Jebediah 20-Aug-22
APauls 20-Aug-22
JDM 21-Aug-22
scentman 21-Aug-22
Lewis 21-Aug-22
timex 21-Aug-22
APauls 21-Aug-22
17-Aug-22
I’m about to make my first venison jerky and any good recipes will be appreciated I want it to be fairly soft and I’ll be using hickory in an electric smoker.The venison will be in 1/4 inch strips. Thanks and Good luck Lewis

17-Aug-22

APauls's Link
I absolutely love this recipe only I use garlic powder not cloves of garlic because I don't like the chunks. I also cut red pepper flakes in half for how I like it, even less than that for my family. Depending how much heat you want, the recipe will have some fire. Being that your meat is thin, you certainly do not need to marinade 8-24 hours. A few hours is good. I've done it both ways.

17-Aug-22
I use a very similar recipe as APauls. I use a little less red pepper and brown sugar and a little more black pepper. All preference of course. I use the restaurant or cafe grind pepper. I think they also call it 16 mesh. Pretty popular in the BBQ world and similar to what the top brands use in their peppered jerky recipe.

17-Aug-22
Thanks guys looking forward to doing this Good luck Lewis

19-Aug-22
in the electric smoker, do you guys add water to the water pan for smoking jerky?

thx

19-Aug-22
I've tried dozens of homemade recipes in the quest for the perfect jerky. Something about making it from scratch rather than using a mix out of a box seemed more appealing. After all that though, I've come to the conclusion that you can't beat Hi-Mountain seasoning. Pepper Blend is the best in my opinion. but every one I've tried is excellent. Just don't overcook it regardless of the seasoning you settle on. Take it out when it is dry but still flexible.

19-Aug-22
Oh man Stekewood I'm the opposite. I tried pre made blends and always found them lacking. This recipe I use now is the best jerky I've ever had bar none. Maybe I just found the perfect recipe that suits my tastes but it's better than anything I've ever had.

19-Aug-22
Got it from the internet, simple and good: 1lb ground venison; 1/3 cup worstershire sauce; 1/3 cup terayaki sauce; few shakes of onion powder; few shakes of pepper. Make about 1/4 inch thick prior to dehydration, and don’t over-dry it. Always gone within a day at my house.

20-Aug-22
Thanks all for the ideas greatly appreciated Good luck Lewis

20-Aug-22
I agree with Stekewood. High Mountain is hard to beat. Can’t go wrong with the Pepper or original blends.

20-Aug-22
Pyrannah for what it’s worth I always add a liquid and mostly always beer ?? I do that on ribs and butts Good luck Lewis

20-Aug-22
Apauls, I have tried so hard to find a homemade recipe that I could customize and call my own. Have made hundreds of pounds over the years and try new recipes every year. All of it turns out good but only the Hi Mountain has had that super WOW factor. Next batch I make, I'll try the recipe you shared. Look forward to it.

20-Aug-22
No need for any water - the point to jerky is to remove moisture.

20-Aug-22
So how is the jerky when you use ground? I’ve never had it that way but have a bunch of ground Id be willing to try it out with…you put it on smoker on a pan so it doesn’t fall thru grates?

20-Aug-22
Bought a cheapo dehydrator on Amazon a few years ago. I think it’s primarily meant to dry fruit. Works really well.

20-Aug-22
Stekewood if you’ve find what you like stick with or try and copy it. Everyone’s got different tastes not saying what I like will be good for you. But I sure love it

21-Aug-22
APauls, Your recipe looks good but it doesn't say how much curing salt to use. Talks about it, recommends it, but doesn't say how much to use.

21-Aug-22
I find these are the best threads in the off season... I needs to get me a smoker! Which one?

21-Aug-22
I went with a Masterbuilt 40 inch I had a Masterbuilt 30 for around 15 years and it served me well.My brother has a real pricey one something Tech comes to mind but I don’t think I need one for what I do. I did get the cold smoke attachment as I do a lot of fish at times.Good luck Lewis

21-Aug-22
I use 1/2 cup tender quick to 2 cups water. I cut venison about 3/8 thick if you cut it thinner it will dry quicker and tend to be dry and hard. Brine venison overnight in fridge then rince and drain thoroughly. Then add 1/2 cup dark brown sugar and 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper. Mix thoroughly and probably not necessary but I put in fridge overnight again. I use a hardwood lump coal smoker and temp and time vares with atmospheric conditions but roughly 150 degrees for 2 hours. I prefer maskeet wood chunks If you want soft jerky cut it thick and pull it earlier than you think ya should if that makes sense. This is for 2 top rounds.

21-Aug-22
JDM I used none. It never lists long enough to need curing salt. Throw it in the fridge. Still good for months

• Sitka Gear