Cheesehead Mike 13-Jul-22
Birdman 13-Jul-22
orionsbrother 13-Jul-22
groundhunter50 13-Jul-22
Cheesehead Mike 14-Jul-22
BULELK1 14-Jul-22
Harley 14-Jul-22
09-Jul-22
Iowa bowhunter looking for elk hunting partner for this fall. I have General tag any sex. Planning on hunting early into middle September dates flexible.

11-Jul-22
If I didn't already have a tag in Colorado I would definitely look in to going with you! Wyoming should be a good time!

11-Jul-22
What unit do you have?

11-Jul-22
Do you provide snacks?

11-Jul-22
HunterWY he has a “General” license. Good in about 50 units.

11-Jul-22
Well that tag is not good until 15SEP.

11-Jul-22
Can't swing it this year. Shoot a big one and good luck!

11-Jul-22
"Well that tag is not good until 15SEP."

Huh?

11-Jul-22
Might help if you gave a little info about yourself and your elk hunting experience.

And ditto DonK, huh?

11-Jul-22
Can we road hunt?

11-Jul-22
I have bowhunted for years mainly whitetails and turkeys I have also hunted and shot mules and a black bear. Colorado elk 2 years no luck.

11-Jul-22
Don't shoot anyone's Mule in Wyoming , sorry couldn't resist.

12-Jul-22
Tracker you should probably study the regs some. Harley I'd be real upset if someone shot my mules.

12-Jul-22
Tracker, the general tag only opens on Sept 15 in certain areas, typically those with a corresponding type 9 license. Also, no one has a "unit" in Wyoming.

12-Jul-22

12-Jul-22
Harley I know a few guys who came out by themselves then met another hunter in the field and helped each other out, they now hunt with each other every year. Don't be afraid to come out by yourself and give it a try, elk are just big deer and not all of them are in hell holes to shoot. I know if someone walked into our camp and needed help they would get it.

12-Jul-22
What wytex said x2

12-Jul-22
Well guess I stand corrected. I thought all General areas required a Type 9 tag for NR to hunt archery elk. I have a Type 9 tag for 37 this year.

12-Jul-22
Wytex x3. I've hunted WY elk solo twice in recent years, and both times met guys camped near me who ended up becoming friends. Several I hunted with for a few days, and one has invited me to hunt pronghorns at his spot. One who was very friendly and shared a lot of info with me about a spot I'd never hunted before, ended up being an idiot and blew all the elk off our mountain, but that's public land hunting.... FYI, Anywhere I've hunted elk, I've found small camps of one or two guys to be much friendlier and more welcoming to an outsider than the "big" outpost camps. Often too many dynamics, too much drama, and "territorialism" in those big encampments.

12-Jul-22
Tracker, don’t know why you thought that. General and Type 9 licenses are two totally different animals.

12-Jul-22
We have some General areas that have Type 9 licenses also, the general archery season then opens either Sept 16 or 20th for most of those general areas. He will need the OTC archery license to hunt with his General tag, Type 9 license holders do not need to buy the archery license.

I agree with Jac. on getting to know folks at the smaller camps, larger camps are more about the fun time not the hunting in many cases.

13-Jul-22
You might be a great hunting partner but the minimal information you have provided doesn't say much.

I guess if I was looking for a hunting partner rather than just trying to connect with somebody by chance once I'm in Wyoming I would give a few more details about myself, what kind of a hunt I'm looking for and what my expectations are. For instance, are you looking for a base camp type hunt, spike camp or bivy hunt? What were your previous elk hunting experiences like? Did you backpack in and spike out? Did you get into any elk? How much backpacking experience do you have? What base camp gear do you have? Do you have the gear necessary for backpacking and spiking out? What are you doing to get yourself into or stay in elk hunting shape? What kind of physical shape are you in? How old are you? Are you able to pack an elk out on your back? How serious are you about elk hunting? What have you done to educate yourself about elk and elk hunting? How is your bugling/calling? Have you done any research on Wyoming and do you have any areas narrowed down or any info or connections? If you haven't done any research and don't have any tentative plans at this relatively late stage of the game are you looking for somebody to take you under their wing and take you to areas they are familiar with? If that's the case, do you bring anything to the table or have anything to offer in exchange such as access to good hunting land in Iowa?

Sorry if this seems like a lot of questions and if I sound blunt but these are some of the things I would want to know if I was considering a hunting partner. Choosing an elk hunting partner is not something to be taken lightly because if two guys aren't on the same page or compatible it can be very disappointing for both. Elk tags that take 4 points to draw are too valuable to go into a hunt with so many unknowns.

I realize you could answer all these questions if somebody shows interest in connecting with you but you might have better luck finding a partner if some of this info was provided up front. Good luck.

13-Jul-22
Short of writing a novel, I'm looking for a hunting PARTNER not a outfitter or guide. I'm quite capable of backpacking in and hunting the west. Thanks for your input Cheese head!

13-Jul-22
Well I guess that answers my questions, thanks for the effort. Good luck...

13-Jul-22
Is that a no from you Mike ? Guys like that need to hunt alone.

13-Jul-22
Hmmmmm… I’m not really thinking that there are any points that Cheesehead Mike made that are lacking value or were in any way disrespectful.

I thought that they were salient points.

13-Jul-22
Harley,,,,, I have never hunted with Mike the Cheesehead, but this guy is a wealth of not only information, but one fine elk hunter,,,,,,,,,, One of the best on DIY,,, this is the guy

I am not Paul at the Fort, but at 73, I will be in Idaho, on a DIY solo hunt,,,, since I like to eat elk, and am happy with a cow,,, I do well, and love my experience

If I was a young guy, I would pick this guys brain, because not only does he talk the talk he walks the walk,,,, and he is a very nice guy........................

14-Jul-22
Well, I was sincerely trying to give Harley some helpful advice. Apparently he didn't interpret it the way I had intended and became defensive. It sounds like some of you guys understand where I'm coming from and thanks for the kind words groundhunter.

If I was looking for a hunting partner I would provide a lot of the information I suggested so any potential partner would know that to expect.

Being a consistently successful elk hunter takes a lot of effort and commitment in all aspects of the hunt and pre hunt planning. I have a Wyoming general tag this year and it's the 4th time I've had that tag. I'll most likely be out there for the entire month of September or close to it. I'll be connecting with a Bowsite friend sometime after the 10th and I have a few other friends who also drew the tag but I will probably hunt solo for 10 days or so. I could have possibly connected with Harley but if he can't even put as much effort into providing some information as I put into trying to help him we probably wouldn't be good hunting partners. I wish him luck in finding a partner and having a great hunt. I don't expect any novels to be written about it though...

14-Jul-22
I've had many strangers from the internet in my Wyoming Bow Elk Camp over the years. Free, no $ exchanges hands, simple helping out fellow bow hunters.

A couple of them actually have come out with No tag and still enjoyed a week, some years and then came back with tag in hand.

Last year the guy in camp was on his 3rd trip/tag out.

I'd like to reach out a helping hand to ya Harley but I'm in disbelief for not drawing my Gen Tag this year (14 out of 17 years I've drawn it) so I'm on a 2nd choice RP cow and another leftover RP cow although they are both in Gen Any Elk units, I'm swamped in September helping out in other states.

I'm basically doing Wyoming on Labor Day week and hope to arrow 1 of my tags.

You will be just fine, I am sure--------->

Good luck, Robb

14-Jul-22
Thanks for the info and encouragement. Good luck!!

• Sitka Gear