craigmcalvey 05-Aug-22
nchunter 05-Aug-22
carcus 06-Aug-22
groundhunter50 06-Aug-22
TGbow 06-Aug-22
groundhunter50 06-Aug-22
TGbow 06-Aug-22
02-Aug-22
I’m sure it’s been hashed out here multiple times but I can’t figure out the search function. Looking for base layers for November and December in temps 0-35. Leaning heavyweight merino wool and would like to hear what the consensus on the “best” out there.

Craig

02-Aug-22
I've been very happy with my First lite furnace base layers.

02-Aug-22
I've worn thin merino under a fleece type long john in bitter temps before. The fleece types really keep in warmth but do not breath so I wear merino under them if possible.

02-Aug-22
I had to edit. I’m just the opposite. I use a light polyester fleece or smooth wicking shirt against the skin. A mid weight to light moisture wicking fleece over it upto a 200 weight. Then a 250 merino. I’m good to pretty dang cold if I’m moving at all.

I can be sweated up. The add on layers heat and let everything breath. While staying toasty warm. It’s the best system I’ve found for cold weather.

02-Aug-22
These are the best I have found. Come in different weights. On sale now at Cabby Land.

Cabela's E.C.W.C.S. Heavyweight Base Layer Quarter-Zip Long-Sleeve Pullover for Men Clearance $34.97 $69.99 Save $35.02

02-Aug-22
My vote is Smartwhool. Love that stuff, merino whool then my regular hunting pants and if need be an outer shell like bibs or rain pants if I need a wind breaker. I hunt from a tree stand 90% of the time and a saddle the rest. You REALLY have to plan things out prior to saddle hunting. Not nearly the room to change or add clothing compared to stand hunting.

02-Aug-22
wilbur x2. i like the cabela's heavy weight base layer bottoms and tops. good stuff. well-made and warm.

i owned one merino top some time ago. if i recall it was first lite. wore it once and put it on the goodwill pile. never could get used to the weird feeling of merino and i always felt wet. it didn't seem to keep me warm or remove moisture from the skin. maybe the newer stuff is better.

edit: for the next layer over the base, i really like the kuiu peloton 200. i have the one with the hood and unless you are sitting for extended periods in really cold temperature , i'm amazed at how warm i can stay with the base, mid layer kuiu peloton 200, and a light-weight vest like the sitka mountain vest. i really like this set-up and it works for me in a wide range of temperature and activity.

02-Aug-22
i like minus 33,

02-Aug-22
Very pleased with my Cabela’s base layers mentioned above, but my only cold weather hunting is in KS/MO.

02-Aug-22
For really cold, I like a lightweight merino short sleeve T next to skin. I then wear 250 weight merino top and bottom OR under armor base 2.0 series (similar to the cabelas stuff mentioned above). Then, on top of that add an old set of the cabelas mtp polar weight. Base layers. They are double sided fleece that really holds the heat well.

02-Aug-22
I've got a thick Cabelas base layer is best I've ever used and it makes a huge difference. I don't think it's the ECWS stuff as I got some of that for my wife. It isn't waffled. It's light as a feather, wicks well and just insane warm. Been using it like 10+ years. Canada Prairie colds.

02-Aug-22
I’m thinking I’ve got the same stuff that APauls is talking about. (Polar Fleece) Of course Cabelas discontinued it, but I bought a few extra sets of it. It is the bomb! You definitely don’t want to do anything strenuous while wearing it. I wear a merino base layer next my skin, then the Polar Fleece, and if it’s extremely cold , I’ll wear the merino base layer, my Kuiu puffy top and bottom, then the Polar Fleece over that. It helps to muffle the puffy gear.

02-Aug-22
Wish we could still get that Cabelas fleece!

My go to for 20-40 is silk against the skin, then lightweight merino base to a FL “ Kiln” layer, then with a Icon heated core vest from Pnuma for all day sits. ( Spare batteries of course. :)

Below 20 is a much different set up for me.

02-Aug-22
First of all, don’t believe anything you hear from Manitoba. ;) Here is some advice from Saskatchewan … get a quality, high percentage merino blend - like 80% or so. Heavyweight. Wear it next to the skin, under a synthetic (fleece) mid layer.

02-Aug-22
I believe the Scheels’s base layers may be close?

02-Aug-22
I wear multiple layers of Merino and synthetics as conditions dictate. More thin layers equals more trapped warm air, vs a couple thicker layers. Also easier to manage as the day warms up. Then a fleece layer over the top. But -20 is about as cold as I've hunted so my experience is limited. YMMV

02-Aug-22
The Old Cabelas heavyweght polar fleece top and bottoms are awesome. Dont know why they discontinued it but I have couple pair. Just ordered the heavyweight set that’s on sale for 50% off. Should be good for the rest of my time .

03-Aug-22
Wish w could still get that Cabelas fleece!

My go to for 20-40 is silk against the skin, then lightweight merino base to a FL “ Kiln” layer, then with a Icon heated core vest from Pnuma for all day sits. ( Spare batteries of course. :)

Below 20 is a much different set up for me.

03-Aug-22
+ 4 or 5 or whatever on the older Cabelas base layers. I like both the polar weight (MCS) and the ECWCS (have 2 hoodies). Based on quality of more recent offerings, I'm not sure I would still put it as high on the priority list.

03-Aug-22
I'm sure they discontinued it because the quality/cost ratio was too high... dead serious. They can't keep selling you more junk that way.

03-Aug-22
Back before Bass Pro bought out Cabela's, the Cabela's branded gear was very good. The Alaskan Guide stuff as well as their Extreme Stand Hunter, and ECWS gear was as good as anything out there.

Sadly, it's all crap now.

That being said, I currently really like my First Lite Furnace baselayers for the coldest of days. I also own some lighter weight Smartwool and Icebreaker merino that is really nice. I find the Icebreaker to be a little better made than Smartwool.

03-Aug-22
The best deal I have found is at Costco. They carry some nice 32 degree base layers and you can't beat the price. Just picked up a down version that super thin and warm and they should be stocking base layer gear soon. Also, their gloves are worth checking out too. Keep your eye open and grab it up when it's out.

03-Aug-22
Hey buddy here in Manitoba we need to sit in a tree and keep moving stands we're not sitting in a warm cozy blind on a bait pile ;) In all seriousness like others have mentioned I think it was called Cabelas Polar Fleece. Man that stuff is the bomb. Is it not sold anymore?

03-Aug-22
I find that synthetics against the skin get smelly quick. This is why the banjo bowl always smells of b.o. Stinky Bomber fans wearing blue and gold polar fleece. :)

03-Aug-22
Be very sure you are fully hydrated as your best blood circulation is dependent on enough fluids. I prefer a base layer of merino wool and layers above that of mostly fleece and sometimes an additional layer of wool. Don't forget a neck gaiter, especially if you are wearing a treestand harness, and ArcticShield boot covers.

03-Aug-22
Bahahaha. Odd time to bring up the Bombers...8-0 looking for the threepeat...

03-Aug-22
It’s not the Bombers that smell - just the fans :) Labour Day is coming - but I’ll be bugling in bc …

Just jokes - my MB ties are many. From HappyRock to Elkhorn, lotsa Bombers in my circle.

04-Aug-22
Cut the sleeves off an old light or mid-weight thermal shirt, makes an inexpensive 'core vest' under your other layers. Adds zero bulk on the arms but buys you a couple degrees of warmth where it counts.

04-Aug-22
Anyone used the First Lite Furnace series? If so, where does it fit into your entire layering system?

04-Aug-22
If I'm sitting, Merino Wool...Moving, synthetics.... Usually Sitka!

04-Aug-22
wv- I think furnace is similar to the former expedition series which I have...for me it's so warm that I rarely use it and only for rare late season stupidly cold treestand sits with short walks. I can't walk much without sweating too much in the expedition

04-Aug-22
Wv I have the FTL furnace base layers. Like BUCKeye said they are ridiculously warm and only for long cold sits and if there's much walking at all you have to carry them in and dress before getting in the stand. Honestly for me here in Oklahoma there overkill probably only used the a half dozen times in 2 years. A guy in midwest or the north might get more use out fo them.

04-Aug-22
Thanks Guys! Just what I was looking for.

05-Aug-22
Thanks all

05-Aug-22
Minus 33 is great quality and I can get talls..I hate thumbhole sleeves on any of them

06-Aug-22
I've had minus 33 for around 10 years, maybe more, great stuff, I wear light followed by medium followed by heavy, I use it moose hunting as well as deer, i dont even take it off during the whole 2 week hunt

06-Aug-22
I am going to assume that you are hunting in cold conditions on the move, and not so much sitting in one place. I am a fan of light weight for my base layer, and use silk long under wear, that is almost impossible to get anymore..... Becuase it wicks away moisture so well,,,,,,,,,, However, I took a tip from a skin diver. I bought a one piece light material, body suit. Divers wear it, so they can slip on their wet suit easier,,,, That item, has kept me very warm, as my base layer......... I dress very lite, and then wear my HBS, but I sit alot

06-Aug-22
We don't have a lot of cold weather that's consistent here.

Usually thermals and pants is all I need. Sometimes I break out the insulated bibs but end up sheding them before noon. I'd like to hear what some yal fellas from up north wear as far as socks. I've tried the heavy duty socks but I think they are worse in some ways.

06-Aug-22
I spray my feet with dry scent free deodarant.... then I use poly propolene sock to wick away moisture. I stay away from heavy socks, and use alpalca wool socks, superior for keeping out the cold,,,,,, this is for late season, in the UP,,,,, so I know cold.... not all feet are created equal, and yes I am more comfortable in the cold, than hot weather,,,,,,

my last antelope hunt was just a heat killer

06-Aug-22
Michael, must be something to the Alpaca wool. I have a couple pairs medium weight Alpaca wool socks..they do seem to work good I just need to get a couple more pairs. For a long time I was wearing the thick socks but I agree with you on the thick socks. I was raised on the Gulf Coast most my life and I still hate hot humid weather.

• Sitka Gear