Pop-r 20-Jul-22
KSflatlander 20-Jul-22
fuzzy 21-Jul-22
welka 21-Jul-22
Jarhead 22-Jul-22
fuzzy 22-Jul-22
Rut Nut 23-Jul-22
18-Jul-22
I'm not too good at posting links so maybe someone will help me out but a 6 yr old boy was bitten near Colorado Springs and died nearly a week later in the hospital this past week. God bless him and his family!

I think this is a reminder to be cautious as one can be and kill EVERY venomous snake you see!

18-Jul-22
So sad. Prayers for his family.

18-Jul-22

JL's Link
Colorado Springs 6-year-old killed by rattlesnake bite

by: Kate Singh, Maggy Wolanske

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 / 10:15 PM MDT

Updated: Jul 13, 2022 / 12:52 PM MDT SHARE

SECURITY-WIDEFIELD, Colo. — A Colorado Springs family is mourning the loss of 6-year-old Simon Currat, after he suffered a rattlesnake bite while out on a trail.

It happened on July 5 in the Blue Stem Prairie Open Space, which is located just south of the Colorado Springs Municipal Airport.

According to a GiveSendGo, set up in support of the family, Currat was with his father and younger sister when he encountered the rattlesnake.

“We received a call for a possible allergic reaction,” said Derek Chambers, battalion chief for the Security Fire Department.

Chambers said a short time later they learned the victim was 6 years old and had received a rattlesnake bite.

“We responded immediately,” he said. “The patient and his father were out riding bikes in the Blue Stem Open Space. They were on a trail.”

Chambers said the boy got off his bike to look at a mile marker sign.

“When he got off of his bike, that’s when he encountered the snake and yelled, ‘rattlesnake.'”

Chambers said the boy’s dad ran to him, grabbed him, and went for help.

According to GiveSendGo, campaign Currat’s father did not have a phone with him and ran to the nearest intersection for help.

The El Paso County Coroner’s Office confirmed Currat was eventually moved to Children’s Hospital in Adams County after the incident.

He died there four days later.

According to GiveSendGo, doctors told Currat’s parents that the swelling in his brain was severe and life-threatening. On July 9 it was found there was no life left in his brain and the decision was made to remove him from life support. On July 10 Currat remained only on a breathing tube and the tube was removed shortly after family and friends said final goodbyes.

According to Colorado Parks and Wildlife, rattlesnakes are not aggressive but will defend themselves if threatened or provoked. That can sometimes happen accidentally if, for example, a hiker doesn’t see a snake and steps on it.

The campaign on GiveSendGo sends funds and prayers to the Currat family.

18-Jul-22

JL's Link
The recent death prompted Colorado Parks and Wildlife to release the below lists of what to do — and what not to do — after a rattlesnake bite, according to the HerpMed website, U.S. Food and Drug Administration and American Red Cross. What to do if a person is bitten by a rattlesnake

If the snake is still in the vicinity, move carefully away to a safe location.

If you can do it safely, it can be helpful to take a photo of the snake for identification. Rattlesnakes are Colorado's only snake that does not have a sharply pointed tail. Instead it has rounded buttons. Also, the head of a rattlesnake is wider than its body, like if you make a fist your hand is wider than your wrist.

Find a place where the victim can lie flat and rest comfortably and encourage the victim to remain calm and offer reassurance.

If in a group, send one member to notify local emergency staff and the nearest hospital. Do not leave the victim alone in order to get help. Carry a cellphone with you while you recreate.

Allow the bite to bleed freely for about 30 seconds and then cleanse and disinfect the bite area with Betadine (iodine) or soap and water.

If hospital treatment is more than 30 minutes away and the bite is on a hand, finger, foot or lower arm or leg, a wide elastic bandage can be used as a pressure dressing.

Wrap the bandage quickly from an area just above the bite past the knee or elbow joint, immobilizing it. Wrap no tighter than for a sprain. The goal is to restrict the movement of venom into the bloodstream without cutting off circulation to the affected limb. Check for pulse above and below bandage and rewrap if too tight.

Apply direct pressure to the bite using a 4x4 gauze pad folded in half twice. Soak the pad in iodine and tape it in place.

Remove all rings, watches, jewelry and tight-fitting clothing as the bite area, as most of the bitten appendage will swell.

Immobilize the bitten extremity as much as possible, using splints if necessary.

Try to keep the bite location even with the heart. Raising it above the heart will increase the spread of venom into the body and swelling will increase if kept below heart level.

After administering first aid, take the victim to the nearest hospital or medical facility. If not done previously, get someone to call ahead to the nearest hospital so that it will be prepared for the victim’s arrival.

What not to do if a person is bitten by a rattlesnake

Do not assume that a bite is not serious or that treatment can be delayed.

Do not apply oral (mouth) suction to the bite. Such action has the potential to introduce harmful bacteria into the wound that could cause sepsis.

Do not make any sort of incision into or around the bite marks. This will only increase trauma to the bite location.

Do not apply a narrow, constrictive tourniquet such as a belt, shoelace or cord. Restricting blood flow in this manner puts the bitten extremity at a high risk for amputation.

Do not engage in strenuous physical activity. This will only speed the spread of venom to vital organs.

Do not apply ice, hot or cold packs to the bite. These have no proven beneficial effects and may compound tissue damage through burns or frostbite.

Do not allow the victim to take aspirin or use any medication.

Do not give the victim anything to eat or drink unless approved by a physician.

Do not remove pressure dressings until antivenom is available.

Do not waste time or take any additional risks attempting to kill or capture the offending snake.

What to do (and not) if your dog is bitten by a rattlesnake

Move a safe distance away from the snake and calm the dog.

Clean the wound with soap and water and treat with antibiotic ointment if available.

A Sawyer or other venom extractor should not be used because the dog’s hair will prevent a good seal from forming.

Limit physical exertion and get the animal to veterinary care immediately, calling ahead if possible.

What to do if you encounter a rattlesnake

Snakes are often heard before they are seen. If you hear a rattlesnake, freeze in place until you or a companion can locate the animal. Attempting to move away from a snake you can’t see may lead you closer to it.

Even if the snake can be seen, not moving will reduce the threat you pose to the snake and help you calmly assess the situation.

Once you assess the situation, establish a safe distance. Rattlesnakes can strike to a distance of half their body length. A good rule of thumb is to put at least 5 feet between yourself and the snake.

Move by slowly backing the way you came.

Do not under any circumstances try and catch, kill, provoke or move a rattlesnake. Fully one-third of people who suffer snakebites were bitten as a result of trying to handle or kill the snake.

Move around the rattlesnake at a safe distance.

How to avoid a rattlesnake bite

Wear sturdy leather boots, which afford good protection for the feet and ankles that are usually in the closest proximity to rattlesnakes and account for nearly all bites.

Watch where you place feet and hands at all times, especially around logs and rocks where rattlesnakes shelter.

Do not recreate with headphones or ear buds as a rattlesnake usually warns if you are too close by making a rattle sound.

Be especially aware of rattlesnakes around dusk, when snakes become active hunting and human visibility drops.

If the snake coils up and rattles, you are too close and should move away slowly. Stepping back just a few feet can be enough to convince the snake that you are not a threat. Most rattlesnakes will not strike at people unless they feel threatened or are deliberately provoked.

18-Jul-22
I believe we should eradicate them!

18-Jul-22
That’s terrible. Thanks for the info JL

18-Jul-22
That’s a parents worse nightmare. There’s not a good way to lose a child but that has to be terrible. Prayers for that family.

18-Jul-22
Sad news. Eradication is impossible and unwise though. All creatures serve a purpose in their native environment.

18-Jul-22
Terrible tragedy.

18-Jul-22
I separate the head from the body on every rattlesnake I encounter.

18-Jul-22
Prayers to that family and no need to kill every rattle snake, they too serve a purpose. We relocate many every year.

18-Jul-22
VERY SAD! : (. PRAYERS to the young man’s family. Most venomous snakebites are not fatal, but unfortunately it DOES happen from time to time. I almost became a statistic 4 years ago tomorrow................last person in PA to die from a poisonous snakebite was in 2015. The man went into cardiac arrest in the medivac helicopter and was DOA! : (

WEAR YOUR SNAKEBOOTS GUYS.................it would have saved me a lot of pain and suffering (not to mention $$!)

18-Jul-22
I can't imahine being silly enough to relocate a rattlesnake. You'd have to cut me. Saber tooth tigers once had a purpose too. People never amaze me.

I remember your story rut nut. Very bad deal! I know for me and I think many others we don't seem to always comprehend how dangerous these things are.

18-Jul-22
I would relocate it IF on a trail or near a house or building...................AFTER it took a load of .410 shot from my Taurus Judge!

18-Jul-22
Terrible news!

18-Jul-22
To each their own, we know full well how dangerous a rattle snake can be. Too scared to relocate, some people simply amaze me as well.

18-Jul-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Day 2
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Day 2
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Day 2 trying to walk with walker and IV and anti-venom infusing......................
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Day 2 trying to walk with walker and IV and anti-venom infusing......................
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Day 3
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Day 3
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
day 5
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
day 5
Scared? Nope- just not gonna put myself in a potentially dangerous situation if I can help it!

SOme folks question me when I tell them I will shoot a poisonous snake on site now ..................aren't they "Protected in PA?" I say yes...........................and if I am ever confronted by a Forest Ranger or Game Warden for killing one, I will show them the pictures. If they still want to charge me I say go ahead. I will stand before a jury of my peers- no problem! ;-)

18-Jul-22
Pop-r don't get me wrong, I killed a rattler last week. It was too close to human habitation I just don't want them all gone.

18-Jul-22
I'm with fuzzy on this. Not all need gone but I agree with managing where you find them on your property. Lots of things in nature can hurt or kill you, not all need to be exterminated. Rut I hope you have no lingering issues from the bite. No judgement here just commenting on the issue of killing all rattle snakes.

18-Jul-22
No offense but that's the wrong approach IMO. You huggers can believe what you want and the rest of us realist will believe as we do. I bet y'all voted for Biden too.

Rut Nut I agree, I'll use your pics and story in my own defense and not have any problem I don't believe.

18-Jul-22
Non venomous snakes can slither away. Venomous will die. I lost a great dog to a rattlesnake, and have been bitten myself. I got off much better than Rut Nut. Been no problem with a bull snake.

18-Jul-22
Wytex- Thanks, but suffice it to say, I have a bunch of lingering issues! I’ll update my original thread tomorrow(4 year “anniversary“ of my ordeal) for anyone who might be interested.

18-Jul-22
Lol@ Pop-r, I'm not biting.

18-Jul-22
According to Google, there are about 5 snake bite deaths a year in the US. Imagine if we eradicated everything that caused more deaths than that.

I think Pop-r is a world class sissy. He probably thinks all insects should be eradicated too.

Matt

18-Jul-22
Oh man that is horrible!

My son and I hunt in area where there a lot of snakes. We've had 3 in 1 day rattle at us that we never saw before they did. This area has no cell service and is a 1hr hike and then a 90min drive to get medical. Have spent some time thinking about it and trying to decide what if anything we could to lessen the risk. The only thing I land on is it's kinda like hunting in grizz country. You understand the risk, try to be mindful and then it is what it is. The world has risks and if you try and avoid them all, you're going to miss out on some of greatest land this country has to offer.

With all that said, I have a pretty solid griiz plan up until one bull rushes me.... Rattlesnakes I have no plan. If you have a lot of experience with them, you know they just appear in front of you when you have no clue they are near. AND they are fully camo!

18-Jul-22
How very sad, such a young life taken, Mother Nature can be an evil bitch.

19-Jul-22
I have a plan and it involves a load of rat shot, I'm in the kill every venomous snake you see camp.

19-Jul-22
Prayers to the family, that is terrible.

Damn Rut------> how dang painful

Good luck, Robb

19-Jul-22
Like a lot of other issues some states have lost all common sense. If there's a poisonous snake around me, especially the kids, I will kill it

19-Jul-22
Like a lot of other issues some states have lost all common sense. If there's a poisonous snake around me, especially the kids, I will kill it

19-Jul-22
Prayers for that youngster's family. Very sad.

19-Jul-22

Oh man that is horrible! My son and I hunt in area where there a lot of snakes. We've had 3 in 1 day rattle at us that we never saw before they did. This area has no cell service and is a 1hr hike and then a 90min drive to get medical. Have spent some time thinking about it and trying to decide what if anything we could to lessen the risk. The only thing I land on is it's kinda like hunting in grizz country. You understand the risk, try to be mindful and then it is what it is. The world has risks and if you try and avoid them all, you're going to miss out on some of greatest land this country has to offer.

With all that said, I have a pretty solid griiz plan up until one bull rushes me.... Rattlesnakes I have no plan. If you have a lot of experience with them, you know they just appear in front of you when you have no clue they are near. AND they are fully camo!

That was my scenario Rick. My advice- Snake boots(or gaiters/chaps) AND an Inreach! I thought about buying both several times, but in the end decided not to spend the money for the few times per year I was in snake country. Worst decision I ever made! : (

19-Jul-22
IF you'd like I'll stop in there and show you how big of sissy I am on my way through next month

19-Jul-22
Lol...this is getting good. Pip-r you coming by my area soon?

19-Jul-22
Lol. You calling names too?

19-Jul-22
Just ignore him Pop-r..................................some folks just don't have a clue! I'm sure he'd have a different outlook if he was out of work for 6 weeks, trying to walk for weeks with some type of assistive device (walker/crutch/cane) and then trying to figure out how to pay the thousands of dollars of "out of pocket" costs that were not covered by insurance............................................

19-Jul-22
Rut Nut, been there but not from snake bite.

19-Jul-22
And Pop-r no it was a typo. Oh God please don't whip my ass. Lol

19-Jul-22
Gray Ghost- I know elk injure people every year then when you add in the vehicle/elk collision deaths. There are a lot more human deaths due to elk than rattlesnakes. Maybe we should kill every elk we see and get rid of all them regardless of wildlife laws? Same with deer.

19-Jul-22
Rut they just don't have any sense. Like I say they probably voted for Biden. Real "tough" guys that don't kill snakes. Lol

19-Jul-22
People sure make themselves and their ideas known here. I sure glad i'm not some of you or have your ideology.

19-Jul-22
Don’t get your panties all bunched up, Pop-r. I was just yanking your chain. I probably should have added a smiley face to my post.

Kill all the damn snakes you want. It won’t make a lick of difference to the minuscule chances that you’ll get bitten.

Rut Nut, I’m truly sorry for your unfortunate snake encounter, and I understand your animosity towards them. I’d probably feel the same way if I went thru that ordeal.

Matt

19-Jul-22
I'm going to. Hopefully it'll make a difference sometime. Maybe it'll save your grandson from getting bitten sometime.

19-Jul-22
Thanks Grey Ghost- but I don't know if "animosity" is the right word- I just don't trust them after my encounter. Only ever saw 2 Timber Rattlers in PA and neither one of them rattled. One I saw, the other one I didn;t. They are notorious for NOT rattling.

I talked to a pipeline worker last year that said they come across them frequently when they are putting in these new pipelines in the Marcellus Shale area of PA(Northern Tier Counties). He said they call a snake handler in whenever they encounter a snake or a den. She is offiliated with Penn State and said they believe the Timber Rattlers in that area are becoming conditioned NOT to rattle now...................especially the ones that get caught during the snake hunts that are bagged and then released back into the wild after the contests. (These hunts or contests are very popular up in that part of PA.) They are apparently more reluctant to rattle after being caught because they don;t want to be caught again..........................................

I often wonder how many I walked by over the years and never saw .................................

19-Jul-22
I don’t think we should eradicate rattle snakes. That said if I see one and can kill it without chasing it into tall grass then it’s dead. I’ve killed them with pipe wrenches, tee posts, shovels but I usually just park on them. Like I said I don’t care to eradicate them but I don’t want them thriving either. Bull snakes in my yard I kill or relocate depending on their temperament. Hog nose and other grasshopper eaters get a pass. I don’t want my kids getting bit and not knowing if it’s a bull snake or rattler that’s bit them.

19-Jul-22
Prayers for the little boys family and my condolences to them .....

19-Jul-22
This is AWFUL! I can't imagine seeing my little boy in that position. I feel terrible for him and his family. Beyond sad.

19-Jul-22
That's awful. My little girl has a lot of freedom to run around our place out in the country, and this is my biggest fear with her. I have preached and preached to her to look out and not mess with any she sees. And I always send her out with our two dogs, hoping that if they encounter a bad snake they'll take the hit before her.

Couple years ago I killed a 6 inch long cottonmouth in our driveway. Just gave me chills, as she's always out in crocs or sandals not only in the yard, but the creek and pond and fields, etc.

19-Jul-22
Pretty good thread with some useful info on Leatherwall titled "rattlesnakes" if anyone is interested.

'Course, if you only see a snake once or twice every few years, it may not interest you. ;-)

19-Jul-22
Pop-r you seem a bit over excited. Possibly check or refill your meds?

19-Jul-22
I can get excited about things that devastate people. No meds. I've never even been to the doctor for a checkup. Maybe that's the problem. Lol

19-Jul-22
Copperheads are the threat here and they are silent. Once in a flower bed they become invisible. I kill them only if they are by the house. I once had a large but harmless black rat snake resting on my treestand platform as I climbed up. That will get your attention.

19-Jul-22
Lost Arra same here, we have both but more copperhead. Out in the wild world they get a pass, around home or houses they have to go

19-Jul-22
I kill pretty much every snake I see, unless it eats other snakes or bugs. Absolutely no reason to let any venomous snake live. It could be the difference between a couple hundred thousand dollar hospital bill, loss of a limb, loss of a child, or loss of livestock or bird dogs. There are literally dozens of other species that prey directly on rodents, so that is a poor excuse to let snakes live.

19-Jul-22
My anti-venom alone was $219,000...................the drug Company wanted $420,000 but my insurance company negotiated it down!

19-Jul-22
Amen Thornton. Agree 100%!

20-Jul-22
How many state you coming to Pop-r? Put me on the list , lol.

20-Jul-22
You might like me too much and wanna keep me.

20-Jul-22
Maybe BIgPizzaMan can arrange a charity MMA fight for you guys.................................. ;-)

20-Jul-22
Snakes are the devil. It's biblical. Whenever I kill a snake I believe I am doing the Lord's work. And, no, this is not a joke.

20-Jul-22
CCity65 can you quote the scripture supporting your beliefs?

20-Jul-22
I am referring to the serpent in the Garden of Eden. The serpent was the devil. And for his part in tricking Eve, God put enmity between man and serpent. Man will strike at his head while the serpent will strike at our heel.

Now, with that said, I do not kill every snake I see. I am ambivalent toward many snakes. Rattlesnakes however, especially if they are threatening, I am not ambivalent toward.

20-Jul-22
I was pretty sure you meant Genesis

20-Jul-22
Amen Ccity!

20-Jul-22
So God created snakes but you kill snakes because God says to? Or are you saying the devil created snakes?

21-Jul-22
Pretty easy to argue just about any point by cherry picking Genesis and Leviticus, stretching a bit and applying some spin.

21-Jul-22
Always floors me to bump into people (when elk hunting where rattlesnakes live) without snake boots or snake gators. Gators are cheap and even though they can be hot, worth every penny.

22-Jul-22
SMH. Snakes are not evil. This has to be one of the saddest threads I've ever come across.

22-Jul-22
I'll leave one more thought, the larger snakes are important predators of small wild rodents. Small wild rodents are more likely to kill you or cause serious health issues than snakes.

23-Jul-22
AMEN Welka! I was THAT guy at one time.................didn’t want to spend the money on snake protection for the few times per year I was in snake country......................DON’T be THAT guy!

• Sitka Gear