muliemad 28-Aug-22
Ken Taylor 28-Aug-22
elkster 28-Aug-22
fubar racin 28-Aug-22
ahunter76 28-Aug-22
17-Aug-22

Brun's embedded Photo
Brun's embedded Photo
I love everything about this picture. The VW, the tie down job. I'm amazed it didn't crush the bug while getting it secured. Also this is taken downtown in a now crowded mountain town. It was taken approx. 1965. Any guesses on which town? I'll post the answer after some guesses.

17-Aug-22
Jackson WY.

17-Aug-22
Great pic !

Reminds me of my first successful elk hunt in CO, drove back to NorCal with 2 elk (quartered), in the back hatch of a Toyota Tercel. We were sitting low in the back, lol

17-Aug-22
Vail, CO

17-Aug-22
Jackson, Wy. Great pic.

17-Aug-22
Guess Vail as well.

17-Aug-22
My guess is Eagle Vail. The building in the background looks like the one that is on HWY 6 near I70 exchange. The hills in the back ground look familiar too.

17-Aug-22
Altoona PA ?

17-Aug-22

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
This isn't the pic of my Father's Jeep, but it's very similar. We hauled a bunch of elk off the mountain in the same way. Boy, I miss those days.

Matt

17-Aug-22
Nice pic and good bull.

17-Aug-22
Loaded to the max

17-Aug-22
No guess on the town but love the pics!

17-Aug-22
I guess you do what you have to do.

17-Aug-22

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo

17-Aug-22
Afton, WY?

17-Aug-22
What year is the VW? We had one older that my brother made into a dune buggy we used for hunting. Would go most places that a quad can go. Can you give us a hint as to which state that town is in? That buck narrows it down a bit (Colorado had some dandy bucks in those days) but can't read the license plates. It does look familiar but can't place it.

17-Aug-22
Bozeman.

17-Aug-22
Badbull. I'm not sure of the year of the VW. I think early 60's. As for a hint I'll say that no one has guessed right yet. Also a little history for those that guessed Vail. Vail resort was started in 1962 and incorporated as a town in 1966. A year after this picture was taken. There was no previously existing town on the site. The town in the picture was founded as a mining camp in 1878.

17-Aug-22
Leadville, CO

17-Aug-22
badbull,

Pssstt.......that's not a "buck" :)

17-Aug-22
It's not Leadville. Another hint. This town is home to the Smuggler Mine, where the largest silver nugget ever mined was found. It weighed 1840 pounds and was 93% pure silver.

17-Aug-22
Aspen

17-Aug-22
We have a winner. As JohnMC has indicated, this picture was indeed taken in the once sleepy mining town of Aspen, CO

17-Aug-22
Congratulations! The Smuggler mine gave it away…

That was a popular building style in Colorado in the 60’s. My first job was in a building like that! Know of several like that in Denver, Colorado Springs and Boulder…

18-Aug-22
I knew the architecture looked familiar - more likely that I recognized it from something in Denver, though it’s possible that I have been on that very street in Aspen…. But probably not in the past 50 years….

18-Aug-22
Wish I had gotten a picture of it, but back in the early 80's in Kremmling we were getting gas when a Dodge Duster pulled up to the bar next door with a bull elk about the size of the one Bowboy posted on the roof. Each leg was tied to each corner of the cars bumpers. I'm sure there was lots of beers being bought in that bar. I thought that was crazy, but the VW & Jeep are wild.

18-Aug-22
Great pics. Post some more

18-Aug-22

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Here’s a pic only a few years ago outside my old office window in Meeker, my old truck at City Hall and some hunters were going next door to Bill’s shop- taxidermy shop…

19-Aug-22
Mathewsman - Wow that's quite the haul for that group of hunters!

19-Aug-22
My favorite pic is the one bowboy posted above! : )

19-Aug-22
Riverton

28-Aug-22

Bbowhunt 's embedded Photo
Muile Buck on Cherokee in 1999. CO
This brought back a memory of a 1999 rifle hunt (been bow for elk ever since) near Gunnison CO. Guide Norm (orange cowboy hat) to my surprise had us throw my mulie on top of the Cherokee. I used my Remington 760 3006 pump to prop up the caving-in roof on the way back to camp. I've forgot the names of the fellow hunters in the picture. Great memory for sure. Heading to the Routt this year . Good luck to all.

28-Aug-22

This brought back a memory of a 1999 rifle hunt (been bow for elk ever since) near Gunnison CO. Guide Norm (orange cowboy hat) to my surprise had us throw my mulie on top of the Cherokee. I used my Remington 760 3006 pump to prop up the caving-in roof on the way back to camp. I've forgot the names of the fellow hunters in the picture. Great memory for sure. Heading to the Routt this year . Good luck to all.

28-Aug-22
Missoula

28-Aug-22
Great pictures!

Is that Macho Man?

28-Aug-22
Enjoying the pics. They make quite a statement in many ways.

28-Aug-22
I wish I still had the pic but it was lost to flooding. My old man and grandad with 2 bucks and 2 bulls in a bronco II. I Fort Collins co

28-Aug-22

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
Mine is in front of my shop/lanes 1966 & a 6 point on top my car taken with a recurve on the late season opener at Wisconsin's famous (back then) Necedah Wildlife Refuge (Meadow Valley area). Non Resident lic back then was "I think" $10...

• Sitka Gear