Supernaut 27-Jul-22
t-roy 27-Jul-22
tobywon 28-Jul-22
nowheels 28-Jul-22
26-Jul-22

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo
The Necedah Chronicles :

The very first deer I managed to outwit using archery equipment succumbed to a well placed, albeit lucky shot from a recurve bow forever ago when I was 11 years old. My Dad bought me a brand spanking new Shakespeare Necedah that would max out at about 45 pounds if I could draw it all the way to 28", which I could not at the time. Four beige colored cedar arrows tipped with Bear Razorhead broadheads and steered by 5" turkey feathers, two white and a red, sat at the ready in my Kwikee Kwiver. To an 11 year old boy it was the coolest and most beautiful thing I had ever laid my eyes on at the time.

When I was 15 years old I made a terrible mistake and traded the Necedah in on a new Ben Pearson Equalizer compound. The guy at the pro shop gave me $15 for the bow as it had a warped lower limb. Fifteen dollars to a kid who’s limited spending money came from a paper route was a lot of money. It wasn't until many years later after I built my first trophy room that I really regretted not having my very first bow to hang on the wall. I searched for several years and never found a used Necedah in decent shape that wasn't too expensive.; not to mention that there were very few of them to be found. I had pretty much given up hope when I happened to mention my dilemma to an old Air Force buddy who was also a hunter. "I have an old recurve I bought from some guy on EBay years ago, Gary Phillips told me. If I can find it in the basement I'll check, but it may actually be a Shakespeare." A month or so later I got a text from Gary. "I don't remember what bow you said you were looking for but this thing is a Shakespeare Necedah. You can have it, I don't ever shoot it." I met Gary for lunch and gripped the bow with my left hand and marveled at how light it was and how good it felt. This bow, like the one I owned 40 years earlier was in remarkably good shape. The Shakespeare logo, the glossy limb finish and even the rest looked remarkably like my old bow. I wished I could remember the serial # of my original but my mind drew a blank. A few weeks later I found the time to hang it on the wall downstairs, near some of my antique collectibles. Against my better judgment I removed it from the pegs and looked the bow string over....it appeared to be in good shape, or good enough for a couple of shots before being retired again. The string appeared to be OK and I carefully checked it up and down, still trying to decide if I was really going to shoot it. The bow string above the loop on the bottom limb caught my eye as it wasn't centered. "Well I'll be danged, this lower limb tip is warped....." No, or could it be, I pondered as a chill ran up my spine. Many people don't believe in Karma, Godwinks, divine intervention or whatever you care to call it. I DO.

So I unstrung the sleek recurve, wiped it down good again and hung it back on the wall. Part of me wanted my last memory of shooting it to be from when I was a wild little boy who woke up every morning of his life with one thing on his mind……shooting his bow and arrow. Mission accomplished ~

26-Jul-22

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo

26-Jul-22

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo

26-Jul-22
nothing like the first one! It took me longer than that to get my first one.

26-Jul-22
Pretty cool!

26-Jul-22
Great story thanks

26-Jul-22
Got to love serendipity! Thanks for sharing a great story.

26-Jul-22
That is a really cool story! Thanks for sharing it.

26-Jul-22
Great story!

26-Jul-22
What a great story. Those are some good bows. I remember seeing those in the stores in the 70s..brand new.

26-Jul-22
Now Im going to have to look at my Shakespear when I get home and see what model it is! Thanks for sharing!

26-Jul-22
Nice story and memory for you. Congratulations to you. Betcha you like having the arrow and the pic of the deer. Great! I also have the arrow and the antlers from my first...but that's a whole 'nother story. Be proud, there's only one "first" for any one of us.

26-Jul-22
I know where one is I think and it was for sale good luck Lewis

26-Jul-22
You can fix that warped limb, PM me and I'll call you and walk you through it

26-Jul-22
By the way I have a 45# Necedah that belongs to my son. I know of at least three young men who took their first big game animal with it.

26-Jul-22
What a good story. Necedah bows were underrated back in the day. still hunting with some of them today and even in the Necedah area that they were named after.

26-Jul-22
That's awesome

27-Jul-22
Danged if that story don't bring back memories...all the details and circumstances are exact right down to trading it on a Ben Pearson compound...only difference was my bow was an Indian. Thanks for posting; they say you can't go back, but your story sure got me close!

27-Jul-22
Thank you gentlemen!!!

27-Jul-22
Nice story. That was my first bow too. Back in 1978 my grandmother bought it for me at a garage sale for $5. It eventually exploded in my hands in 1986. Many years later I found a match to that first one on eBay and have it now.

27-Jul-22
I got a Shakespeare Necedah for Christmas from my mom when I was 14 years old. Man I hunted groundhogs, squirrels, rabbits with that bow. It brings back some great memories. I sold it a number of years later from a Red Wing Slim Line Pro that I still have.

27-Jul-22
I had a Necedah in the 1960's.

27-Jul-22
AAHHH,, a good feel good story for once. That was a neat for that to happen the way it did. I'm glad your bow came home.

27-Jul-22
I owned a Super Necedah back in the 60's. I won a few youth tournaments with that bow. Loaned it to a friend way back when and have lost touch about 15 years back.

27-Jul-22
That was a truly excellent story.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

27-Jul-22
Awesome story, Jasper! I’ll bet it brings a little smile to your face every time you walk by and glance at it.

28-Jul-22
Awesome!! I enjoyed that, thanks for sharing!!

28-Jul-22
Cool story! It’s great that you have the arrow, tag and article from the kill. I killed my first deer at 11 with a .35 Rem, but the picture and newspaper article disappeared long ago. I’m still hoping they’ll turn up someday.

Thanks for sharing the story!

• Sitka Gear