SBH 07-Aug-22
SBH 07-Aug-22
Bake 07-Aug-22
Zim 08-Aug-22
Jaquomo 08-Aug-22
GhostBird 08-Aug-22
Zim 08-Aug-22
06-Aug-22
So at 62, this season I decided to experiment with incorporating an ebike to my elk hunt. Just ordered one. Too many injuries to my feet in particular. Latest being a partially torn Achilles. I’ve never even used an ATV previously. Always just on foot, often backpacking. Now trying to equip myself for transporting my bow while biking. I’ve read several online articles. In the past I had several Midwest hunts where I used front handlebar forks on my hybrid bike. Even on tame gravel trails the vibration shook arrows out of my quiver. Looking for advice on how some of you have dealt with this. I want to be set up for both run & gun stalks and carrying my Lone Wolf Assault climber for some situations. Typically I have used a Fanny pack and carried my climber on my back. But ordered a platform so I can try transporting treestand on my bike rack this time. I expect I’ll need to experiment with what works best. Jaquomo told me he only carries on his back, using an Alps Traverse X Extreme backpack. It looks larger than what I’m used to but securing my bow & arrows while riding is a priority. Curious how your setup has worked. Thanks.

06-Aug-22
Like Lou, I strap my bow to my daypack. I figure it’s less likely to sustain damage in case of a crash. I used my e-bike at least 25 out of 28 days on my 2020 elk hunt. It was the ideal means of transportation on that hunt.

Matt

06-Aug-22
I've been "practicing" this same thing lately. The pack might be how I wind up, but the sling was not horrible either. I don't feel like a rack is going to not jostle things around, so even though I had intentions on making a bow holder, I've backed away from that thought. Now mind you, I'm not biking in the mountains. I'm using mine to ride from my house to where I deer hunt, but it's rough terrain once I'm off road.

06-Aug-22
Not sure how it will work as I haven't tried it yet. I am going to bungee my pack and my recurve to the rear rack. Letting the extra length hang off the rear of the bike. I guess a trailer would be ideal but don't have one yet.

06-Aug-22
Bowbaker, I tried your idea and found it very difficult to secure my pack and bow tight enough to the rack without crushing the contents of my pack.

If you come up with a suitable solution, please post it. Thanks.

Matt

06-Aug-22
Well one nice thing is I can devote all four weeks to this hunt so I will have time to experiment many setups. Even during one full week of pre-hunt scouting.

07-Aug-22
I've been contemplating this as well. I'm only planning to use my bike on my whitetail hunts, which means short, relitively smooth trips, but I still need to attach my recurve and clothes bag,

If I come up with something insightful I'll post it.

07-Aug-22
In farm country where it is relatively flat I've strapped my bow, pack, etc on a small trailer. In rough mountain country, I like the pack carry method best.

07-Aug-22
I have a gator grip bow/rifle holder on my ebike. Works great for the rifle and a compound. Not so great for the longbow.

07-Aug-22
https://mountaineastebike.com/collections/gun-bow-holder/products/gator-gripp-hd-rack?variant=38099875496112

07-Aug-22
Mine is for mostly whitetail in rocky ridgy terrain. I strap it to my pack. Safest thing going through brush and up and down rocky ridges. If I’m not carrying a pack I will use a sling. But I prefer just strapping it to my pack.

08-Aug-22
Was watching an elk scouting video last night and saw something that may work for me. Guy had a saddle bag type pouch straddling the rear carry rack, with his bow quiver inside there, arrow vanes sticking up. I ordered one of those bags with my ebike. So when it arrives I'll assemble it and see if that holds it secure, and if I could still fit the rear platform for my climber. If so, that setup may do it for me, if I could fit my climber on the platform. That would take care of my biggest concern, the quiver & arrow vibration. I do need to get a good backpack with straps for my bow, and shopping for that. Will take a run to Bass Pro to view what they have in stock.

Q: Does anyone use a backpack with one of the drop down pouches to rest the bottom cam (or rifle stock) in? I'm curious if that gets in the way while pedaling.

08-Aug-22
Yes, that drop down cam pouch is what I use, and it doesn't get in the way. The height is adjustable so the bow rides at whatever height I want it to be.

08-Aug-22
I put a bow/gun holder on my ebike handlebars and have used it to transport my bow short distances to/from stands, however I will be using a bow sling or strapped to the daypack from now on. Even with the front suspension on my bike and travelling relatively smooth/moderate terrain, the bow gets rattled and beat to death. I won't even use the holder to transport a scoped rifle. Works fine for fishing rods or a shovel, etc. I don't like subjecting my bow or guns to such a rough ride.

08-Aug-22
Thanks Lou, I thought the adjustable feature would allow for clearance. I’m buying a lightweight daypack, plus shopping for a full size with frame and may do that one you use.

• Sitka Gear