wilbur 08-Aug-22
Sam 08-Aug-22
Zebrakiller 09-Aug-22
glidingindian 10-Aug-22
shakey 13-Aug-22
Shawn 13-Aug-22
TonyBear 13-Aug-22
07-Aug-22
Ok, I had my left hip replaced last August, my right needs to be done as well. My question is who has had hip injections under X-ray?? I am curious as to how long the relief lasts. Will it get me through a couple months?? I am now the bionic man, two total shoulder replacements and a hip replacement. Gotta go for the grandslam but trying to hold off!! Thanks! Shawn

07-Aug-22
Wish I could help you Shawn..I've been cut 3 times but hadn't had the hip deal..as of yet. Hope you get it worked out. Good luck

07-Aug-22
I’ve had the shots, the first one lasted approximately 6 months. Second one about 4 months and the third 1 month. Got my hip replaced in February and was doing great, in may I slipped in the shower and now it looks like they are going to have to open me up again. Thank goodness I didn’t draw any tags this year.

07-Aug-22
Dang Shakey..you've had a rough time. God speed for your recovery

07-Aug-22
Totally unpredictable. It could last a day or could last six months ,but 1-2 months is average. You should know that infection rate is slightly higher in hips that have been injected even if the hip replacement is a few months later

07-Aug-22
I have done the injections in the bursa but its nut the same as the joint. My surgeon says most folks get a couple months at least. He said with me being bone on bone with nothing left, they may last only a short time. I have 3 tags for out west and I hurt so bad it will be miserable to hunt. Shawn

07-Aug-22
Thanks TG, what really sucks is I’m only 44 and had to get it done. The good thing about the shot is that it was instant relief.

07-Aug-22
I’m not a doctor, just an X-ray tech. Been in on a lot of injections and as stated there’s no way to predict how much/how long you might benefit from an injection. If you’re bone on bone you’re just buying time if you get any relief. Might be worth a role of the dice to try to get a few hunts in, but as you said you may be miserable doing it. Best of luck to you!

07-Aug-22
To delay having T.H.R. I had shots. First time was good for almost a full year. Second one lasted just over four months. Having had the surgery has been the best. Eight years and still no pain. Physical therapy is a must for 100% satisfaction. Maintaining proper weight assures better long time results.

08-Aug-22
My dad (87) had a hip injection under XRay this spring. So far so good.

08-Aug-22
Don't do the injection unless you are willing to wait 3 months to have the hip replaced.

Once you do the injection it increases the likely hood of infection so you have to wait 3 months to pass until they will do the surgical procedure.

Get the hip replaced and be done with it.

08-Aug-22
The surgery works Trying to get a surgery date now for my wife’s second replacement, it’s a miracle procedure.

09-Aug-22
Shawn good luck I hope all goes well and you are up and running in no time.

10-Aug-22
Unlike much of the medical advice on Bowsite the comments here all very accurate. Sam, Wilbur , Xman, shakey, gator, deer hunter all had different but common experiences that cover the spectrum. These responses show, as bonehead said, totally unpredictable. Most surgeons wait a minimum of three months after steroid injections before a total hip replacement, some longer. My 2 cents having done total hips for 30 years… 1) best major surgery in all of orthopaedics. But not without risks. Many are done now as outpatient or one night stay due to improvements in surgery but especially anesthesia. 2) many factors such as age, overall health, fitness, motivation, quality of therapy and skill of surgeon play a role. 3) newer not always better . Cannot tell you how many patients didn’t want a standard THA and chose the newest, coolest, more expensive route because they saw it on the internet or read about it in some article. Didn’t end well. Look no further than metal on metal hip disasters ( I have some , regrettably) hylamer liners etc. My THA will be a prosthesis that has been around a while with a proven track record. 4) many recover quickly, when are your hunts? Have had patients do bird hunts, golf etc in less than a month. Most need longer though. In my experience the second hip surgery similar result to first which should give you reasonable idea what to expect after last August. 5) most importantly how good are these tags and how tough are these hunts? CAn you get refunds, points back etc? An intra articular injection might get you thru 2-6 mos, might not.. if you can’t reschedule I would take the gamble with a shot, if you can I would get surgery over with and reschedule hunts.

6) can you donate any of these tags for free , online orthopedic medical advice to some a…hole you don’t know?

Good luck whatever you do , please post pics if you make any/ all of your hunts !

13-Aug-22
My new hip is a dual mobility one, I don’t no much about it but they said it was better for active lifestyle. Something to ask about maybe it’s a option for you also.

13-Aug-22
Sorry I am hitting the road. I am waiting for a call. If my surgeon can replace it this weds. I am gonna do it. He said I can start hunting 10 days after surgery as long as I am careful. If not I will get 2 separate injections. One in the bursa and one under X-ray in the joint. I will miss my first hunt but I will be in Nebraska for the opener!! Thanks! Shawn

13-Aug-22
Talk to the docotr but as a testimonial I was bowhuntg and drug one out two months after my first Birmingham resurfacing, was skiing down hill 10 weeks after my second one.

The interesting thing is they do squeak every once in a while. Kinda eirie in the woods. My kids heard it for the first time while climbing the hills at Bowfest this year.

• Sitka Gear