jjs 13-Aug-22
'Ike' (Phone) 13-Aug-22
sitO 13-Aug-22
EmbryOklahoma 14-Aug-22
Shawn 14-Aug-22
Gun 15-Aug-22
Brotsky 16-Aug-22
12-Aug-22
So… I had shoulder/rotator cuff surgery (left arm), 3 weeks ago and I’m looking for a left handed bow, and preferably one with lighter poundage. I was thinking of the 45-50 pound range.

My questions are… what weight would you go with, and what type of mouth tab/release would work with this? I’m normally right handed. No, I don’t want a crossbow. Recurve or modern compound only. What are your thoughts?

Also, I know Dwight Schuh did it once I believe and I’m sure others. Just looking for knowledge on this from others.

12-Aug-22
Ron Niziolek has used a mouth tab.

12-Aug-22
Ron Niziolek also had shoulder surgery last year and used my daughter’s left handed compound to hunt bears. It wasn’t pretty but he got it done.

13-Aug-22
Like I told you before, I’d be happy to loan you one of my lefty bows, but they’re all way to heavy poundage for what would work for your situation.

How’s the shoulder coming along?

13-Aug-22
I think Tom Foss used one while convalescing once.....don't know if it was left handed.....but he still might have valuable tips/hints.

13-Aug-22
I’ll reach out to Ron. I totally forgot about him doing that. I guess draw length has just as much to do with it as well. Maybe I can find the old thread too.

Troy, It’s doing pretty good. Still pretty sore. 2nd round of PT starts Monday. The exercises are definitely making it work and I feel it the next day. Thanks Jake, I’ll take all the pointers I can get right now. I just want to be able to hunt this fall, with a bow, one way or another.

13-Aug-22

Shug's Link
I shot low 40# and used a nylon strap tied to the string. I also remember having an issue with the sight so I had to turn the housing over to get the correct windage

https://www.facebook.com/mark.kronyak/videos/10157577707411767/?fs=e&s=cl

13-Aug-22
Remi Warren did this last year. I believe he has a video or two showing his setup. Best of luck on your recovery.

13-Aug-22
I’ll look into Remis situation as well, Thank you!

This all just to have a backup plan in case I can’t shoot my right handed bows, at lower poundage, by late October. It’s driving me nuts not being able to shoot. I haven’t shot a bow since late March/early April at the TAC here in Oklahoma. It’s killing me!

13-Aug-22
Rick I did it a few years ago after breaking a bone in shoulder. Your draw length will be shorter. Probably a inch or so. You can pull more weight than you would think around 50lbs is about where you would want to be. I used a piece of nylon rope through the D loop biting down with teeth in back/side of mouth. It is shocking a true surprise the first few time you relax your mouth and fire the bow. But once you have the hang of it you can be surprisingly accurate. I never hunted with it as I broke shoulder in January and was good shoot normally by hunting season.

13-Aug-22
We are fortunate enough to have Jeff Fabry live near me. Taught myself and my oldest girls. He lost an arm as a teen and has used a mouth tab for a long time. 4 Paralympic medals for archery. I can get you his contact info if you would like, as I am sure there are likely other things to consider or be made aware of aside from the mouth tab choice.

13-Aug-22
I’m thinking you’ll be fine. I was shooting/hunting with lower poundage after 3 months. Good luck

13-Aug-22
We are fortunate enough to have Jeff Fabry live near me. Taught myself and my oldest girls. He lost an arm as a teen and has used a mouth tab for a long time. 4 Paralympic medals for archery. I can get you his contact info if you would like, as I am sure there are likely other things to consider or be made aware of aside from the mouth tab choice.

13-Aug-22
I know a guy that had an oral surgeon make a mouth piece and attached the release head to it. He would take his bad arm to trigger it.

13-Aug-22
Thanks guys! I’ve got plenty to ponder. I just want to shoot and it’s killing me. Guess I need to slow down and continue with the PT. The 16th will be 4 weeks and the progression has been good. Continually doing my home exercises and icing. I’ll stay on track in hopes of shooting one of my bows by November-ish.

If anyone has photos of what they used for the mouth release, I’d like to see them.

13-Aug-22
John Dudley hunted with a mouth release. I think he could help u.

13-Aug-22

JohnMC's Link
Here is a video on making one. Similar to what I did. His material is wider than mine and I attached to D-lope. No doubt this guy knows more than I.

13-Aug-22
Gun (Gunner Lemke) on the Leahterwall has been using a mouth tab shooting his recurve, have taken deer, give him a pm on the LW.

13-Aug-22
I could send you one of my ‘Lefty’s’! 50-60#

13-Aug-22
Rick, you might reach out to Drew or Bob McCartney with the KBA...Drew's been hunting for several years with a mouth tab, good guys!

14-Aug-22
Thank you guys for all of the advice. I appreciate you guys.

14-Aug-22
My last total shoulder replacement I was shooting 60#s at 6 weeks. Rehab properly and don't rush bur I would think you will be ready just shoot light weight. 40-45#s with a compound is more than enough. Keep the shots 25 and under and put it behing the shoulder and you can kill anything in NA. Shawn

15-Aug-22
I used Jeff Fabry's YouTube videos to learn how and set up the tab. He has a special video on how to do that. It took me about a month to get good. I have ongoing nerve issues as well so I can only shoot 6-8 arrows at a time then my nerves start twitching and my accuracy goes down hill. I had shoulder surgery in March to repair 2 torn tendons (one complete) Rehab is going very well but I'm going to shoot a mouth tab this season. I don't want to take a chance until the full 12 months (recovery) is up.

I hunt close. 15 yds is a long shot for me. I'm in a 3" bull with every arrow until the nerves start. Good Luck!

16-Aug-22
I've got a couple 40# lefty's sitting around Rick. Short draw though, like 24".

• Sitka Gear