Glunt@work 18-Jul-22
wyobullshooter 18-Jul-22
wyobullshooter 18-Jul-22
Big Joe 18-Jul-22
'Ike' (Phone) 18-Jul-22
wyobullshooter 19-Jul-22
carcus 19-Jul-22
17-Jul-22
Spent some time chrono graphing my six bows. Thought this information might be useful to anyone considering one of these bows. I was surprised the BT Solution with 60 lbs. limbs was only 3 fps slower than the Hoyt RX7 Ultra, especially given the BT was set on 'comfort'.

Also, the arrow weights were exactly 20 grains difference between the Gold Tip 340s and 400s, but there was only 6-7 fps speed difference. I am going to shoot the 340s with all bows except the Revolt with 50L lbs. limbs that I use in extreme cold weather.

Bow Information

BRAND MODEL SERIAL # LIMB WEIGHT CAMS SPEED 400/340 Hoyt Spyder 34 940609 60 RK-2D-R 281/274 Hoyt Defiant 34 1307251 65 DFX2R NA/283 Hoyt Pro-Defiant 1357480 65 DFX3R NA/283 Hoyt RX7 Ultra 1691641 60 HBX Pro2 269/262 Bowtech Revolt G38306 50 20L 243/237 Bowtech Solution SS 142413 60 215 266/259

NOTES: Arrow length is 27.5” from nock to insert. Gold Tip 400 arrows weigh 367 grains, GT 340 arrows weigh 387 grains. Both of these arrow weights include 100 grain points. Draw length for all bows is 28.5”. Bowtech bows are set on ‘Comfort’. Did not shoot the lighter arrows with the 65 lbs. limbs to prevent any limb stress.

17-Jul-22

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo

17-Jul-22

Apologies, the data would not just copy from the spreadsheet so I took a picture.

17-Jul-22
The Hoyt RX7 Ultra is a slow bow. No surprise there. And the Spyder is a speed bow. Same same. Those arrows are pretty light. Good info.

17-Jul-22
Frank Interesting test there. Im always curious as to what mine shoot fps, so i finally chronoed mine at the bow shop once it was tuned and arrows selected. You have some really close to the same, and a couple pretty fair gaps there. Makes me wonder what i could do with mine and a heavier arrow setup.

18-Jul-22
I don't think the Spyder 34 was a speed bow at all. Interesting it is quite a bit faster. Was it the aluminum bow with the RKT cams or the carbon with the Z5 cam?

18-Jul-22
Aluminum. All are except the Ultra.

18-Jul-22
Cool, thanks for sharing, I've had a chronograph for a few years now, I love it, wouldn't go without. I don't like slow bows, especially for elk and moose hunting! Slow bow has to go!

18-Jul-22
It appears you’re listing max specified limb weight for each bow and not the actual measured draw weight. Is that correct? If so, actual draw weights can vary a lot vs. what’s printed on the limb and this could account for some of the surprise findings.

18-Jul-22
Interesting. My initial reaction was oh wow the Revolt is slow in comparison but then I realized it was set at 50lbs. So it's very difficult to compare them when the draw weights are so different. The range is from 50-65 lbs. Overall it looks like all the bows if set at same weight would be within about 5 FPS of each other.

Just goes to show if you buy a bow because it is "faster" real world I think it's only gonna be a few FPS faster than a different bow. Not crazy different. And these are with suuuuper light arrows. Get into a 420-450 grain arrows and the differences shrink even further.

Thanks for sharing!

18-Jul-22
Thanks guys, I found some of the results interesting as well.

Tilzbow, all bows are maxed out, bolts all the way down. My digital scale puts them about 2lbs. on average over stated amount, none lower than the stated. However, it was in the low 90s in my barn when this test was done so that might affect poundage?

18-Jul-22
Carcus,

You bring up a good point. These bow speeds are just fine for the short distance deer, turkey and bear hunting I do. Would they be good enough for elk or moose? I am going to do the KE calculations and then compare that to minimums recommended. In no way could I take on elephant though, lol!

18-Jul-22
I'd chase elk with any of those bows, but I have a 29.5" draw length. I'd probably swing the 50# Bowtech to performance mode though.

18-Jul-22
Thanks Steve. Probably will change it to performance as I had no problem pulling it at well below freezing last year.

18-Jul-22
Nice cpmparison, tha ks for sharing! Many years ago I was told that the bolts shouldn't be completely torqued down, but rather, turned back a half turn from max. Is it ok to do so or was i led astray early on?

18-Jul-22
Good question, hope someone in the know answers. Thanks

18-Jul-22
To me the only thing that makes a difference when you are talking 10-15fps is which bow is quieter and shoots the best. No animal cares how quick your bow is, I agree those arrows are pretty light. Shawn

18-Jul-22
Plenty for elk in my opinion. Myself and most of my hunting buddies shoot speeds well under 200fps and we expect ( and usually get) exit holes on elk if a major bone isn't hit.

18-Jul-22
Certainly any of your bows are more than adequate for elk or moose, although I’d definitely recommend bumping up your arrow weight into the 425-450gr range.

For comparison sake, due to elbow/shoulder issues, I had to get my BowTech BTX-28 with 60# limbs and set it at 59# on the “Classic” setting (not an option on newer models), and due to elbow surgery my DL is only 26”. My arrows are 436g and I get 242 fps. Knowing I’m somewhat limited with my setup, I limit my shots to no more than about 40yds. I’ve had pass through’s on elk at that range and shorter. I shot my moose before I started breaking down, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use my current setup on them either.

18-Jul-22
Thanks for the input guys.

According to spine charts from GT I am over-spined. I cannot recall the last time I did not get a pass thru except with the Revolt on a broadside, both shoulders on a jake. I do wait for broadside shots on deer and bear and I am usually 10-17 yards, so I think my arrow weight is adequate. I have used 125 grains for tips but was never as pleased with arrow flight.

At 63 years young, lol, I don’t see any hunts outside of the game I pursue now. Again, I appreciate the food for thought though!

18-Jul-22
Wyobull,

My left elbow bothers me much more than my shoulders when I shoot daily. You don’t hear too many archers here mention that. Glucosamine has helped noticeably for me. Wish you the best!

18-Jul-22
To clarify, you asked if your current setups would be good for elk or moose. That’s what I was addressing.

18-Jul-22
Understood, I was curious if others would use them or not. My bad!

18-Jul-22

Big Joe's embedded Photo
Big Joe's embedded Photo
Here is a spreadsheet with arrow weight, speed, KE and momentum from my Hoyt DoubleXL @85# and 32.5".

I was fortunate to have access to a lot of different arrows from 453gr up to 938gr. So the table on the left is real world data and the one on the right is theoretical data using the regression line from the graph I drew up.

It is interesting to see how effective the bow becomes with heavier arrows, losing less speed as the arrow weight increases.

18-Jul-22
I need to do this!

19-Jul-22
Big Joe is a great handle, 85 lbs. and a 32.5” DL! Elephant is no problem!

The stats in the boxes are the theoretical values using regression analysis, nice example for students on the value of regression analysis. Thanks!

19-Jul-22
Heck, if I had a 32.5” DL and pulled 85#, I’d just shoot rebar and call it good. ;-)

19-Jul-22
You want to get a real nice bow that puts out great speed and is really easy to draw, look at the pse xpedite nxt, they are unreal, and very available used right now since the release of the new pse omen, the omen is a step back IMO as it draws like shit

• Sitka Gear