Woods Walker 16-Aug-22
Jims 16-Aug-22
Jordan 16-Aug-22
Sivart 17-Aug-22
Treeline 17-Aug-22
Bowboy 17-Aug-22
JohnMC 17-Aug-22
14-Aug-22
My wife and I are planning to relocate from Neb to WY this winter. We have narrowed it down to two areas, as we have to stay fairly close to the Eastern side.

It's either the Saratoga area, or Wheatland area.

Of the two, which has better hunting opportunities? I realize that elk tags are nearly impossible in unit 7. But what about mule deer, antelope, turkey, and grouse?

Prefer one area over the other? Thanks in advance.

14-Aug-22
Of those two choices, definitely Saratoga

14-Aug-22
Agreed

14-Aug-22
Wheatland is such a boring area. Definitely Saratoga.

14-Aug-22
I drove thru Wheatland today. Sure glad the speed limit was 80 ;)

14-Aug-22
Saratoga would be my choice. There’s more public land around. Antelope is a a little tougher because you have to draw. You’ll have to go some place else for turkeys since Saratoga doesn’t have any that I know of. Housing will be cheaper in Wheatland but Saratoga is better for deer and elk. There’s also great fishing in the area around Saratoga.

14-Aug-22
You might want to go to (areavibes.com) good info and Saratoga looks very good.

14-Aug-22
You might want to go to (areavibes.com) good info and Saratoga looks very good. Not much for sale around there tho.

14-Aug-22
I think I'd like it in Wyoming. Good luck with your move.

14-Aug-22
It's not the town of wheatland that appeals to me. It's the public hunting just West of town that's appealing.

14-Aug-22
Only a 2.5 hour drive from Saratoga to Wheatland.

14-Aug-22
Idaho. Seriously!

14-Aug-22
Depends. If you like wind…Wheatland has it. Wheatland also wins on goose hunting and Grayrocks Res. is great for walleye and bass. If you like trout fishing…Saratoga all day. Saratoga also wins for Forest Service access. I moved up WY from NE 21 years ago. No plans to ever move back!

14-Aug-22
Have to stay close to Neb. Kids

14-Aug-22
Saratoga would be my pick also. Besides the hunting and the gorgeous country, the headwaters of the North Platte run right by it, and when I lived in Laramie we'd raft it.

But that said, I had a friend who was from Chugwater, which is near Wheatland, and we did a bunch of Mule deer hunting in those canyons and it was awesome. But then again, the WHOLE STATE is awesome!!!

It was on one of those Chugwater hunts that I ate my first rattlesnake......tastes like chicken!

14-Aug-22
Torrington then!

14-Aug-22
Not really tons of public hunting just west of Wheatland other than Laramie Peak area. Area 6 elk is hard access, mostly private. The NF between Laramie and Cheyenne is LQ for elk and deer. Some scattered public sections west of Wheatland along 34 but they get hunted hard by locals and some NRs. Saratoga can be isolated in winter. No big box shopping. Folks are great, some money in town. Better public access for hunting I think. No turkeys but they can be hunted within 2 hrs of Saratoga or so.

15-Aug-22
Torrington over Wheatland for sure. But likely hard to beat Saratoga. The wind in Wheatland drive my wife and I nuts when we lived near there many years ago.

15-Aug-22
Saratoga!!!!!! Not even close

15-Aug-22
Saratoga all day everyday. Plenty of opportunities to fish, hunt antelope, deer and general elk nearby when you don't hit the limited elk draw. Not sure how far you need to go in Nebraska, but Saratoga is about 3 1/2 hours from Sidney. A bit farther in the winter when WY130 is closed.

15-Aug-22
So is the wind worse in Wheatland or Torrington? They seem fairly close to one another.

16-Aug-22
Grew up in Casper, the wind in wyoming will drive you nuts after awhile. Some tolerate it longer then others, but it will happen.

I don't know how hard it is to draw unit 7 or others for elk as a resident, but they issue a boatload of tags. You might look into that.

Towns - Saratoga, hands down.

16-Aug-22

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Woods Walker's embedded Photo

16-Aug-22
Even though Saratoga is a nicer town and area it is pretty darn isolated for shopping. It's probably about an hour drive to Rawlins if the weather is good. Wheatland would have pretty much everything you need in town and it's not too terribly far to Cheyenne. If you don't mind a tiny town that is fairly remote I'd pick Saratoga. Wheatland is around 3,800 people while Saratoga only has around 1,800. If you like to be closer to civilization you may want to go with Wheatland.

You may want to take a look at real estate? I doubt if there is much to choose from in Saratoga?

In regard to hunting, there is great hunting and fishing around both towns.

16-Aug-22
Bella's Bistro in Saratoga is reason enuf

17-Aug-22
Jims,

My thoughts exactly. I would be fine with a town like Saratoga. But the wife and kids will want more stuff to do in town. Which is why Wheatland comes to mind. I won't live in Cheyenne.

17-Aug-22
Look at Centennial. Not much for sale there but close enough to Laramie for town and far enough away to have elbow room. The snowy range is nice and lots of fishing around.

17-Aug-22
I know of a builder who I helped build the road for 6 new lots above Centennial.

17-Aug-22
Casper is not a bad town.

• Sitka Gear