Nick Muche 15-Jul-22
wildwilderness 16-Jul-22
Ambush 16-Jul-22
Pete In Fairbanks 16-Jul-22
Mad Trapper 18-Jul-22
15-Jul-22

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Interested to hear if anyone else has heard of this new recommendation and possible change to the importation of caribou.

15-Jul-22
Have not heard? I have a Mt Caribiu scheduled this year and a Woodland in 2023-hope it’s not before then?

On another note, if it does get listed the price of Canadian hunts may go down? Less demand if they are non-importable?

15-Jul-22
Any ideas on why they’re considering this? Limiting the possibility of potentially spreading some type of disease, or another reason?

15-Jul-22
Might have to do with the trend in caribou populations for many of the herds? Just a guess Troy.

15-Jul-22
Jason, caribou populations throughout the world have always been cyclic. They rise and fall, some exceed population objectives for years and others fall short for years.

In my humble opinion, this is nothing more than another thorn into the side of hunting.

I know nothing more than what I’ve posted but found it quite relative as I do know many interested in hunting the four caribou species in Canada.

15-Jul-22

bigeasygator's Link
Understand and agree, Nick. My point was that they were likely using the current state of the population as a justification (which is ludicrous given the nature of both current populations as well as their historical fluctuation). Moving them to Appendix I suggests they are at serious risk of extinction, which is silly. This was the only info I could find after some brief digging (essentially that the US is undecided on whether they would support the proposal at the moment).

15-Jul-22
Read your link, thanks for posting that.

What a joke….

16-Jul-22

On another note, if it does get listed the price of Canadian hunts may go down? Less demand if they are non-importable?

16-Jul-22
That is the problem with anti-orgs using a declining population in one isolated area to blanket all the other areas.

In BC we have a several small, isolated herds in the south that are considered "unsustainable" because they have been studied and managed to near zero.

Elsewhere in the north, the populations are rebounding very well strictly on the benefits of wolf culls. If the anti's can get caribou generically put on the endangered list, then all hunting caribou hunting in BC stops. That is the end goal and strategy.

16-Jul-22
Just because a species is listed on one CITES appendix or another does NOT mean it cannot be exported/imported.

What is DOES mean is that the paperwork becomes more complex (and expensive.)

CITES classification has little to do with "science" any more. A lot of common wildlife is listed in CITES. Examples would be wolves, bobcats/lynx and river otters AND for crying out loud.... black bears! These days getting a species listed in CITES is merely an exercise in political power by a raft of shady NGOs and special interest groups. Sad.

Pete

18-Jul-22
There is definitely a movement a foot to stop all non-resident hunting of caribou in the Canadian provinces. My outfitter in BC notified me earlier this month that I could not hunt caribou on my moose hunt. I was supposed to be able to take one on a trophy fee. He said that he lost his tags. Another outfitter in Nunavut told me yesterday that he had all of his tags pulled for this year as well. He just found out a couple of days ago.

• Sitka Gear