?

09-Jul-22
I made it myself. I’ll post a picture when I get home

09-Jul-22
I did an extensive thumb release search a few years ago. I had several requirements. One of my requirements was a hole for a lanyard. Another was must be open hook. And another was the release must be available in both open hook and closed jaw. I ended up compromising on the “both open and closed model”.

When in a blind/stand I have my wrist lanyard on, not optimal, clipped on the loop would be slightly better, but really not that big of a deal to me at this point.

—jim

09-Jul-22

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Here’s a picture of mine with the homemade lanyard.

10-Jul-22
I’m looking to make the switch aswell. Really like the idea of an open hook but leaning closed jaw, caliper type. Asking around some threads on other pages most guys are saying the carter wise choice is the way to go for guys who do a blend of both treestand/blind and run and gun.

10-Jul-22
I can’t picture ever wanting a closed draw release for any scenario. But I admittedly don’t get a ton of treestand time in anymore. That said, I still feel like I’d prefer open jaw.

10-Jul-22
Open jaw, wrist strap, index finger for me.

10-Jul-22
Maybe I’m dumb (probably), but I don’t know how a s/s guy can use a thumb button sear type release with closed jaws. I tried one season and the missed opportunity/anxiety it cause me was not worth it at all. Open hook is the only way I can see it working for me personally.

Now in a stand/blind situation leaving a closed jaw thumb button clipped to the string make perfect sense to me. Two different things to IMO.

If I had to choose one for everything it wouldn’t even be a consideration, open jaw every single time.

—jim

10-Jul-22
I put a lanyard on my goat through that slot to adjust the finger placement

10-Jul-22

GFL's embedded Photo
I use these on my hand releases,They really grip the string well.
GFL's embedded Photo
I use these on my hand releases,They really grip the string well.

10-Jul-22
GFL - what is that thing called? I’d like to try one out!

Thanks, jim

11-Jul-22

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo
Jim, it’s called a Release Holder. You can order for about $10 at www.totalpeep.com

11-Jul-22

Blood's embedded Photo
Blood's embedded Photo
Jasper, this is what a friend of mine has done to help with what you’re saying. Pretty easy to do with a piece a plastic. It’s pretty sweet and doesn’t interfere with anything.

11-Jul-22

Blood's embedded Photo
Blood's embedded Photo
Another view…

11-Jul-22
Holy smokes Kyle! Your friend is a smart man! Love that

15-Jul-22

20-Jul-22

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Carter Open jaw wrist strap index finger is the ticket for me

20-Jul-22
I struggled with target panic from the beginning, tried several thumb releases, didn't work, tried a hinge, it helped a little, finally I just committed to a pulling through on a index release and tp is gone, every release is a surprise, I found the stan xtinction 2 to be the easiest and crispest to use, that said it the jaw malfunction so it feels like its locked and you can put quite a bit of pressure on it before it lets go, cost me probably the biggest bear of my life at 12 yards this spring. Its only happened a 2 other times last fall in practice, sending my bow flying and bouncing off the gravel! My go to release over the years has been the carter quickie 1 plus but it just isn't as good to pull through to a surprise release with. I tried a carter rx1 I believe but I found it loud, one Ermine has above I believe is a carter like Mike, I might try this one

• Sitka Gear