Pat Lefemine 27-Jul-22
Catscratch 27-Jul-22
JL 27-Jul-22
t-roy 27-Jul-22
Catscratch 27-Jul-22
14-Jul-22

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
So here’s my story, last year I did some food plots late that turned out ok. When I was done I still had 2 packages of seed that were pretty full so put them in vacuum sealer bags and put them in basement closet that is cool and dark. Now I’m ready to plant and am curious if having seeds sealed in vacuum bags would actually kill them because there is no oxygen? I know some seeds are frozen with no problem. But it just got me thinking since none of the bags in store shelves are vacuum packed, did I render them inert? One is 7 Card Stud and the other is Crush Winter Bulbs. Any ideas if they are good or did I kill them? I think I’m going to open them and plant some in a spot in my garden for a week to check viability before I drive 4 hours to the farm.

14-Jul-22
You can also put several seeds in between some damp/wet paper towels and do a germ test on them, for quicker results than planting in your garden. Place the wet towels on a window sill and be sure to keep them moist. You should know if they’re still viable in a few days at most.

14-Jul-22
What t-roy said; do a rag test.

14-Jul-22

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
Thanks for the advise. Going it a try with the paper towel test. Put it on porch on sun for a while and will move to windowsill AJ the afternoon. Is there an acceptable rate of germination? 50% or more good?

14-Jul-22
Use your germination rate to guide your plantings. If for instance it's recommended that you plant 100lbs/acre and your rag test shows 50% germ rate, then plant 200lbs per acre.

14-Jul-22
50% would be pretty disappointing, but like catscratch explained, just do the math to get your seeding rates correct. Not sure what all’s in those blends, but it’s best to stay close to the recommended rates for brassicas (Crush winter bulbs I’m assuming). If you seed brassicas too heavily, they can get stunted, and won’t get very big. Looks like the 7 card stud has a lot of cereal grain in it. It won’t hurt anything if you seed cereal grains a bit on the heavier side. It will just cost a little more.

14-Jul-22
Seeds will be absolutely fine without oxygen if they are dry. The only time they need oxygen is when they are ready to produce energy for germination and growth.

15-Jul-22
Thanks for the advise. Going it a try with the paper towel test. Put it on porch on sun for a while and will move to windowsill AJ the afternoon. Is there an acceptable rate of germination? 50% or more good?

15-Jul-22
I bet you get 85%

15-Jul-22
I'll take 86% on that bet.

15-Jul-22
I find seeds germinate much better in the dark. I start my entire garden from seed. Warm, dark, damp.

15-Jul-22
FWIW.....if you vacuum seal frozen blueberries and then let them thaw out....the juices get sucked out. If you vacuum seal fudge, the oils will be drawn out (BTDT). So....would moisture and oils in the seeds also be sucked out over time affecting their germination??

15-Jul-22
I’m with RIT and Catscratch. I’ve left seeds in the back floorboard of my haul truck and had 85% germination, and that through the winter and the next summer.

15-Jul-22
Ttt

27-Jul-22

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
Well here’s the results a week later of being in moist paper towels. Crush Pro Brassica is better 90%of all seeds germinating. Very happy with those results!!

27-Jul-22

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
The 7 card stud was about 80% germination for all the seeds except for the seeds I believe to be oats for some reason. Those seeds were less than half germinated. Most of them swelled and split but did not germinate or were mush on the inside. In transparency one afternoon the paper towel did dry out and once they were soaked by rain when I left it on porch. So that may have had a direct impact on those seeds. But in reality I guess that mimicked actual hot days and rain. I’m gonna try those specific seeds again just to see. But I’m still happy with the rest of the seeds. Thanks for the advice gents.

27-Jul-22

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
About half of these germinated.

27-Jul-22

27-Jul-22
Really interesting! Thanks for posting this.

27-Jul-22
Thanks for posting! I would say you are good to go!

I do a lot of throw-n-mow in my plots and have never had luck with oats. Wheat/rye/beans/clovers/sunflowers/pumpkins/etc are all easy... but oats not so much.

27-Jul-22
That is a great idea on how to test old bait plot seeds and it's very interesting!! I have some from 2020 and wondering if they will germinate. Now I know how.

27-Jul-22
Catscratch…..any thoughts on why you have issues with oats? They will practically grow on a cinder block if they stay wet.

27-Jul-22
I don't know t-roy. 25 yrs ago when I was tilling for plots I grew several varieties side by side with no problems. TnM oats have been weak for me. Could be my timing, lack of enough moisture, something lacking in the soil, anything. I kind of quit trying rather quickly as wheat and rye fill that spot with zero problems.

• Sitka Gear