Aftermerle 31-Jul-22
TGbow 31-Jul-22
DanaC 01-Aug-22
TGbow 01-Aug-22
Griz 01-Aug-22
TGbow 01-Aug-22
Aftermerle 02-Aug-22
29-Jul-22
In recent years snake boots has been the norm for turkeys and early season archery hunting. Rattlers are a real concern in my area. My leather zip-off boots are showing fatique after years of rough use in a harsh environment. The recent advent of rubber snake boots by various manufactures had me salivating of a new pair of Lacrosse. Once the snakes are denned up Alpha-Burlys are my boot of choice, which is excellent for me, and my archery hunts. I can slip them on and off without much of an issue. In the early days getting my Lacrosse's off and on was a chore. That is no longer the issue, new designs have made it far more pleasant as of late. This spring I rushed to my local stores to try and secure my new pair of rubber snake boots. Only to discover they would not fit, I went up two sizes to no avail, I refused to even try going up 3 sizes. This week I learned Lacrosse is out with a new and improved rubber snake boot, albeit a might pricey I rushed once more to the store to give them a try convinced the new style would serve my needs. Nope, the left would go, but not the right. At this point I refuse to pay over $200 for a boot that is 3 sizes too big, unless I have no choice of course. I won't know that until I exhaust all other options. As of now I'm opting to give Dryshod Vipers a look, they are a might cheaper. I have ordered 2 sizes to be delivered to a local store hoping one will fit. Now my complaint. Why can't a boot manufacture be more consistent in they products, I understand a size 12 in one boot might prevent a similar fit to another boot with differing features in the same desired size. I wear a size 11, I'm willing to go to 12 and for a snake boot maybe try a 13, but 14? I may just opt to forgo rubber and buy a new pair of Leather zip-offs instead. I good fitting leather boot and a couple of aerosol cans of Nose Jammer might not be has effective as rubber boots, however a man has got to do, what a man has to do.

29-Jul-22
About 6 yrs ago I bought a pair of 18" Lacrosse Mudlite rubber snake boots. I'm still using them, I've patched them up with silicone but still going. They no longer make the 18" Mudlites. From my experience, most of the manufacturers are not true to size. I don't think there are any rubber boots manufactured in the US any longer...sad to say. Here on the Gulf Coast where I hunt I use rubber boots 90% of the time if I want to keep my feet dry. Rattlers and cotton mouths are abundant. I'm curious about the Dryshod snake boots, give us a report if you try them. Good luck

30-Jul-22
I don't understand the problem. Who cares what size is printed/stamped on the boot? Get a pair that fit comfortable and go hunt.

30-Jul-22
Well, one of the problems I've ran into is I order stuff online a lot because I don't have access to certain products. I've ordered the exact same boot before that I previously had and the size would be different. It's something that be dealt with but can be frustrating

30-Jul-22
Well Peco, nothing is wrong with wearing a boot 3 sizes too big if you don't mind walking around all day in clown shoes. I like quality control and consistency, at $219.00 I think that the least I should receive. My first experience with LaCrosse was much the same a boot I had a hard time getting into and once in, getting out was even worse. Thankfully they remedied that, I'm now on my 2nd pair of very comfortable Alpha-Buryl's. Size 11. Size 14? no thanks. If LaCrosse is not concerned about their quality control, then I'm not going to be concerned about product loyalty either. TGBow has it right too, with many of us ordering online then it is even more of a concern. I've ordered things only to find it was undersized. My hard-earned money was spent in good faith and only to receive an inferior product that doesn't fit a teenager. Even on this snake boot issue, I had to order 2 pair in different sizes (Dryshod) in hopes one will fit my needs. If not the store gets the privilege of sending them back, their idea not mine.

30-Jul-22
I ordered some work boots from Keen Boots. They are true to size. It seems a lot of stuff made over seas has a tendency to be hit n miss as far as size goes

30-Jul-22
So you ordered a size 11 and they were way too big, like as big as a size 14. I misunderstood what was going on, my bad.

30-Jul-22
200 bucks is not what it used to be. I wouldn't expect much out of boots at that price point.

31-Jul-22
Not sure why it matters what size is printed on a boot if it fits or why it would matter if you are shopping in-store. Fully appreciate the warning to people who may be buying online.

31-Jul-22
I bought a pair of Bogg boots years ago and they were the best boot I have owned so far. They were inexpensive and lasted for over a decade. Today, I am actually surprised when I buy something that is of impeccable quality; most of my purchases turn out being "the best of what is available", not necessarily "the best period".

31-Jul-22
Does anyone make snake-proof gaiters?

31-Jul-22
I think aftermerle is trying to say is that the foot area of the size 11 would fit his foot but that he can't get his foot through the ankle/upright area of the boot. When he gets a boot large enough to get his foot in, the foot area itself is way too big. The solution may be lace up boots.

31-Jul-22
Thank you A.G. you nailed. If these Dryshods Vipers (12 and 13) come in tomorrow with the same issue. I'll be sending both back and opting for new leather boots with zip sides. Heck, I may even go up to size 12 just for the extra roominess. Sorry for any confusion.

31-Jul-22
DanaC, I know Turtle Skin is a brand that makes snake gaiters. Knight n Hale makes some also.

01-Aug-22
T, I did a search after posting above and there are several brands. I figure, why buy 'specialized' boots when you can get good comfortable boots band add gaiters if/when needed?

Or, if I needed them all the time I sure wouldn't want sloppy-fitting boots giving me lousy ankle support and blisters.

jmo-ymmv

01-Aug-22
Dana, I've considered the same thing. Although I wear rubber boots 90% of the time due to the wet areas I hunt..Iguess the gaiters would still work with rubber boots. I wish Lacrosse still made the 18" Mudlite snake boots like I have. This is the 6th or 7th season with mine and they been patched up..but still usable.

01-Aug-22
Gaitors and boots are great but be carefull walking in drywash bottoms where there is a small bank, usually lined with sage brush. I was on an antelope stalk in Wyoming and was following a friend up a dry wash when I got hit on my kneecap. We believe my friend going past alarmed the snake and when I followed 15 feet behind he struck. Never saw him, no rattle. He struck two inches above the gaitor and hit hard bone. I was extremely lucky it was not an inch higher. I did not realize what happend other than feeling like I got hit by a ballpeen hammer on my knee until after the stalk when I looked at my knee and saw the fang marks. I never got sick but did have an ongoing ache in my knee and leg for about ten days. My point being that don't count on them being at ground level!!

01-Aug-22
Good point Grizz..I've seen moccasins up in the bushes in the swampy areas. Never know. Glad it wasn't worse for you.

02-Aug-22
My boot issue has been solved. The Dryshod Viperstops came into the store, I scurried over and tried first the size 13. My foot slid right in and down. So, what the heck, why not give the 12's a shot. Well shut the front door, my foot slid in easily and back out. Dryshod Viperstops won the day, and they're $40 cheaper too. Shame on you Lacrosse.

• Sitka Gear