WV Mountaineer 15-Jul-22
WV Mountaineer 15-Jul-22
BigSky 20-Jul-22
GFL 20-Jul-22
NH Hunter 23-Jul-22
scentman 23-Jul-22
NH Hunter 23-Jul-22
12-Jul-22
Wrist style finger trigger release or hand held thumb release.

Which for you and why? Have you used both types over time?

12-Jul-22
Thumb release clipped on my loop

12-Jul-22
Thumb button. More consistent anchor and cleaner/crisper break. I feel like I can pull through a shot much better and less likely to punch the trigger.

12-Jul-22
Switched to the thumb about ten years ago I guess, became a way better shooter. Was just more comfortable to me I guess

12-Jul-22
Thumb for me clipped to the string when stand hunting or in my pocket when walking. Never lost or dropped it and a much better shot with it. I don’t like something on my wrist and I tend to punch the wrist release in the heat of the moment.

12-Jul-22
Ironbow x2…tightened up My groups aswell switching to the thumb

12-Jul-22
Wrist / Index It’s on my wrist when I need it.. I’ve watched guys punch a thumb trigger as hard as some guys slap a wrist release… I think if you train the wrist the same way you shoot a thumb release you can easily shoot it the same way with back tension pulling through it. My 2 cents

12-Jul-22
Ohh yea and I can eat a sandwich while wearing it..

12-Jul-22
If you set the index finger release heavy enough it will train you to squeeze rather than slap the trigger. My trigger is so heavy I can wear a glove on that hand and not question the release.

12-Jul-22
Thumb for me. Battled TP for years with an index finger release. Retrained my brain to shoot handhelds and am afraid to even strap an index finger release on my wrist. I've become 100% comfortable with shooting a thumb trigger with back tension while hunting.

12-Jul-22
Thumb release. I seem to be more accurate and consistent with it.

12-Jul-22
Thumb release and that is the way I taught my SIL, daughter and wife!! And I will teach my grandson the same way!

12-Jul-22
Stan shootoff on the string and an identical one in my front pocket, not that I've ever needed it but just in case.

12-Jul-22
I have shot both for years and now prefer to hunt with a thumb release in a variety of hunting situations, spot and stalk, still hunting, calling elk and moose and stand or ground blind hunting. But I don’t think it’s for everyone.

You do have to put more thought into where your release is at all times, and how you are going to suddenly have to use it. They are easier to lose, harder to suddenly get on the string, you can accidentally drop them out of a stand etc. I always carry an identical backup thumb trigger and I know exactly where it’s located at all times. You need to practice with a thumb button release, simulating the variety of hunting situations you might be faced with. If you don’t have time to do that and really ingrain the habits into your system I wouldn’t use one or if you are a bit of disorganized person they can be a nightmare, especially on that once in a lifetime critter at close range.

A thumb button can be a much more accurate release but that slow, accurate shot that you practice a thousand times over can be the wrong kind of shot to try to do in a hurry up and shoot at close range kind of shot and can actually make you less accurate than an index finger release.

For a hunter that is more of a casual hunter and just isn’t going to practice much I would stick with an index release. Or if you are a person that is a serious hunter and is a good shot with an index release, why mess with a thumb release for hunting? Unless you just like to have it hanging off your string on a stand type of hunt? My ten cents worth…

13-Jul-22
Thumb clipped on d loop. Perfect for me hunting whitetails from stand. Im a much more consistent shot with it also.

13-Jul-22
Finger release. I have no doubt that I could improve my accuracy with a thumb release, but from watching others who use a thumb release, it seems to take them a little longer to get "settled in" for each shot. Many of my shot opportunities seem to happen quickly, and that small amount of time might compromise my shot opportunity. Additionally, at 65 years of age, it's a little tougher to teach an old dog a new trick and I am probably resistant to change (if it isn't broke, don't fix it).....either that, or it is the fact that for the most part, my shooting seems to provide good results - at least most of the time.

13-Jul-22
I’ve used both. The trigger finger releases create target panic…. The thumb releases are less likely to do that.

13-Jul-22
Because I go back and forth, with bow compound and long bow, I use a trigger release on compound, more natural for me,,,, just found the right one.... If you sit in a stand all day, I can see the advantage of the thumb release, more prep time.....

13-Jul-22
I'm with medicineman. Too old to try to learn something new. Have two Scott Sharks with me at all times. I think I avoid target panic by not shooting too much. Six to ten arrows a couple times per week keeps me in tune.

13-Jul-22
Trigger finger release, single hook, with a flat/straight trigger most like my competition pistols for familiarity.

13-Jul-22
Most of my PRACTICE is with two different releases - wrist style index finger (Carter 2 shot) and 4-finger thumb release (Stan Perfex). If I get the yips, I shoot the SCAT release for a while to calm the jitters. Just before hunting season, I switch to an inexpensive Tru-Fire wrist strap index finger style that I use for hunting.

The releases I use for practice are to instill great form and proper shot execution. The release I use for hunting is so I can command it to fire when I want the shot to go off. All my preseason practice sessions ensure that the single shot I take while hunting goes off without a hitch and the arrow follows suit.

13-Jul-22
Was going to use a thumb release but the short valley in my cam made me decide not to. When it works it works great but when the cam jerks you over the release goes off. Finger for now.

13-Jul-22
Thumb release always left clipped on the string. Never had a mishap. It’s the way I was taught and could never get comfortable with a finger/wrist release.

13-Jul-22
If you understand Joel Turners “Shot IQ” it won’t matter which release you use. After 40 years of “so so” results I’m finally getting confident with controlled shooting.

14-Jul-22
Hey, look at Charlie. Old dog learning a new trick. Two thumbs up from another old dog.

14-Jul-22
Interesting to read that nearly everyone who uses a thumb button on this thread says they shout better. Why is that? What’s the difference between a thumb button and finger trigger in relation to accuracy? Any thoughts?

14-Jul-22
Interesting to read that nearly everyone who uses a thumb button on this thread says they shout better. Why is that? What’s the difference between a thumb button and finger trigger in relation to accuracy? Any thoughts?

14-Jul-22
^^^^ Many people switch to a thumb or hinge because they develop issues with an index finger release. As Charlie mentions, an index finger release can be just as “accurate” if you use it correctly. On the flip side, you can develop the yips and punch the release if your shot process is flawed, regardless of release type.

15-Jul-22
Good points made Wyo. I read all the time accuracy increases so I was just curious if there is a links. However if switching helps with TP then accuracy would likely improve aswell.

15-Jul-22
Absolutely. Use whatever gives you the most confidence.

15-Jul-22
Currently shooting and hunting with a hinge.

15-Jul-22
Ttt

15-Jul-22

20-Jul-22
It took me years to jump on the release aid bandwagon. Heck, when I started my kids shooting I was still using fingers; but, I insisted they start with releases. I was convinced a release was more accurate than were fingers, I just had to get out of my comfort zone. Now, after having used a wrist release forever, I am finally using a thumb release this year. I'm always late to the game. Heck, I don't think I made the switch to carbon arrows until about 2010. Up until that time I had been using aluminum since I was a kid in the 1970s when I started.

20-Jul-22
Hinge most of the time. Thumb in pack.

23-Jul-22
I found I could eliminate target panic with finger release by fine tuning draw length and release length to firmly/consistently anchor and so I can wrap my second knuckle around the trigger and pull thru the shot with my shoulder. If I extend the release a 1/2”, I pull trigger with tip of my finger and struggle with tp. I tried many releases before I found one with the optimum geometry for me.

23-Jul-22
I use to shoot a thumb release right off the string of my old Darton... bought a Ross with loop and loop slid thru tiny space of release hook. Settled for a wrist caliper type but man my accuracy and confidence were much higher with thumb release. What is a popular one?

23-Jul-22
I found I could eliminate target panic with finger release by fine tuning draw length and release length to firmly/consistently anchor and so I can wrap my second knuckle around the trigger and pull thru the shot with my shoulder. If I extend the release a 1/2”, I pull trigger with tip of my finger and struggle with tp. I tried many releases before I found one with the optimum geometry for me.

• Sitka Gear