drycreek 18-Jul-23
RK 18-Jul-23
Adipose 18-Jul-23
bghunter 18-Jul-23
Gil 18-Jul-23
t-roy 18-Jul-23
Adipose 19-Jul-23
12-Jul-22
Anyone flown to Africa recently and had their flight canceled or delayed? I fly out next Thursday and I’m on pins and needles worried my flight is going to go to hell with all the cancellations recently

12-Jul-22
I flew 2 weeks ago without a problem. Direct NY-Joburg with UA

12-Jul-22
Which flight do you have?

United EWR to JNB has been fine

12-Jul-22
EWR to JNB through united next Thursday!

13-Jul-22
If you look at the numbers flight cancellations are happening, but not like media is telling you. They are using raw numbers, anytime that's done look at the big picture. There are about 30K domestic traveller flights per day. When media says "5000 flights canceled over the weekend", that's less than 10%. If you stay with major hubs and popular flights, you are most likely ok.

I've flown cross country 5 times in the last 6 weeks, plus one international flight. No issues (well weather.....). Looking at the boards in the airports (Denver, Boston, DC, Charlotte) very rare to see cancelled.

13-Jul-22
We had a slight delay waiting for pilots. And more head wind going east to Joberg than normal, so we were late into Joberg. But all good

13-Jul-22
I have had many clients fly to JNB with both Delta and United recently with no significant issues or delays... Check out www.flightaware.com. You can enter your flight number and track the history of that particular flight to see departure and arrival times, any delays, etc...

13-Jul-22
Had 3 flights canceled going to Calgary and each time the price has doubled.

15-Jul-22

08-May-23
Hey there! I understand your concern but try not to worry too much. Flight cancellations and delays are always possible, but they are not guaranteed. It's a good idea to keep an eye on your flight status and be prepared for any changes but don't let it ruin your trip before it starts. Also, you can always book a flight at business class flights. Wishing you safe travels and a great trip to Africa!

08-May-23
I flew Delta from Atlanta to Johannesburg in April with no issues. I imagine most flight cancellations are domestic. And I would bet a lot of them are the cut-rate airlines. We were booked on Spirit to Las Vegas last fall and they cancelled the flight an hour before our departure time with no explanation. I usually would book a major airline, but we were flying with friends and they booked the flights.

I'm booked to fly back to Johannesburg in July, and the flight is already almost booked solid. Sure hope they don't cancel

10-May-23
Glad to hear that you had a good experience flying with Delta to Johannesburg. I've also heard some horror stories about budget airlines canceling flights at the last minute, so I totally understand why you prefer to stick with major airlines. BTW, Miami private jet charter services are becoming increasingly popular among travelers who prioritize comfort, convenience, and safety. If you're interested, I found a helpful guide that explains everything you need to know about it.

10-May-23

10-May-23
I flew Delta, ATL-JNB in late September. We were delayed at least two hours leaving ATL while they tried to bribe passengers to get off the flight due to weight issues. Since most people likely had definite plans in Africa, there weren't a lot of volunteers. I believe the fact that Delta is now using an aircraft that is borderline capable for this length of flight likely causes such problems, although from what I've read the return flight to the U.S. is the leg more likely to have such problems, since it is both taking off from a higher elevation at JNB and flying against the jet stream.

18-Jul-23
Have not been to RSA for a few years. Just booked tickets for 2024 and it was over 28K for me and my wife to fly business class. I would say he prices have gone up just a bit..

18-Jul-23
Adipose

Who are you flying on and what Route

18-Jul-23
Did I read that correctly, $28,000 !!! I don't even know what to say about that.

18-Jul-23
I have a round trip for 2 in May and it was like 4k. Surely 28k can't be right.

18-Jul-23
Flying on United out of NY direct to Joberg. Yes it is correct, 28,875.5 to be exact

18-Jul-23
That was business class. What are they getting for first class

18-Jul-23
Rk,

Your first born, your house and if your liver is any good that too lol. That leaves me out my liver isn't good lol.

Adipose,

Have. Good trip.

18-Jul-23
There is no first class. There is economy, which was 10,013- then premium economy which was actually cheaper on the site today when i booked at 9063.00 or business 14,438. Those 3 classes are the only thing they had. But the business class was with those pods that the seat completely reclines..

18-Jul-23
It will certainly make the trip more relaxed. Have fun, hard not to it's Africa

18-Jul-23
For $28K I can take you to a zoo. Not nearly as much walking ! ;-)

18-Jul-23
All just relative to disposable income. I have a client that flies private everywhere he goes. Now THAT is an eye opener at times

18-Jul-23
I have not gone to Africa in a few years, but I used to go once or twice a year for maybe 25 years or so. We could only afford economy back then, and it was a stretch at 1500 to 1800. I cannot imagine someone just starting out and wanting to go often with what the new prices are. I have been told the prices are going up even more later this year... Crazy times

18-Jul-23
I think when I went in 2004 we paid 1300 R/T.

Between airfare and shipping costs of trophies back, I am having a hard time justifying another trip back.

18-Jul-23
April 2021 -- Anchorage, AK to Jo'burg for $795 RT on a flights that were 75% empty. I miss covid.

18-Jul-23
Hopefully, that’s in Canadian funds, Adipose!!

19-Jul-23
t-roy, that would be great if it was, but it is US dollar.

• Sitka Gear